Discoveries when you started wearing skirts

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Dust
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Discoveries when you started wearing skirts

Post by Dust »

Happyskirt97007 wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 6:42 am I am new to skirt wearing but I am loving the freedom but the slight chaff on my thighs is something I hope will pass
I've found it decreases with regular skirt wear. I've also found I wear away the hair in the locations that rub, and when it comes back, so does the chafing...
Fear i Sciorta Dubh

Post by Fear i Sciorta Dubh »

Like a lot of posters I love the feeling of the material of a midi or maxi skirt on my shins and calves when I walk. I love that sensation.

Also the way you can keep something reasonably small you’re using on the lap of your skirt when you’re sitting making it easily accessible (e.g. TV remote)

The contrast of cold air on my legs under my skirt with my warm upper body when i go out to the shed to get rid of rubbish in the bins.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Long skirts are also great places for cats to curl up in your lap. They act like kitty-hammocks.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Big and Bashful »

crfriend wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 5:42 pm Long skirts are also great places for cats to curl up in your lap. They act like kitty-hammocks.
My cats love my long skirts, when I am sitting at my PC there is often one curled up under the skirt. Other than that they love to curl up on my knees and as you say a skirt helps! Nightshirts as well, ecspecially my Canadian flannel nightshirts, they love the fabric.
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
dressedbrewer

Post by dressedbrewer »

The lack of pockets in many designs is a pain. From wearing trousers, jeans, shorts with pockets in all of them out is hard to have to carry a phone from home office to the kitchen to get coffee etc.
Or is this only for positive experiences? I don't have any more to add than already posted, freedom, feel etc
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

by dressedbrewer » Mon Dec 26, 2022 11:58 pm

The lack of pockets in many designs is a pain. From wearing trousers, jeans, shorts with pockets in all of them out is hard to have to carry a phone from home office to the kitchen to get coffee etc.
You will find fairly extensive discussions of pockets in other posts -- use search, or just browse. Lack of pockets is a common complaint. Surprisingly you can find quite a few skirts with pockets -- some more commodious than others; a few only decorative, but pockets none-the-less. However many here have taken up another 'taboo' -- purses. I had not before joining this forum --- but again, the wisdom, experience and insights of other MIS here will open doors and solve a number of problems.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

Faldaguy wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 12:59 am

You will find fairly extensive discussions of pockets in other posts -- use search, or just browse. Lack of pockets is a common complaint. Surprisingly you can find quite a few skirts with pockets -- some more commodious than others; a few only decorative, but pockets none-the-less. However many here have taken up another 'taboo' -- purses. I had not before joining this forum --- but again, the wisdom, experience and insights of other MIS here will open doors and solve a number of problems.
The main issue with pockets on skirts - putting too much stuff in them causes them to "ruin the line" of the skirt. If you care about that sort of thing. Which limits how useful they are. Also, some skirts don't have a super secure fit, so too much weight can cause slippage. I typically put a slim wallet, phone, and keys in my pockets, and need nothing else.

You can find creative ways to stow things. I've put an ID in my boots before, clipped keys to my waistband, and have a leather hip bag. You can find fancier ones that aren't terribly expensive on etsy, or something like this for a bit more: https://www.lyonsleatherco.com/collecti ... 6030068902
JeffB1959
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JeffB1959 »

I carry a purse, but never thought of it as “taboo”. Considering tiny to nonexistent pockets on skirts, handbags are the most logical option when it comes to carrying stuff, I have no problem whatsoever when it comes to using a bag.
I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman.
dressedbrewer

Post by dressedbrewer »

JeffB1959 wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 2:35 am

I carry a purse, but never thought of it as “taboo”. Considering tiny to nonexistent pockets on skirts, handbags are the most logical option when it comes to carrying stuff, I have no problem whatsoever when it comes to using a bag.
Firstly, love the signature, expresses quite well my thoughts on the subject of clothing.

