Discoveries when you started wearing skirts

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
FLbreezy
Member Extraordinaire

Discoveries when you started wearing skirts

Post by FLbreezy »

I've been thinking about my experiences with skirts over the past almost 2 years and things that were new discoveries for me. Be interested to hear what others found out as well.
  • I never noticed how high the waist is when a woman wears a skirt, it just never occurred to me. Now I notice quite plainly that the waist is generally worn near the belly button, not lower on the hips. I think this has the effect of making legs look longer.
  • As Jeff from Coupling said: "You know what's great about skirts? When a woman's wearing a skirt, you know, you know that somewhere in that room, shifting all the time, there is the VAA: the Visual Access Angle. A clear line of sight back to base camp." :lol: And of course I was sort of used to that feeling, from the perspective of the male gaze, but not at all from the other side of things. That subtle mental background task of keeping track of your potential exposure is a learned habit.
  • Grasping a bit of the extra fabric of your skirt in one hand while walking or standing around is an interesting habit that seems to have come out of nowhere for me.
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Discoveries when you started wearing skirts

Post by pelmut »

Feeling the cold air flowing across the supermarket aisle from the freezers and chillers.

Curling up on the floor in front of the wood stove at my nieces house, with my legs and feet completely wrapped up in a long thick full skirt.

Dressing in perfect decency in a cramped camper van by pulling a skirt on over my head before getting out of my sleeping bag.

Realising I had developed the habit of swinging my hips to throw a heavy Winter's skirt clear of obstacles.  (I caught myself doing this once when wearing trousers!)

Automatically lifting the skirt when going up stairs or steps.

Realising on the hottest day of the Summer that I wasn't suffering from the heat as much as I had done on less-hot days in the past when I wore trousers.

Finding my spare clothing could be carried in a much smaller bag than before.
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

1. Skirts may be cooler than shorts. During the hottest days of summer, shorts can hold the heat in at the crotch, resulting in sweaty underwear.

2. I recall posting about this before. The Macabi knee length could be described as a rather narrow A-line. Too narrow to be blown up by the wind. I was wearing such on a windy if otherwise mild day. The skirt gave me the sense of being clothed below the waist, while wind swirled up the skirt, caressing the skin on the inner surfaces of my legs.
CCNC

Post by CCNC »

The way my denim mini pulls at the thighs when taking longer strides or going up steps

Learning to Automatically smooth our my skirt when I sit

How a longer skirt brushes my tights at the ankles when I walk

Learning to spread my legs in a skirt when I drop something In my lap instead of legs together

My legs look great in a skirt!
Myopic Bookworm
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Myopic Bookworm »

Getting into the driving seat of a car really is not straightforward in a short skirt, especially if it is a high-friction material such as suede or corduroy.

A decorative buckle at the top of a boot is capable of wrecking the hem of a midi-length skirt. (That one just cost me £38 to the seamstress.)

You have to think consciously about how/where you are going to carry a phone.

Waist sizes really matter, but the sizing of skirts is based on flattery and lies.
Dust
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Dust »

I could mention the smoothing-out-the-back-as-you-sit-down thing, or figuring out which kind of skirts I could take stairs two at a time in. Or conversely realizing just how much pants can restrict your movements.

But really, I discovered my own courage. That was the single biggest thing.
JeffB1959
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JeffB1959 »

Just like Dust, smoothing the back of a skirt or dress before I sit is as second nature to me as breathing, I don’t even think twice about it, I just do it. Makes me feel ladylike.

The soft swishing of a midiskirt or maxiskirt against my shins while I walk is positively hypnotizing. Mere words can’t describe how good that feels.

Wearing skirts led me to pair them with women’s tops. Today, I wouldn’t wear anything else as I’ve come to love blouses and especially camisoles.
I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman.
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

JeffB1959 wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 3:21 am Just like Dust, smoothing the back of a skirt or dress before I sit is as second nature to me as breathing, I don’t even think twice about it, I just do it. Makes me feel ladylike.

The soft swishing of a midiskirt or maxiskirt against my shins while I walk is positively hypnotizing. Mere words can’t describe how good that feels.

Wearing skirts led me to pair them with women’s tops. Today, I wouldn’t wear anything else as I’ve come to love blouses and especially camisoles.
Skirts and Kilts with pleats it is a given to swoosh smooth those pleats in place when sitting -
yet with any skirt or even a dress it comes naturally to rest---sit on something smooth as the behind !
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
steamman

Post by steamman »

When wearing a midi or maxi, the gentle caressing of the skirt against your legs when you stand or walk is gorgeous, it has a life of its own. As is the gentle airflow you feel when there is a breeze.

Being able to adjust your skirt up or down when you are sitting.

Wearing a fully lined skirt feels so smooth you never want to take it off.

The matching of skirts to high heels is intoxicatingly good, I never wear heels now without a skirt!

Above all, just being able to feel gorgeous, and me.
FLbreezy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by FLbreezy »

Myopic Bookworm wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 9:45 pm Waist sizes really matter, but the sizing of skirts is based on flattery and lies.
This was a big one...learning proper sizing and then also finding that the sizing is still all over the damn place. After years of being able to grab a 34 waist or whatever and not even have to try it on, it was quite an eye-opener.
JeffB1959
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JeffB1959 »

FLbreezy wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 1:17 pm
Myopic Bookworm wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 9:45 pm Waist sizes really matter, but the sizing of skirts is based on flattery and lies.
This was a big one...learning proper sizing and then also finding that the sizing is still all over the damn place. After years of being able to grab a 34 waist or whatever and not even have to try it on, it was quite an eye-opener.
Finding a proper skirt that fits can be a conundrum. For instance, a size 14 skirt can fit one person, but not another, depending on if it's fitted or a pull-on. That can be more than a little frustrating at times.
I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman.
Happyskirt97007

Post by Happyskirt97007 »

I am new to skirt wearing but I am loving the freedom but the slight chaff on my thighs is something I hope will pass
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Welcome, Happyskirts :!: :D
FLbreezy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by FLbreezy »

Happyskirt97007 wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 6:42 am I am new to skirt wearing but I am loving the freedom but the slight chaff on my thighs is something I hope will pass
Welcome! There is a product for runners called "Body Glide" that comes in a roll on form that can help alleviate the chafe somewhat.
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

Body glide is amazing stuff. I wear it every time I hike. In or not in a kilt