Image v reality

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
rivegauche
Member Extraordinaire

Image v reality

Post by rivegauche »

Today I am in a skirt instead of my usual garb of a dress. Most of my clothes are high quality but this skirt was £18 full price in New Look. It is ankle length and stretchy, and doesn't quite allow me to walk with my full stride. When women wear a skirt like this it looks fabulous and I wish I was wearing such a skirt. When I do, it looks great in the mirror, but actually wearing it is very, very tedious. I am about to have a shower and will change my outfit. Seven hours in this skirt is enough. I get the same feelings about fifties dresses or skirts with huge petticoats - the reality is a lot less interesting than the thought of wearing something like this. But the look is good and women look fabulous in this type of outfit.

I suppose a third type would be skater skirts or dresses with such skirts - they look great but wearing them is a bit of a non-event. And a fourth would be skirts so long you tread on them. I avoid knee length flared skirts that hang limply because they look horrible on me - and they are not so great on women either.

Apart from the skater skirts, the floor-sweepers, stretchy tight or hobble skirts, and the rock 'n' roll look, almost any skirt is fantastic to wear. Though some people might put pencil skirts in the same category I rather like them. It leaves me a huge range of skirt types that feel as good as they look.
Fear i Sciorta Dubh

Re: Image v reality

Post by Fear i Sciorta Dubh »

I have spent the last 2 days in a New Look olive green midi skirt - one of only a few non-black skirts in my wardrobe - which I robbed from my wife as she wasn’t really wearing it (slinky material 93% polyester 7% elastene) and to be honest that slightly restricted feeling on the lower legs as you walk is one of the skirt sensations I really like. The feeling of the slinky material sliding up my calves to the backs of my knees going up stairs is very particularly pleasant.

My preference is for straight skirts though almost all of my skirts have some elastene in them so I’m not familiar with the sensation of no give in the material of the lower skirt.

Like rivegauche I love the look of a straight midi skirt and high heels on women. To me it is by far the sexiest style of skirt.
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

Fear i Sciorta Dubh wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 5:45 pm I have spent the last 2 days in a New Look olive green midi skirt - one of only a few non-black skirts in my wardrobe - which I robbed from my wife as she wasn’t really wearing it (slinky material 93% polyester 7% elastene) and to be honest that slightly restricted feeling on the lower legs as you walk is one of the skirt sensations I really like. The feeling of the slinky material sliding up my calves to the backs of my knees going up stairs is very particularly pleasant.

My preference is for straight skirts though almost all of my skirts have some elastene in them so I’m not familiar with the sensation of no give in the material of the lower skirt.

Like rivegauche I love the look of a straight midi skirt and high heels on women. To me it is by far the sexiest style of skirt.
Since the pandemic, it seems many of the designers are now including a bit of stretch in the waistbands. It just makes sense. Why be constricted
Fear i Sciorta Dubh

ScotL wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 11:58 am
Fear i Sciorta Dubh wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 5:45 pm I have spent the last 2 days in a New Look olive green midi skirt - one of only a few non-black skirts in my wardrobe - which I robbed from my wife as she wasn’t really wearing it (slinky material 93% polyester 7% elastene) and to be honest that slightly restricted feeling on the lower legs as you walk is one of the skirt sensations I really like. The feeling of the slinky material sliding up my calves to the backs of my knees going up stairs is very particularly pleasant.

Since the pandemic, it seems many of the designers are now including a bit of stretch in the waistbands. It just makes sense. Why be constricted
The stretch in the waistband certainly makes a lot of sense in my case. And even more so since Christmas!!! Unfortunately it’s not great weather for walking at the moment - very wet and windy - so I might have to dust down the clothes horse (aka the exercise bike) in the bedroom to try to lose some of those extra pounds/kilos!!!
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

Fear i Sciorta Dubh wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 5:07 pm
ScotL wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 11:58 am

The stretch in the waistband certainly makes a lot of sense in my case. And even more so since Christmas!!! Unfortunately it’s not great weather for walking at the moment - very wet and windy - so I might have to dust down the clothes horse (aka the exercise bike) in the bedroom to try to lose some of those extra pounds/kilos!!!
Hahaha! Good luck my friend. I’m trying to do the same. I have a half marathon coming up and I’m not quite there yet
Fear i Sciorta Dubh

ScotL wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 4:04 am
Hahaha! Good luck my friend. I’m trying to do the same. I have a half marathon coming up and I’m not quite there yet
And good luck to you in your preparations and training for the half marathon. I am well past that stage I’m afraid. 18 holes of golf is as much as I can manage nowadays! And wearing about 4 layers to keep out the wind chill!
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

Fear i Sciorta Dubh wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 12:06 am
ScotL wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 4:04 am
And good luck to you in your preparations and training for the half marathon. I am well past that stage I’m afraid. 18 holes of golf is as much as I can manage nowadays! And wearing about 4 layers to keep out the wind chill!
Thank you. I am so badly not ready but run 11.5 miles this weekend in anticipation. In a kilt. So, I’ll at least turn some heads