Have you still got your first skirt?

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Fear i Sciorta Dubh

Have you still got your first skirt?

Post by Fear i Sciorta Dubh »

There has been a lot of serious discussion around toxic masculinity and associated subjects on The Skirt Café recently so I thought I would lighten the mood somewhat. I hope people don’t mind!

I’ve been wearing skirts for about 15 years now (around the house only) and the first skirt I obtained, given to me by my wife, was about 5 years old at the time meaning this skirt is at least 20 years old. I have long since ceased to wear it but I cannot bring myself to discard it given it was my first skirt. So it is tucked away at the back of a wardrobe somewhere.

The oldest skirts I am still currently wearing are about 12 years old (so I certainly can’t be accused of encouraging fast fashion) though my most recent purchase - a midi length straight black slinky - was just last week.

Anyone else a bit sentimental about their first skirt or am I the only hoarder out there? Though from the look of SkirtsDad’s wardrobe in a photo on another thread on the board, I suspect not!
crfriend
Master Barista

Re: Have you still got your first skirt?

Post by crfriend »

Fear i Sciorta Dubh wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 5:09 pmAnyone else a bit sentimental about their first skirt or am I the only hoarder out there?
I still have the first one I wore, and it's one I made myself! Constructed from an old curtain in 2002, it still fits and still gets very occasional mileage during the summer months. It's a white mini-length of what was a sheer curtain folded over thrice to give it some opacity. It still fits, although a number of years I did manage to get a bit of hot-pink paint on it when my late ex- and I painted the rear porch/steps to the house (we wanted a Victorian feel for it, so it wound up in purple, hot pink, and electric blue).

I wore some of her skirts at the time, and what was a "maxi" on her was a "midi" on me, but our waists were roughly equivalent. Those are all long gone now, but I still have some of my own purchases from the early 2000s in the closet.

Since 2015, I've lost about 40 pounds, so quite a few of my older skirts are a bit on the "large side" although I've adapted to using braces/suspenders to hold those up since I'm almost always wearing a waistcoat. In that lot are some of my really beautiful and dramatic floor-sweepers.

So, one might call me a pack-rat too.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
mishawakaskirt
Member Extraordinaire

Post by mishawakaskirt »

Your not the only one, sentimental? Horder? Pack rat?
Maby a little bit of all of the above.

My first skirt was borrowed for my mom some time in middle school? My first bought it myself item was a blue dress, I still have it, it's faded, missing buttons, hasn't seen the light of day in 3 or 4 years.
It still fits. I bought it sometime shortly after getting my driver's license. I estimate that the dress is 29 years old.

Most of my dress trials were fails. After about 5 dresses,
I determined that I really just like skirts. Really just one measurement to worry about, and it fits. Shopping for skirts is just easier

I have a picture of my dress

Oddly, I can't remember what my first skirt purchase was.
Just the dress, I'm sure I still have it, as I have only gotten rid of a hand full of never really liked it skirts and dresses.
Or ones my waist outgrew.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mishawakaskirt @2wayskirt on Twitter

Avoid the middle man, wear a kilt or skirt.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

No. I bought it in London some 36 years ago. Since then I have moved so many times that it disappeared somewhere along the line. I remember it was a demure length (21") A-line dark blue with a central box pleat in front with a red reveal, i.e. the material inside the pleat was contrasting red.

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
JeffB1959
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JeffB1959 »

My first skirt, a knee length denim number I bought in 2008 because too big for me after a recent slimdown, so I donated it to Goodwill a year ago,
I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman.
rode_kater
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rode_kater »

I still have the first skirt I bought. It was from a second-hand store here in the area. I'd bought other things before that, like a nighty and things like that. I did go round to second-hand stores to try stuff on, but this was the first one I actually bought.

It still fits, and I really like it. I just haven't been able to find a top to go with it that doesn't look unbalanced. It's a fairly noticeable skirt and whatever I wear as a top just hasn't worked.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Fear i Sciorta Dubh wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 5:09 pmThere has been a lot of serious discussion around toxic masculinity and associated subjects on The Skirt Café recently so I thought I would lighten the mood somewhat. I hope people don’t mind!
Good idea! It has gotten a bit dark in here over the past couple of weeks.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

I've endured masculinity for the last 80+ years and I find it not in the least toxic. :wink:

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

rode_kater wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 8:30 pmI still have the first skirt I bought. It was from a second-hand store here in the area.
I'd pair that skirt with a standard dress shirt; I suspect it'd look quite sharp.

Too, thanks to this thread, I actually dug my first skirt out of the closet and got "dressed up" for an evening snowed in at home for a take-away dinner from yesterday.

The rig, from outside-in, is the original white skirt, my purple double-breasted waistcoat, a slightly abstract read/black floral print blouse, purple fishnets layered over sheers because it's cold at the moment and watching the snow fall outside wasn't helping matters, and my black heels. Why? "Because I wanted to." -- and nobody needs more of a reason than that.

