Have you still got your first skirt?

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
rivegauche
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Have you still got your first skirt?

Post by rivegauche »

It's not a mansion but it is quite big. The rooms are large and there are five bedrooms. At my age people start thinking of downsizing. I dream of a completely new larger house with dedicated clothes storage, but it is never going to happen. To make the storage problems worse, I also have serious book and CD habits.
Fear i Sciorta Dubh

Post by Fear i Sciorta Dubh »

There’s another light-hearted subject for consideration to aid the mood lightening (though it may have been done before). I hope members don’t mind me doing this.

How many skirts/kilts/dresses do you possess?

For me it’s 21 (or possibly 22 if I count a skort I have now I come to think about it)
Fear i Sciorta Dubh

rivegauche wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 12:12 pm. To make the storage problems worse, I also have serious book and CD habits.
We have a lot of books in our house also with a huge number in the attic as well plus I got another 6 books at Christmas. My biggest problem is finding the time to read them!!!
rivegauche
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rivegauche »

Fear i Sciorta Dubh wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 12:36 pm
rivegauche wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 12:12 pm. To make the storage problems worse, I also have serious book and CD habits.
We have a lot of books in our house also with a huge number in the attic as well plus I got another 6 books at Christmas. My biggest problem is finding the time to read them!!!
I probably buy 2-3 books for every dress I buy. And sometimes when someone with similar interest to me dies, their relatives give me my pick of their book collections. I have bene known to need more than half a metre of clear shelving after a single bookshop visit. I did start cataloguing the books too, but got a hard drive failure after about 1800 and updating from the last backup was just too much hassle. There are probably about 8-9000. Most of them are non-fiction covering every subject under the sun, but especially books about Scotland. A lot are what might be called contingency reading - If I suddenly need background on some subject I have a book for that, not an app. Others I dip in and out of, and some I read. I think I only have about 4 books on styling clothes and two on fashion - but I have to get hold of a book that is just out with a chapter by me, written anonymously, on getting styled in womenswear. I was hoping I would get a copy free but no word so far.

I don't regard my preferred clothing as a problem but most people (including me) would regard the numbers as a bit bonkers. I can afford it, but that is not the point. Though the same argument could be applied to books, a book habit is looked on more favourably by society, especially in the circles I move in.
Fear i Sciorta Dubh

rivegauche wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 1:42 pm
A lot are what might be called contingency reading - If I suddenly need background on some subject I have a book for that, not an app.
Reminds me of that old chestnut in the small ads of a newspaper

FOR SALE
Complete set of Encyclopaedia Britannica - 45 volumes
Excellent condition
No longer needed
Got married last month
Wife knows everything
:wink:
Fear i Sciorta Dubh

rivegauche wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 1:42 pm I have to get hold of a book that is just out with a chapter by me, written anonymously, on getting styled in womenswear. I was hoping I would get a copy free but no word so far.
Hope you get a copy of this book you contributed to. Seems only right that you should
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

rivegauche wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 1:42 pm I think I only have about 4 books on styling clothes and two on fashion - but I have to get hold of a book that is just out with a chapter by me, written anonymously, on getting styled in womenswear. I was hoping I would get a copy free but no word so far.
Would you mind telling us what the book is?
rivegauche
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rivegauche »

Coder wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 3:28 pm
rivegauche wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 1:42 pm I think I only have about 4 books on styling clothes and two on fashion - but I have to get hold of a book that is just out with a chapter by me, written anonymously, on getting styled in womenswear. I was hoping I would get a copy free but no word so far.
Would you mind telling us what the book is?
www.gobehindthemirror.com
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

Kirbstone wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 10:12 pm I've endured masculinity for the last 80+ years and I find it not in the least toxic. :wink:
Tom
As have I Tom, and you are right it has not been the least toxic. Now some of the great unwashed have been. :lol: :lol:

Fred
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

Ok, As for do I have my first skirt. No I don't, it was self made and was a wrap around style. It was a trial balloon for my exploits into sewing. Yes I did wear it out of the house. I actually wore it to work as I worked the night shift by myself. So it got worn about twice before it became something else.

Then it was about 25 years before I wore a skirt again. I had to endure a chemical burn and infection on my bumm and inside of my legs and was forced to wear a skirt so as not to make the infection worse. That was what really got me into full time skirt wearing. I still have the skirts I bought at that time and still wear them. I have been wearing full time since 2013 and joined SC in 2016 and really enjoy the company here.

Fred
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Ozdelights
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ozdelights »

Fred in Skirts wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 7:54 pm I have been wearing full time since 2013 and joined SC in 2016 and really enjoy the company here.

Fred
And isn't it great to find good company.
Myopic Bookworm
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Myopic Bookworm »

I still have my first kilt, bought in Oxford from a travelling stall which sold ladies' tartan skirts, but would measure men for kilts, which were then custom-made in Scotland and sent down by post. I first wore it in public for Burns' Night 1987. I had it repaired for our wedding reception ten years later, and I wore it for a ball last weekend.

I also still have my first non-kilt skirt, a plain blue polyester mid-calf skirt, bought about a year ago, when I realized that I wanted to experiment with lengths and styles other than the old knee-length pleated thing, and raiding my wife's wardrobe was not going to work.
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

rivegauche wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 12:12 pm To make the storage problems worse, I also have serious book and CD habits.
I expect I have well under 100 skirts but books! I have 2687 in my catalog and can find most of them very quickly. A few are yet to be cataloged.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

I do not still have my first skirt, a black leather mini, that my partner Heather bought me as it was a bit tight at the waist. However I have since "Accumulated" 507 skirts (according to my spreadsheet). I can find most at short notice, although I tend to gather some appropriate favourites for the coming season.
I consider my self as a collector of mini skirts as a few I have bought knowing that they will not fit but they were good examples of interesting and worthy design. Also they are easier to store and maintain than vintage cars and single cylinder tractors which I used to collect. They are certainly healthier to spend money on than smoking or gambling.
I have about twice as many books and most are catagorised and accessable in shelves, however books are a staple (ho,ho) of life.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

Several members have mentioned Books or Book storage problems :!:
How about A Stairway To Many Adventures :?:
A Stairway to many adventures JPG 2023-01-22.jpg
Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)