Will skirts for men finally catch on in Generation Z?

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Will skirts for men finally catch on in Generation Z?

Post by Barleymower »

Uncle Al wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 9:41 pm This concept has been discussed so many times and in many different ways,
yielding the same results, NOTHING :!:

So, to sum this up a bit:

Snoopy - Life Has No Remote JPG 2023-01-06.jpg

Stop being charter members of the B.M.W.(B!tch, Moan and Whine) society :!:
BE the change you want to see for all mankind :!:
Stop waiting for others to take the lead :!:
Stop wanting to be in second place :!:

So far, in almost all of the threads about this, EVERYONE gripes about
WHEN this will be. The WHEN is now, just get up off your duff's and DO IT :!: :cussing:

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
A lot of us are doing that already.
So let's do something else. What do you suggest?
new2skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by new2skirts »

Barleymower wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 6:24 pm
Uncle Al wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 9:41 pm This concept has been discussed so many times and in many different ways,
yielding the same results, NOTHING :!:

So, to sum this up a bit:

Snoopy - Life Has No Remote JPG 2023-01-06.jpg

Stop being charter members of the B.M.W.(B!tch, Moan and Whine) society :!:
BE the change you want to see for all mankind :!:
Stop waiting for others to take the lead :!:
Stop wanting to be in second place :!:

So far, in almost all of the threads about this, EVERYONE gripes about
WHEN this will be. The WHEN is now, just get up off your duff's and DO IT :!: :cussing:

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
A lot of us are doing that already.
So let's do something else. What do you suggest?
If getting out of a BMW, especially a low one, keep your knees together or wear dark panties :mrgreen:

Relying on others rarely brings about change, but seeing more celebrities wear skirts or dresses to events, even if just for attention, would have been unheard of ten years ago, so there's some progress in that. Frequent hot weather headlines in the UK seem to mention men in skirts, either driving buses, at school or on building sites :wink:
Formerly Kilty / Joe Public etc...
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

new2skirts wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 7:23 pm Relying on others rarely brings about change,
Sorry NTS but relying on others NEVER brings about change.
It is only the actions of those "others" that affect the change, not those sitting on the proverbial fence.
Celebrities, male and female, donning certain outfits for attention has a longer history than ten years, I assure you.
Finally, the seasonal outbreaks of boys and men wearing skirts are just token stunts or semi humorous protests.
None of these things or the de-gendering of school uniforms have brought the change any nearer either.
In the words of the song "Wishing won't make it so".
I don't actually believe that there is alternative course open to us.
Go out loud and proud or don't, your choice!
Quite simple when you cut the c***p, isn't it?
Steve.
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

STEVIE wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 11:33 pm
new2skirts wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 7:23 pm Relying on others rarely brings about change,
It is only the actions of those "others" that affect the change, not those sitting on the proverbial fence.
Celebrities, male and female, donning certain outfits for attention has a longer history than ten years, I assure you.
Finally, the seasonal outbreaks of boys and men wearing skirts are just token stunts or semi humorous protests.
None of these things or the de-gendering of school uniforms have brought the change any nearer either.
Steve.
I was going to suggest that we as a group could email school or respective towns/cities across the globe and ask them to consider making skirts open to boys and girls and any bullying will result in suspension. There should also be a gender free day at school where everyone wears skirts
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Barleymower wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 8:57 am I was going to suggest that we as a group could email school or respective towns/cities across the globe
Nice try BM, but there aren't many places on this planet actually unaware that men/boys can wear skirts or dresses.
However, there are also places where it is legally classed as a "homosexual" practice and could mean imprisonment.
In addition, countless other areas where societal attitude would just make it downright dangerous.
There are local neighbourhoods where I'd not likely go skirted and certainly not in darkness.
I really don't believe there is more affirmative action that we can take other than being seen out, about, loud and proud.
Other than that, spread the message as far and as wide as you possibly can by whatever means are at your disposal.
I wonder how many email addresses would be involved too?

