Have you still got your first skirt?

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Have you still got your first skirt?

Post by denimini »

Uncle Al wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 7:27 am How about A Stairway To Many Adventures :?:
That is a good idea. The closest I have seen to that was a huge old second hand bookstore in Sydney when there were "glaciers" of books sliding out of shelves and down stairways (on the stairs).
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
rivegauche
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rivegauche »

Uncle Al wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 7:27 am Several members have mentioned Books or Book storage problems :!:
How about A Stairway To Many Adventures :?:
A Stairway to many adventures JPG 2023-01-22.jpg

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Awesome staircase. I salute you.
rode_kater
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rode_kater »

crfriend wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 10:42 pm
rode_kater wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 8:30 pmI still have the first skirt I bought. It was from a second-hand store here in the area.
I'd pair that skirt with a standard dress shirt; I suspect it'd look quite sharp.
That's something I hadn't considered, so here are three attempts: tucked, an attempted French tuck and untucked. It actually works much better than I expected, thanks for the tip!
combined.jpg
I think I like the middle one best. Oh, I missed the best feature: it has pockets. And could probably do with an iron too. :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dust
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Dust »

I think my first skirt was a towel... I actually liked hanging around in a towel in the evenings after a shower at one time. I'd just throw on a t-shirt with it and go sit and do homework.

Then you have some homemade pants/shorts to skirt conversions. I still have one of these, don't remember if it was the first or second. My wife encouraged me to keep it, though I never wear it. It was made out of jeans and came out kind of ugly. I wore it around quite a bit during evenings and weekends in college. The other was a very old and worn out pair of gym shorts before I altered it, and it got quite a lot of use afterwards (some hiking, mostly as pajamas), but was eventually far too worn out to repair, so it went in the trash.

There were a few borrowed skirts in there. I remember particularly a denim mini I borrowed from a girl in college. It caused quite a stir with another girl there. I eventually returned it after a good bit of fun. Now I sort of want to get one like it...

My first purchased skirt was a Utilikilt. I still have it, but think I actually have another one just like it, and I'm not sure which is which. It's a basic plain black wrap one with the cargo pockets and a design from before they made them adjustable.

My first non-kilt purchased skirt was after I got out of college and really on my own with a steady job. It was shorter and thinner material than I had the nerve to wear at the time, and I purged it not long after I bought it. It was a neat design, I sort of wish I still had it. Grey with some faux-fastener type details.

I've got limited closet space (as well as funds) so I buy used (especially the kilts), and purge occasionally (but never the kilts). I could probably claim some more storage space, but I really don't need that many skirts. Most of mine are fairly plain, so why get more than about a half dozen each in black and khaki? I have more than I wear as it is...
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

I do still have my fist two skirts bought from ASDA. My wife was present and agreed to the purchase. They are denim, one blue, one black, elasticated waist and fake rear pockets sewn in. I don't really wear them much because they tend to ride down during wear so I am constantly pulling them up. I have discarded very few of the skirts I have bought. I too have loads of books and still have my record collection ( LP's and 45's ) which I play regularly enough.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Bertino56
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Bertino56 »

My first skirt, August 2015, "invisible" blue denim knee length A-line with
belt loops, front zip and pockets. Well broken-in, and faded, but intact and
entirely serviceable and comfortable. I found it at Goodwill for something
like $2.49. I have got plenty of use from it, and still have it. A perfectly
good "working-person's" garment. The label says "Old Navy Blue Jeans,"
size 18. (It's an antique, as am I.) At the time, I was really looking for a
Levi Strauss skirt, and still looking for that!
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

I'm sure I still have it, but I don't know what it was. However, the first skirt I wore out was probably this one, a Marc Jacobs green cargo skirt (back when I was in college). I found a photo of the skirt here:

https://di2ponv0v5otw.cloudfront.net/po ... 378de.jpeg

I still have it, been thinking of dusting it off and wearing it this summer.
6ft3Aussie
Member Extraordinaire

Post by 6ft3Aussie »

Yep, I still have the first skirt I bought, well more precisely a lavalava (two actually) that I bought in the Solomon Islands in 1997.
We were out in the remote villages on the south coast of Guadalcanal where the lavalava was worn by all, men and women, although worn a little differently.
So comfortable in the tropical climate.
degs62

Post by degs62 »

My first skirt was way back in my early teens 'borrowed' permanently from my older sister. I got rid of it and a small selection of underwear because looking back I was scared someone would find out and I'd be massively embarassed.

My second first skirt I still have but am about to send to charity shop, black tube skirt that I discussed with my wife prior to wearing it. Since it is now surplus to requirements, and probably too tight for regular use it can now go.

However, I own 14 other skirts so it isn't missed.
Offkilter69
Distinguished Member

Post by Offkilter69 »

I purchased my first skirt about 30 years ago: a black suede knee-length skirt. It was unfortunately purged along with a denim skirt shortly after I met my first wife, me thinking that I needed to end that secret fashion foray. A few years later after the marriage went sour, I bought a Wilson’s black leather skirt which I still have but can no longer comfortably wear after always being on the tight side. I learned that leather skirts generally run a size too small and have absolutely no give to them. I may end up giving it to my SO as she will probably rock it very well if it’s not too big for her.
Jetblasted

Post by Jetblasted »

I still have my first skirt from nine years ago, and it’s always been my #1 favorite skirt for years. It’s my daily wear in the summertime, a simple lightweight black A-Line fabric, but it’s getting really worn-out these days.

I’ve since gotten several more over the years, but it’s an old favorite.
JayB

Post by JayB »

As a matter of fact, I do! My first skirt is also my favorite skirt.

IMG_5506 (3).JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
skirtedbrit
Distinguished Member

Post by skirtedbrit »

Yes, I got a cheap dress and a skirt on Ebay whilst I was suffering a great deal of pain after groin surgery. The skirt is still used in cooler weather but the dress is a very tight fit (must have shrunk). This was about 15 years ago and one of the best things I have done, it eased the pain and i now have more confidence to wear what I want. Skirts and dresses are my normal wear and life is better for that.
alexthebird
Distinguished Member

Post by alexthebird »

I'm pretty sure I don't have my first skirt, seeing as how I bought it somewhere around 1974 and it was a size 22 (and I wear a 14 now).
Skirt18220

Post by Skirt18220 »

This seems to be a favorite topic. I still have both the first skirts I got. Bought them at a second hand store. A gray knee length A line stretchy elastic waist skirt that was originally from Walmart and a brand name Gap denim mini skirt that is sixteen inches long. I still wear them both. Not a surprising accomplishment since they are only three years old for me. I now have a total of 14 skirts. 7 are kilts. I do wear my skirts everyday at home and out and about.
I wouldn't say I so much get support from my wife as much as indifference. Pretty much the same reaction from my mid thirties daughter. I don't worry about it I do my own thing and I thoroughly enjoy the feel and comfort of a skirt.
I do find that I get a lot of positive comments from women when I am out. mostly from women that are total strangers. Fewer comments from men but I haven't really experienced any negative ones from either sex. at this time of year, in Canada, most comments are; Aren't you cold.
Yes I feel the cold but walking from the car to a building doesn't all time for getting cold.