Will skirts for men finally catch on in Generation Z?

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Will skirts for men finally catch on in Generation Z?

Post by Barleymower »

crfriend wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 5:32 pm
Barleymower wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 5:10 pmUntil your own partner sees you.
Men on the whole are more straight forward eg 'that's gay mate'. Women like to sit on the fence and move with crowd. Until confronted, then they'll say 'go out like that and I leave you'
Yes, that seems to be the observed state of things. Women are OK with the notion -- on other guys -- but when their man decides to give it a go they can get very, very "anti".
Admittedly I have been very lucky [with] a plucky wife who will grit her teeth and smile, saying 'OK let's go'
You're fortunate. I'm still trying to light off a romance with a woman who has never been ashamed to be seen with me in public and who has stated several times that I look good in what I wear. It's just that there's a whole lot of mess as the moment that I sadly walked into at a bad time.

Here's hoping that your little one recovers from his grandmother's snide crack soon.
I thought I would lead by example and yesterday donned my blue knee length skirt. Today he's back in his favourite fluffy underskirt.
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

Coder wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 5:28 pm
Barleymower wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 5:10 pm Men on the whole are more straight forward eg 'that's gay mate'.
Or awful euphemisms - "don't get your panties in a bunch". I heard that last night watching - please forgive me - "The Expendables 3". Heck, I've even heard my dad asking stuff like, "Is he gay?" in reference to guys who wear colorful outfits. It's laughable (and sad at the same time).
I really feel for men in general in this situation. Men do like to dress up, men are natural peacocks however nearly everything they had has been feminised and taken away. Men want to swagger around feeling great but generally don't want to appear feminine, that would be gay and imply that they would like to 'do it' with men. Which they don't. Women have less of an issue with it and can be masculine or feminine without losing any self respect. It an odd situation we have today.
I've rambling a bit but coming back to Coders Dad. He sounds like most men over compensating :).
I'm sure they say all this stuff to deflect attention away before someone spots them moving their hand towards that silky little number.
FLbreezy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by FLbreezy »

Coder wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 5:04 pm The other problem I had with that sub - it's way too positive. People sometimes post poor fits and people say "looking good girl". First off, I think they did not read rule #1, and secondly, constructive criticism should be welcome. I've asked for it here, and people ask it on other reddit subs, but for some reasons one can't make suggestions because that would be hurtful? Granted, there should be no mean comments, but saying things like "wear the skirt higher/lower, try a different top, etc..." should be par for the course. Men/women helping men figure skirts out.

I guess I'm too stuck in the "normalize skirts for men as menswear (but menswear for men, not menswear for women)*" mindset, and "there should be a viable design language for men wearing skirts that isn't just kilt-inspired**".
Oh for sure, I got dumped on a few too many times for making what I thought was a helpful comment just as you describe. Are we all there trying to help each other figure this thing out, or is it just a cheerleading section?

Your comment about "design language" is spot-on. I don't have in-person co-workers so my bar is pretty low, if it looks better than a toddler dressing themselves when I'm out and about and is comfortable I'm good to go. 8) It'd be great to have guidance around as to what works though, a lot of guys grow up not ever thinking too much about it so it's not a learned skill.

OK, back to getting Debian to work with this SFP+ NIC...while wearing a skirt.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

Barleymower wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 7:03 pm I've rambling a bit but coming back to Coders Dad. He sounds like most men over compensating :).
I don't think that's it - he's genuinely a nice guy. But I don't think he would accept my skirt wearing. It's just - there are all of these misconceptions when it comes to fashion, masculinity, etc... and it's generational (to some extent, but the knowledge/behavior is passed down). And the thing is, the attitude is taken for granted / "it's just the way the world works".

How do we "wake" people up? I don't know.
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

Coder wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 7:41 pm
Barleymower wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 7:03 pm I've rambling a bit but coming back to Coders Dad. He sounds like most men over compensating :).
I don't think that's it - he's genuinely a nice guy. But I don't think he would accept my skirt wearing. It's just - there are all of these misconceptions when it comes to fashion, masculinity, etc... and it's generational (to some extent, but the knowledge/behavior is passed down). And the thing is, the attitude is taken for granted / "it's just the way the world works".

How do we "wake" people up? I don't know.
I didn't mean to imply that your dad is not nice man. Only that in order to survive in the world as we know it we end up over compensating.
How do we wake people up? I really don't know. Being 'woke' is practically an insult and it shouldn't be.
I think I'm doing the only thing I can do, that is normalising skirt wearing. Whenever I go to London I wear a skirt. Last time I wore a tarten pleated skirt wrap. I was told I got a lot less looks than I usually get. I really want other men to enjoy this like I do.