Steve
6ft3Aussie
Member Extraordinaire

Post by 6ft3Aussie »

I know that where my wife is from in the Philippines, that for a bloke to wear a dress would be seen as gay, and therefore an abomination.

A kilt on some special occasions probably OK or a sarong around the house, OK.

It is a fairly conservative catholic country. She's fine with whatever I wear though, certainly here downunder.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

Barleymower wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 8:57 am I was going to suggest that we as a group could email school or respective towns/cities across the globe
I think it would be kind of weird/out of place to email a bunch of schools you don’t know or don’t have kids going to the school - what right do you have to suggest some random school district change their rules/regulations? It’s not like MIS is some non-profit advocacy group. Especially with how peer pressure is, I doubt such changes would result in any measurable change in perception amongst the students, and in fact it would probably result in NEGATIVE reactions, especially amongst parents, the British tabloids, and Fox News. And frankly, I myself wouldn’t want some outsider telling my school how to school. I know I’d not have had the courage when in grade school had they changed the rules - bullying was a thing and I would have been bullied.
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

In reply to Stevie and Coder.
I agree that pinging emails to dodgy areas of towns and unsympathetic countries is a bad idea. BUT the is scope to do something other walking around on your own.
I would not force any school to take part. I would ask them to think about putting on an event. If they did it then they would need to think about consequences and what they would do in the event.
new2skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by new2skirts »

STEVIE wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 11:33 pm
Steve.
So true! Those who are out and about before posting their day on popular platforms like Instagram and Reddit are already out, loud and proud. Gen Z is more like Gen X , but if you choose to wear a skirt will think "that's different", shrug their shoulders and carry on with their day. The praise on such sites comes from likeminded folk with the same interests.

The de-gendering of uniforms has been done by woke people pleasers, but to be honest those who are non binary would be the ones clamouring to wear a skirted uniform on a plane, most women may just be happy for the option of more comfortable trousers if they pick from the other side of the aisle.

There is no alternative course available, the choice is in your hands :)
Formerly Kilty / Joe Public etc...
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Barleymower wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 8:57 amI was going to suggest that we as a group could email school or respective towns/cities across the globe and ask them to consider making skirts open to boys and girls and any bullying will result in suspension. There should also be a gender free day at school where everyone wears skirts.
Offhand, I'd leave that idea quite well alone -- for several reasons.

1) Bullying need not be physical. In fact the most successful bullies are the ones that use psychology as the weapon for the simple reason that it leaves no scars that are visible to anyone but the bullied.

2) The boys themselves will police each other using whatever methods work to make sure that nobody "gets out of line". Men are their own worst enemies in this regard as well, so there's nothing new there.

3) A "gender free" day would likely arouse the ire of assorted Conservatives and would only result in the continuation of the status quo where the boys would only wear trousers and the girls would continue to wear precisely what they wish, which is usually trousers.

Yep. I'd walk away from that idea.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

crfriend wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 1:30 pm
Barleymower wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 8:57 amI was going to suggest that we as a group could email school or respective towns/cities across the globe and ask them to consider making skirts open to boys and girls and any bullying will result in suspension. There should also be a gender free day at school where everyone wears skirts.
Offhand, I'd leave that idea quite well alone -- for several reasons.

1) Bullying need not be physical. In fact the most successful bullies are the ones that use psychology as the weapon for the simple reason that it leaves no scars that are visible to anyone but the bullied.

2) The boys themselves will police each other using whatever methods work to make sure that nobody "gets out of line". Men are their own worst enemies in this regard as well, so there's nothing new there.

3) A "gender free" day would likely arouse the ire of assorted Conservatives and would only result in the continuation of the status quo where the boys would only wear trousers and the girls would continue to wear precisely what they wish, which is usually trousers.

