Would you swim in a dress or skirt?

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Raakone
Member Extraordinaire

Would you swim in a dress or skirt?

Post by Raakone »

I know, the title seems odd. But, I saw this link.... https://store.daintyjewells.com/catalog ... est&page=1 They have actual "swimdresses" and "swimskirts." No, not something worn over a swimsuit, it IS the swimsuit, generally. Also, with the exception of the "Tulip" swimskirt, none of them have any kind of built in shorts or the like.

Of course, naturally, has me curious, should there be some kind of swim-skirt or swim-robe or swim-dress or swim-tunic...for men? If so, what should it be like?
Uncle Al

Re: Would you swim in a dress or skirt?

Post by Uncle Al »

IMHO, this is along the lines of Beach Wear/Party Wear.
Swim in this stuff :?: :?: :?: :?: :rofl:
Not very likely as the amount of material would help sink a person.

I visited the website and read some of the 'background' about the company
and its founder(s). By the 'speech pattern' and locations, the 'style' is along
the lines of Pentecostal/Amish faith-based ideals. Granted, some of the
outfits are very professional looking and functional. Some remind me of the
Old West or frontier period. An 'Ultra-Conservative' clothing style.

Not my cup of tea coffee :!:

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

No. Dumb. I don’t swim in a kilt or suit either!
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

Having clothes on to swim is silly. If the law absolutely requires something, it should be as little as is legally required.
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

From their site

“This swimdress was created to promote modesty while enjoying leisure activities such as light swimming and lounging. May not be appropriate for some extreme forms of exercise and swimming activities.”

It’s not really for swimming.
floatingmetal

Post by floatingmetal »

Raakone wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 8:38 pm Of course, naturally, has me curious, should there be some kind of swim-skirt or swim-robe or swim-dress or swim-tunic...for men? If so, what should it be like?
A search for “old time”, “20s” or “Victorian” and “men’s swimming costume” will answer that for you! Preferably made of wool, obviously, none of this smooth, fitted, quick drying nonsense!

I do have a swimdress, made of the same material as the integrated swimsuit and it’s fine for swimming in although it does billow somewhat when getting in the water, which can be annoying.
phathack
Member Extraordinaire

Post by phathack »

Swim Skirt. aka Skort as there's an attached set of shorts.

degs62

Post by degs62 »

The bigger question is why would you even consider it?

Swimwear is just for that swimming, so it has to be a functional garment. Females generally choose bikini or all in one swimsuits, both generally with an underwear briefs style lower part. Males generally choose 'speedo' style or boardshorts, again as a general rule similar to briefs/boxers.

I wear skirts everyday but would never consider wearing a skirt for swimming because you would still be wearing the built in underwear part.

This just smacks of kinky cross dressing to me to be honest.
rode_kater
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rode_kater »

I've considered this. Coming from Australia I can totally see some of the value of this, something you can wear all day going in and out of the water without having to worry about sunscreen for your body.

I'm personally a fan of one-pieces, especially in open water where I prefer to have that little bit of extra isolation between you and the water. When the water gets colder it's also a bit warmer. For actual swimming pools it doesn't matter so much.

But what's presented on that page as swimwear, no. That's just too weird, I don't see the use-case.
FLbreezy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by FLbreezy »

Jim wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 12:19 am Having clothes on to swim is silly. If the law absolutely requires something, it should be as little as is legally required.
Absolutely. Wet fabric is horrible...adding a skirt on top of whatever is just making it worse. I'll throw on a wrap skirt/towel after getting out of the water, but otherwise it doesn't make much sense.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

rode_kater wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 4:04 pm But what's presented on that page as swimwear, no. That's just too weird, I don't see the use-case.
Very weird, and given the clingy nature of wet fabric, seems to be self-defeating their idea of modesty (they even mention this on a product page.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Coder wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 10:09 pmVery weird, and given the clingy nature of wet fabric, seems to be self-defeating their idea of modesty (they even mention this on a product page.
Weird on the surface to be sure, but in the water things take on a different feel because things have varying degrees of buoyancy and actually tend to stand off the body a little bit. This is in sharp contrast to what happens when one gets out of the water and everything clings close.

How do I know this? 'Tis from first-hand knowledge as I have gone swimming in a long flowing garment a very long time ago and recall the sensations, 'Twas in my high-school graduation gown worn into a pool on a bit of a dare one evening, and it actually wasn't all that bad whilst in the water. Once out, though, it was bloody awful and conveyed "way too much information" about the underlying anatomy, but in the water the thing flowed about me very gracefully indeed. I would not have tried that with wool!

Just sayin'.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

I have a few of the Swim Suit skirted bottoms.
I don't swim in them. I wear them when mowing
the yard in the summer. Quite comfortable :!:

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

Yes, in a word.
Very early in my public skirting I had to travel to the coast to pick up some specially sawn timber. I had been offered the use of a caravan at a beach to stay at and I took the opportunity to go into the surf. I wore a micro mini skirt over underwear and thought that it worked well, not being any hindrance in the water but offered sufficient modesty when out. Also I wore a T-shirt in the interest of skin care, so I imagine a short dress would suffice, except that one would need a tie at the waist so it didn't float up to one's neck, as a skirt my float as far as the waist.
I think that a short skirt is a welcome addition for a male wearing speedo (budgie smuggler) type swimwear for the sake of modesty. I don't consider myself a prude but an aesthetic.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia