Discoveries when you started wearing skirts

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Discoveries when you started wearing skirts

Post by Faldaguy »

Tazzmac,
Glad you are finding some comfort in venturing out a bit in your selection of single tube garments! In the past I've mentioned visiting the MONA as a great and easy public venue to wear your skirts -- you will fit right in with the displays, and maybe some in attendance. Just one of the my better memories from your neck of the woods.
Happyskirt97007

Post by Happyskirt97007 »

My first real outing in a skirt, Banana Republic utility pocket mini skirt, it is a very gender neutral looking skirt, is that no one noticed or cared. The wife and I went to my niece and her family's house for a late Christmas gift exchange and they did not say anything, after the fact she texted that she and her daughter loved it. After that the wife and went to the grocery stores, I doubt anyone noticed.. I was loving every minute of it! I should have done this many years sooner!
GerdG
Member Extraordinaire

Post by GerdG »

Happyskirt97007 wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 3:45 am My first real outing in a skirt, Banana Republic utility pocket mini skirt, it is a very gender neutral looking skirt, is that no one noticed or cared.
If it is a skirt like this one, https://bananarepublicfactory.gapfactor ... ge-content, it certainly is one that a man can wear.
GerdG

There ARE viable alternatives to trousers.
Happyskirt97007

Post by Happyskirt97007 »

GerdG wrote:
Happyskirt97007 wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 3:45 am My first real outing in a skirt, Banana Republic utility pocket mini skirt,
it is a very gender neutral looking skirt, is that no one noticed or cared.

If it is a skirt like this one,
https://bananarepublicfactory.gapfactor ... ge-content,
it certainly is one that a man can wear.
Very close to it. Shame that one is not in my size.
KenCT

Post by KenCT »

I had quite a few trees on my property in Connecticut, which dropped lots of small branches on windy days. I did yard work in miniskirts (~38 - 40 cm) and was surprised to find that the modest way to pick up the deadfall was to place my right foot behind and to the left of my left foot, then bend the knees. Yes, that's just the way the ladies curtsy to the Queen in the old movies.
K_Highlander

Post by K_Highlander »

I have at least four skirts from banana republic factory
All have been on sale. Mostly twill, very comfortable and look nice.
Wore one to my 50th High school reunion last Sept
But now I get 4 emails a day (until I finally unsubscribed)
Ken
BFTights

Post by BFTights »

The first time out the comfort and freedom for me was breathtaking. When I have ventured out nobody seems to care but I do think they still 'notice'. But that's in a small town I suspect in London or a large city it would feel much more comfortable. I think the single most important 'discovery' is simply how happy it makes me, wearing what I really want to wear makes me serenely content with life. I can't properly explain it but I really hate going back to trousers and socks!
BFTights

Post by BFTights »

Your post made me smile. When I wear skirts at home I go outside with rubbish as often as possible just to get that sensation of being out and about and everything is ok. I particular like it if someone walks by and sees me or if the Amazon guy turns up!
Fear i Sciorta Dubh wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 5:08 pm Like a lot of posters I love the feeling of the material of a midi or maxi skirt on my shins and calves when I walk. I love that sensation.

Also the way you can keep something reasonably small you’re using on the lap of your skirt when you’re sitting making it easily accessible (e.g. TV remote)

The contrast of cold air on my legs under my skirt with my warm upper body when i go out to the shed to get rid of rubbish in the bins.
Pdxfashionpioneer
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Pdxfashionpioneer »

My most consequential discoveries are:

People like the authentic me (the one who wears “womenswear” everywhere more than the socially acceptable me (the one who wears pants or shorts as he is supposed to).

Because people value authenticity and instinctively applaud and support the people who live their truth.

And because I’m more happy and much more comfortable in my own skin when that skin is covered by the clothing that’s right for me as opposed to the clothes social conventions say should be right for me.
David, the PDX Fashion Pioneer

Social norms aren't changed by Congress or Parliament; they're changed by a sufficient number of people ignoring the existing ones and publicly practicing new ones.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Pdxfashionpioneer wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 10:48 pmBecause people value authenticity and instinctively applaud and support the people who live their truth.
This represents condensed wisdom and truth. Sure, one will meet up with the occasional nay-sayer, but those are all too frequently cowards that lack the courage to actually expose their true selves to the world. These are also ones that can't be trusted in any meaningful sense.

The brave live life on the edge and are not afraid of who they are (although sometimes they can be afraid of what they can do if provoked hard enough).
Last edited by Uncle Al on Fri Jan 06, 2023 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: typo?
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
JeffB1959
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JeffB1959 »

Pdxfashionpioneer wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 10:48 pm My most consequential discoveries are:

People like the authentic me (the one who wears “womenswear” everywhere more than the socially acceptable me (the one who wears pants or shorts as he is supposed to).

Because people value authenticity and instinctively applaud and support the people who live their truth.

And because I’m more happy and much more comfortable in my own skin when that skin is covered by the clothing that’s right for me as opposed to the clothes social conventions say should be right for me.
Absolutely brilliant! Well said!
I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman.
Pdxfashionpioneer
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Pdxfashionpioneer »

Thank you gentlemen.
David, the PDX Fashion Pioneer

Social norms aren't changed by Congress or Parliament; they're changed by a sufficient number of people ignoring the existing ones and publicly practicing new ones.
BFTights

Post by BFTights »

Pdxfashionpioneer wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 10:48 pm My most consequential discoveries are:

So very well and succinctly put. Wisdom and guidance all in one.
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

Pdxfashionpioneer wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 10:48 pm

And because I’m more happy and much more comfortable in my own skin
Spot on brilliance.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

BFTights wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 10:30 am
Pdxfashionpioneer wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 10:48 pm
So very well and succinctly put. Wisdom and guidance all in one.
Yeah I'd go with these sentiments too.
Now if you honestly believe this there is nothing which to prevent you from getting out there, loud and proud.
It's the only way that change is even remotely likely in anything other than geological time.
Steve.