Yep. I'd walk away from that idea.
1. That does not mean that we should give in to it.
2. Men are scared, weak if you like. Frightened they going to get found out that masculinity is a facade. Men need to realise that men and women are not that different. It's ok to like nice things.
3. So we give in before someone gets a chance stand on their little soap box? Yes women do choose trousers. By all accounts they feel safer that way.
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

crfriend wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 1:06 am
ScotL wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 12:41 amYou’re suggesting everyone is clueless but you who see it.
No, I am but suggesting that only a plurality of the population is clueless as to what's going on -- and that, too, is easy to see why. Step back from the problem and look at it from different angles -- and beware that there is more than just one problem in play, because there are several, most of which play upon emotions in problematic ways. However, I suspect this line of thought is not going to show any headway so I'll just let it drop here.
The human brain is wired to believe that big events have big reasons behind them. In other words, large scale things like a global economy or pandemic MUST have some large controlling force dictating them. In reality, these things are too large to be controlled by one large force. But our minds cannot accept this and movies have always I fluenced our thoughts.
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

Barleymower wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 9:25 am
ScotL wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 12:46 am
Barleymower wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 7:14 pm
You are are right there is no big mind control. If people choose to believe the sanctioned news sources, that's their choice. That's what it is there for.
Think of a country as a company, a company that cares more about wealth and power over its people.
Here’s the “funny” thing about sanctioned news sources. People always claim the media is false yet to prove that, you’d have to know the truth. And unless you can be everywhere at once, you can’t independently sanction each news story. So you have to get the informations from, wait for it, the media. Ever wonder why the “sanctioned news sources” are the exact news sources that state things you don’t want to believe?

That’s actually a proven thing from the University of Michigan I think. People only trust news sources that state an already held position. In other words, news sources that provide information that runs counter to what you already believe are called untrustworthy.

No one likes to hear the truth when it contradicts what you believe. We’d rather kill the messenger than contemplate the truth.
The facts presented on sanctioned news outlets is true. It is true, biased and exaggerated towards a particular view point. Other equally important news is omitted. The pandemic was a very good example. Covid 24/7.
Here’s the funny thing about your viewpoint. You suggest “other equally important news” is omitted. Yet you somehow know this “other equally important news”. How is that? How are you the ONLY one of all of us who know this “other equally important news” that has been omitted. Ever wonder how you and the many others who scream the real news isn’t being stated are the only ones to know it?

Somehow this “other equally important news” is omitted to all but you.

Is it possible you just don’t like the truth as it is and are wishing for an alternative? Like we all were hoping for an alternative to such a horrible event. “The pandemic was a very good example. Covid 24/7.”
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

pelmut wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 12:20 pm
ScotL wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 12:46 am ... People always claim the media is false yet to prove that, you’d have to know the truth. And unless you can be everywhere at once, you can’t independently sanction each news story.
Not necessarily.  If a news story reports 500,000 deaths from Covid on the Isle of Wight, and the total population of the IoW is 150,000 you know the story is false.  You don't have to investigate every single death or even know the truth about the actual death toll to prove it.  Similarly many other 'news' stories can be reasonably assumed to be false, or attempting to create a false impression, by anyone with a little bit of basic background knowledge.
When did 500,000 deaths from COVID get reported in the Isle of Wight by the health department? When I look, there’s only 182,000 reported COVID deaths in the UK.

You may want to look into the Dunning Kruger effect.
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

ScotL wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 1:13 pm
pelmut wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 12:20 pm
ScotL wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 12:46 am ... People always claim the media is false yet to prove that, you’d have to know the truth. And unless you can be everywhere at once, you can’t independently sanction each news story.
Not necessarily.  If a news story reports 500,000 deaths from Covid on the Isle of Wight, and the total population of the IoW is 150,000 you know the story is false.  You don't have to investigate every single death or even know the truth about the actual death toll to prove it.  Similarly many other 'news' stories can be reasonably assumed to be false, or attempting to create a false impression, by anyone with a little bit of basic background knowledge.
When did 500,000 deaths from COVID get reported in the Isle of Wight by the health department? ...
Please note the word "if" which I have emboldened in the quote.
Last edited by pelmut on Mon Jan 09, 2023 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.