Étalon Men's skirt/short

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Étalon Men's skirt/short

Post by Coder »

https://etalonbysc.com/products/mens-sk ... detachable

Here's a weird mishmash. Not a skort - rather they appear to sell a pair of shorts with a complementary "skirt panel" that can be optionally wrapped around. I don't quite know when convertibility would be warranted - curious what other's think.
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Étalon Men's skirt/short

Post by r.m.anderson »

Étalon Mens Skirt / Short
Removable Skirt Panel With Adjustable Closure
Skirt Has A Minimal Monogram Print
Shorts Come With Side Pockets & Elastic Waistband For Ultimate Comfort
Skirt Length Approx: 21.5 Inches (Size Medium)
Short Length Approx: 19.5 Inches (Size Medium)
100% Polyester

xxxxx

Convertible - shorts with a cover-up skirt closing ?

Interior structure not shown or even hinted !

{Removable Skirt Pannel With Adjustable Closure}

Looks to be kilt hem length (waist to knee)
Large knife one-directional pleats all around except missing at left side closing !
Small sizing nothing to fit a full size bloke
Wrap skirt fastening with belt thru buckle tab off left hip

Seems fair priced at $138

Nice looking - BUT not my forte !
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
Myopic Bookworm
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Myopic Bookworm »

Bizarre! It would make a nice skirt if it didn't have the shorts (and the gap). I am hoping to find some skirts that resemble kilts in length but are pleated all the way around.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

Myopic Bookworm wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 3:46 pm Bizarre! It would make a nice skirt if it didn't have the shorts (and the gap). I am hoping to find some skirts that resemble kilts in length but are pleated all the way around.
I like the asymmetry/contrast of color and style (pleat vs unpleated). Looks a bit avant-garde? But it's a shame it's shorts. But hey - a thread elsewhere asked what would it take guys to wear a skirt, and I think this kind of thing might help. They can feel comfortable in their masculinity (shorts, yeah shorts) and adding the panel can be waved off as vaguely "kilt-like'.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Not sure what the point of this is. Is the idea to get men to wear something skirt like without being a complete skirt?

BTW, it seems too small in the waist to fit me.
Midas
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Midas »

Typical skirt aimed at men. Drab, unattractive and overpriced. There are lots of stylish, cheap and dark coloured skirts out there for starters.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Well, I will say that having pleats in front is somewhat innovative. With kilts, there are pleats in the rear, and what is basically a flat panel in front.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Emmm, pleats all round on a skirt,
Grok wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 4:53 pmsomewhat innovative.
, not really Grok.
There are loads out there and have been since Hector was a pup.
Grok wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 7:13 pm Not sure what the point of this is. Is the idea to get men to wear something skirt like without being a complete skirt?
When is a skirt not "complete"? When it is marketed to gullible and unconfident guys is when. Likewise the matching shorts, another unnecessary sop.
Wear what makes you comfortable, not the sales pitch. In this case, weather, dress accordingly, avoid exposure if it bothers you.
Midas wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 12:07 pm Typical skirt aimed at men.
Yup!
Steve
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

Coder wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 1:31 am https://etalonbysc.com/products/mens-sk ... detachable

Here's a weird mishmash. Not a skort - rather they appear to sell a pair of shorts with a complementary "skirt panel" that can be optionally wrapped around. I don't quite know when convertibility would be warranted - curious what other's think.
I think it’s brilliant. There’s absolutely no functional need for the wrap around skirt except to introduce men to wearing a skirt. Technically, not a skirt. So the male can brave it out that he’s just wearing a pair of shorts.

But the shorts provide that security blanket of not exposing the underwear if you’re not careful. As men’s clothing has no risk of indecent exposure, the shorts provides men with a level of comfort to begin skirting. And to get used to being cognizant of the potential for flashing if not careful.

The only better thing that this garment could have is a detachable short. So men could start wearing the shorts/skirt skort ensemble and lose the shorts when they gain the courage. I have a few skirts that snap in the middle. Create a “shorts” look. I once wore them in a foreign city where no one could possibly know me. Went out snapped and walked a mile or two before gaining the courage to unsnap.