I get the concerns over fit and lines when pockets are stuffed, what stuff you can fit in a skirt pocket, etc, but as I only wear skirts in the house my only concern at present is carrying a phone around!
Dust
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Dust »

Handbags for men are a taboo, just probably to a lesser degree than skirts on men. That said, it is a different taboo that, although related, is another thing to get over in terms of internal hang ups that most of us have.
JeffB1959
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JeffB1959 »

Dust wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 3:50 am Handbags for men are a taboo, just probably to a lesser degree than skirts on men. That said, it is a different taboo that, although related, is another thing to get over in terms of internal hang ups that most of us have.
Maybe it's just me, but I never had any sort of hangup about using a handbag. I never liked putting stuff in pockets on skirts, and a purse was the best option for me. I find the heft of a full purse on my shoulder to be fun, and that's part of what this is all about.

dressedbrewer: Thanks for the kind words on my signature. It's there because that's how I feel about what I do.
I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman.
Midas
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Midas »

Dust wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 3:50 am Handbags for men are a taboo, just probably to a lesser degree than skirts on men. That said, it is a different taboo that, although related, is another thing to get over in terms of internal hang ups that most of us have.
I agree, but once you start going everywhere in a skirt or dress a bag doesn’t really make a lot of difference. Nonetheless I was a a bit self conscious when I first went out sporting a shoulder bag.

At this time of year it is easy because you can wear a coat or top with pockets to carry your stuff. In the summer a bag is needed. On a couple of occasions I put everything into my camera bag, which works on a day out on holiday.

But like the dress, nobody cares if you’re carrying a bag.
rode_kater
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rode_kater »

Dust wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 3:50 am Handbags for men are a taboo
Not really, or at least not everywhere. I know a guy who think gays are a bit weird that wears something resembling a handbag. Sure, it's mostly because he's carrying a camera all the time and figured that the rest of his stuff could fit in there too. No-one cares. They're just incredibly convenient if you're carrying more than will fit into pockets but not so much that a backpack would help.
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

There is an advantage to getting the bulges and unsightly projections off of the waist and hips.
Enhances the nature endowed curves and makes some clothing fit much better.
While I wear kilts most often I don't subscribe to the sporran at all.
If worn at all better off to the side out of the way instead of being a harvey wall banger.
Still yet the shoulder (cross or off) bag works fine too.
With a dress jacket worn over a skirt it may be possible to have a few items
carried in a shoulder holster bag - the dress jacket having the same small pocket
storage problems as the skirt (or dress).
In this day and age of plastic money - needing a bag of gold coins is certainly not necessary.
And about that bag of gold coins - that crypto currency is imaginary money at best !

Reminds of many years ago the Jack Benny quip as he was being robbed -
The robber -
"Your money of your life"?
Where Jack replies that he is thinking about it.

I once posted awhile back about wearing a thigh holster -
Where when presented with a similar experience -
pulling the kilt (skirt) hem and pulling out the big piece to settle the problem.
CR needed to get a new computer spewing his coffee (tea) all over the CRT screen
and keyboard - sorry for the unintended response.

So what part of concealed carry (no not firearms BUT $Money$ Euros etc.) is at hand here ?
Does one really need to carry all the boy scout junk around to get the ole lady across the road ?
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
Tazzmac

Post by Tazzmac »

Basically 'skirts wearing began in the past week or so . As i mentioned on numerous threads I love wearing kilts mostly for hiking , sometimes at home but not so much other than that . Since rejoining this forum I've noted how many others are happy to wear skirts , many exclusively . I was never going to make it a skirt versus kilt thing either because whatever way you look at it a kilt IS a skirt . I have never really been that interested directly in skirts but always have had an affinity with kilts albeit more particularly utility kilts . I do wear traditional ones too though .

About three weeks ago I bought a couple of tartan skirts for $20 each brand new . If they'd been any more I probably wouldn't have done it . The main reason is that as of 24th December I was beginning nine weeks of leave and it's summer here . I'm doing a lot of home renovations and thought I wouldn't get a better opportunity to wear kilts for lengthier periods while I'm off work .

While I was browsing for kilt stuff I happened upon these skirts and on a whim I bought them . The first time ever . I have to admit that when they arrived I was a tad nervous as silly as that might sound . Last week I tried one on and it was great . Very comfortable indeed and I think they look alright . Maybe they won't be the last ones I buy . We'll see ..