If I can make a suggestion: talk to him. I talked to my Dad and at first he struggled with it saying he was OK then saying "you are not going out like that are you?" And "OK the skirt but the tights are too much" then my youngest in a tutu. Now he says "oh what does it really matter?"
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Coder wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 7:41 pm How do we "wake" people up? I don't know.
Easy, Coder, we just do what we have to do.
People aren't asleep about men-in-skirts, they normally don't care that much.
That is, unless it affects them personally or they have a deeper prejudice.
As for "generations", apart from the "bloody minded relations" I have found I have found positives and negatives from all the age ranges.
Steve.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Coder wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 7:41 pmHow do we "wake" people up? I don't know.
Lead by example, and make it a compelling one. That's the best plan.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

STEVIE wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 8:15 pm
Coder wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 7:41 pm How do we "wake" people up? I don't know.
Easy, Coder, we just do what we have to do.
People aren't asleep about men-in-skirts, they normally don't care that much.
That is, unless it affects them personally or they have a deeper prejudice.
As for "generations", apart from the "bloody minded relations" I have found I have found positives and negatives from all the age ranges.
Steve.
It reminds me that progress has been made, a lot of progress. In the 80's you really would have been laughed at in the street.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

Barleymower wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 8:02 pm I didn't mean to imply that your dad is not nice man. Only that in order to survive in the world as we know it we end up over compensating.
Gotcha! I wondered if that was what you were saying. I think it's evolutionary to some extent, biological imperative or whatever.
STEVIE wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 8:15 pm As for "generations", apart from the "bloody minded relations" I have found I have found positives and negatives from all the age ranges.
That's the part that hurts the most. Complete strangers or even work colleagues (knock on wood) so far have been respectful. I just don't see that happening with people who, you know, are family. Maybe I don't give them enough credit, but if my mom is any indication, I'm not looking forward to my sister's or dad's reaction.
crfriend wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 8:20 pm Lead by example, and make it a compelling one. That's the best plan.
Yarggg, got me there. I'm doing it, when I get a chance, but I go out maybe twice a week - once to work (usually skirted), another to church (pants).
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

Coder wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 8:28 pm
Barleymower wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 8:02 pm I didn't mean to imply that your dad is not nice man. Only that in order to survive in the world as we know it we end up over compensating.
Gotcha! I wondered if that was what you were saying. I think it's evolutionary to some extent, biological imperative or whatever.
STEVIE wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 8:15 pm As for "generations", apart from the "bloody minded relations" I have found I have found positives and negatives from all the age ranges.
That's the part that hurts the most. Complete strangers or even work colleagues (knock on wood) so far have been respectful. I just don't see that happening with people who, you know, are family. Maybe I don't give them enough credit, but if my mom is any indication, I'm not looking forward to my sister's or dad's reaction.
crfriend wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 8:20 pm Lead by example, and make it a compelling one. That's the best plan.
Yarggg, got me there. I'm doing it, when I get a chance, but I go out maybe twice a week - once to work (usually skirted), another to church (pants).
I don"t think it is a biological imperative. If all men dressed in tutus and bright red lipstick, mankind would survive as long as men still fancied women and the women would swifty adapt. My daughter asked "what if the whole world was gay?" We would be extinct in a100 years.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Coder wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 8:28 pm
I wasn't "calling you out" on that one, but merely stating that sometimes if something needs doing frequently the best bet is to simply roll up our sleeves and do it ourselves -- because likely no-one is going to do it for us.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

Barleymower wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 8:36 pm I don"t think it is a biological imperative. If all men dressed in tutus and bright red lipstick, mankind would survive as long as men still fancied women and the women would swifty adapt. My daughter asked "what if the whole world was gay?" We would be extinct in a100 years.
I'm just saying biology/evolution drives people/animals/organisms to survive, thrive, expand. Anything that prevents that is often ostracized - regardless of how large humanity is now, it wasn't this large thousands of years ago and simple illnesses could spell doom for a tribe. I feel like we are all still sometimes living our ancestor's lifestyles of yore.
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

This concept has been discussed so many times and in many different ways,
yielding the same results, NOTHING :!:

So, to sum this up a bit:
Snoopy - Life Has No Remote JPG 2023-01-06.jpg
Stop being charter members of the B.M.W.(B!tch, Moan and Whine) society :!:
BE the change you want to see for all mankind :!:
Stop waiting for others to take the lead :!:
Stop wanting to be in second place :!:

So far, in almost all of the threads about this, EVERYONE gripes about
WHEN this will be. The WHEN is now, just get up off your duff's and DO IT :!: :cussing:

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
rode_kater
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rode_kater »

Barleymower wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 8:36 pm My daughter asked "what if the whole world was gay?" We would be extinct in a100 years.
I wonder. Being gay only describes who you are attracted to, it doesn't make you sterile. Near as I can tell gay people want children just as much as everyone else. If the whole world was gay I think family units would consist of 4 adults, two males, two females + children. Thinking about it, that might actually be an improvement.
Myopic Bookworm
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Myopic Bookworm »

Barleymower wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 6:43 pm I thought I would lead by example and yesterday donned my blue knee length skirt. Today he's back in his favourite fluffy underskirt.
Great to hear that. It suggests that, as in many contexts, actions speak louder than words.