And this garment pulls in aspects of the kilt. Which unless you’re brainless, is a skirt. It’s a skirt accepted for men to wear but by practical definition, is a skirt. So adding this touch to the garment further eases a man’s profound anxiety that accompanies the wearing of clothing traditionally associated with women.

And in a quid pro quo is also something the man’s female companion can wrap her head around as in well, it’s a man’s skirt but really just shorts. So she can accept it also.

Until both get comfortable with him wearing it and a la the emperors new clothes, they see oh, it’s just clothing that didn’t turn the man into anything more than someone able to be comfortable wearing what they want.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

One more way to separate the sucker from his money.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

crfriend wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 12:36 pm One more way to separate the sucker from his money.
In what way - besides the cost? We've seen a lot of products sold as "kilts" when they are glorified skirts - bearing little to no resemblance to a kilt. To me, those products are disingenuous and "fool" the purchaser. This product - while I'm not totally enamored with it - is at least honest about what it is, a "skirt short". Even if we don't like the design, some might.

Even if a guy buys this and wears it in skirt form to a few parties or the club, from a distance it will appear to be a skirt. The shorts are shorter than the skirt, so they (presumably) won't be seen.

I dunno - I feel like these retailers - putting out skirted products for men - is what we've been hoping for all these years. We might not like the design/color, but each product is a chip at the "old way" and it paves the way for acceptance all around. Plus, other retailers will be jealous, will do their own market research, and will do trial balloon products (re: Adidas).
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Coder wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 12:53 pm
crfriend wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 12:36 pmOne more way to separate the sucker from his money.
In what way - besides the cost?
What we have here is an up-sized little girl's garment in drab boring colours and of drab boring fabric -- and it's got a inbuilt inseam. What is the point?
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

crfriend wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 1:43 pm What we have here is an up-sized little girl's garment in drab boring colours and of drab boring fabric -- and it's got a inbuilt inseam. What is the point?
First off - I'm just not that in tune with what girls wear, haven't been a parent and never had to shop for one. I have a younger sister, but she never had anything like this. They make skorts for women (and kids), and there is a reason for the inseam (being active / prevent exposure).

As far as what's the point - not entirely sure myself. For the buyer, perhaps it makes people feel edgy while feeling safe? I do not go commando, but I have a self-perceived difference when I'm wearing a skirt vs skirt with tights vs skort (full wrap design). For the uninitiated, baby steps - and a combo like this might go a long way to introduce the concept of a men's skirt. In person it probably looks like a skirt, so observers might consider it for themselves as well. The retailer can claim they sell men's skirts (progressive) without committing a lot of money - if the product doesn't sell they could remove the skirt panel and sell them as shorts (possibly at the same price).

Colors - I think it would take a seismic shift to introduce a new garment and new colors to men. I feel like it's one or the other, and I'd rather see skirts be promoted than color. Color is much easier to adopt and wear than a skirt, and I don't care if other guys wear colors that are drab.

I realize that the benefit of a skirt is no inseam... but I think a lot of the conversation here dwells too much on inseams. Yes, they are unconformable, but I don't think that's what regular people on the street will focus on. If inseam's were the devil, they would have been weeded out of fashion when they were first developed, except specialized use cases. Instead they are the norm.
GerdG
Member Extraordinaire

Post by GerdG »

I think this 3/4-skirt from Ëtalon really has potential to lure rather ordinary men into skirts.
GerdG

There ARE viable alternatives to trousers.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Coder wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 2:31 pm First off - I'm just not that in tune with what girls wear, haven't been a parent and never had to shop for one. I have a younger sister, but she never had anything like this. They make skorts for women (and kids), and there is a reason for the inseam (being active / prevent exposure).
That's OK, it's a little girl's style from a long-ago yesteryear, and was already largely obsolescent when I was a youngster but still existed in the wild -- this being more than a half-century ago. It was also a "gateway garment" that was present at the beginning of the demise of skirts for women.