If I could have two wishes granted at the moment one would be that my lady-friend would be here with me and, two, that I'd have some wood for the fireplace. I'd even move stuff around so I could light the fireplace safely! The notion of being snuggled up with someone important to you in warm surroundings is just sublime.

At least I still have an imagination!
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

I think so, and this is probably it.

I started wearing skirts for hot garden and farm work, so it's a little worse for wear, but I still use some more decrepit ones.
DSCF7162s.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

Fear i Sciorta Dubh wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 5:09 pm There has been a lot of serious discussion around toxic masculinity and associated subjects on The Skirt Café recently so I thought I would lighten the mood somewhat. I hope people don’t mind!

I’ve been wearing skirts for about 15 years now (around the house only) and the first skirt I obtained, given to me by my wife, was about 5 years old at the time meaning this skirt is at least 20 years old. I have long since ceased to wear it but I cannot bring myself to discard it given it was my first skirt. So it is tucked away at the back of a wardrobe somewhere.

The oldest skirts I am still currently wearing are about 12 years old (so I certainly can’t be accused of encouraging fast fashion) though my most recent purchase - a midi length straight black slinky - was just last week.

Anyone else a bit sentimental about their first skirt or am I the only hoarder out there? Though from the look of SkirtsDad’s wardrobe in a photo on another thread on the board, I suspect not!
Glad you’re brightening up the cafe.

I do have my first skirt but that’s not really such a feat since I’ve hardly been wearing them. But this makes me wonder if I will ever throw it out.

My first kilt will be pitched cause it’s a cheap, completely black kilt that cost <$40 from Amazon, is cheap, has broken straps already and when the black kilt I ordered from the CozyBlue folks in Lithuania comes, it will replace this cheap black kilt.
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

Yes, I still have it. It’s been worn over 1,000 times since I bought it in 1997.

It’s dark grey, 18 inches long (45cm), stretchy waist. Bought from Marks & Spencer for £18. The elastic is not quite as energetic as it used to be, but it’s still going strong. I still wear it from time to time - about 10-20 times a year now. Almost always with tights of some description. Might have been about three occasions that I was bare legged.
rivegauche
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rivegauche »

I still have a skirt I bought in 1985 in Miss Selfridge in Birmingham. It is royal blue cotton and quite long and flared, with yellow embroidered zig-zags near the me. I have all my skirts, dresses and tops catalogued and I last wore this skirt on 2013 - it probably won't survive the next wardrobe review. I have three dresses I bought in Leicester in 1982 and last wore one of these in 2014. The older ones live in the loft and need to be washed before wearing as in winter some mice also live up there so once something is in the loft it doesn't get worn much. They (the dresses, not the mice) are also unlikely to survive the next review. When I first started wearing skirts and dresses I was going for quantity rather than quality and had yet to find my style. Most of the stuff I bought then was tat and most of it has been jettisoned years ago - I am not sure how these ones got past the last wardrobe review. I need to do some sorting. I have over 1000 skirts and nearly 1400 dresses and they are beginning to take over the house so some will have to go. I have even run out of rail space in the loft (and space to put more rails!).
Last edited by rivegauche on Sat Jan 21, 2023 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

rivegauche wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 11:47 am ...It is royal blue cotton and quite long and flared, with yellow embroidered zig-zags...
Wear it to show solidarity with Ukraine.
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
Fear i Sciorta Dubh

Post by Fear i Sciorta Dubh »

rivegauche wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 11:47 am I still have a skirt I bought in 1985 in Miss Selfridge in Birmingham. It is royal blue cotton and quite long and flared, with yellow embroidered zig-zags near the me. I have all my skirts, dresses and tops catalogued and I last wore this skirt on 2013 - it probably won't survive the next wardrobe review. I have three dresses I bought in Leicester in 1982 and last wore one of these in 2014. The older ones live in the loft and need to be washed before wearing as in winter some mice also live up there so once something is in the loft it doesn't get worn much. They (the dresses, not the mice) are also unlikely to survive the next review. When I first started wearing skirts and dresses I was going for quantity rather than quality and had yet to find my style. Most of the stuff I bought then was tat and most of it has been jettisoned years ago - I am not sure how these ones got past the last wardrobe review. I need to do some sorting. I have over 1000 skirts and nearly 1400 dresses and they are beginning to take over the house so some will have to go. I have even run out of rail space in the loft (and space to put more rails!).
I’m very impressed! You have catalogued all your skirts and dresses and can tell when you last wore each. That must take some dedication and organisation.

Hopefully the mice in your loft will be gone before your next skirt/dress review!!!

You have over 1000 skirts and 1400 dresses. You must live in a mansion! Makes my 21 skirts pale into insignificance. And my wife complains that I have too many as it is :lol: