That Damn Denim

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
tnwheels

Re: That Damn Denim

Post by tnwheels »

I have converted a couple of pair of Levi’s into skirts. I bought them new for that purpose. They are two of my nicer denim skirts. I remember wearing one of the them in a grocery store and two younger guys walked past me and one said to the other he didn’t realize Levi’s made kilts and he thought it was pretty cool. Maybe that is part of the acceptance, calling the garment a kilt whether it meets the definition or not. Having that designation making it male clothing.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

I keep a couple pairs of jeans for utilitarian purposes. I got the brand and size information I wanted from these. Bought a pair in a thrift store; the waist size was the same, but the legs were too long for me to wear as trousers. Which is okay if you are converting the garment into a skirt. :mrgreen:
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

I too have denim skirts and jeans too. But I dislike the indigo colour ( too common and I don't own any in that colour ) and opted for the ice blue instead along with white and other colours. I like denim that has elastane incorporated as it gives that bit of stretch.

"I try to aim a bit higher,...." yes you do but I suspect that the average knuckle dragger will find it a difficult enough task to step into any skirt. If denim is to be the entrance point then so be it. It's better than nowt and could be the introduction to the infinite, when their sphericals grow big enough.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Now that's getting a bit technical, Dennis, this talk of knuckle dragging and infinite sphericals. My tired old brain hurts trying to understand all that. Denim though...I like in plain skirts. Denim pleats are devils and require frequent ironing. Also most pockets are too small, but I've found a couple with ones large enough for my spades.
Jeans I universally hate and never wear them except for rare appearances with my old German Shanty-choir, part of their uniform is jeans.

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Big and Bashful wrote
Steve, yes, I have four denim cargo skirts all designed and made for men. They came from Midas years ago, oh, also a Midas jeans skirt which is also denim.
Thanks B&B,
Seeing how you are the only one to respond, I rather think you have also proved my point.
Ere, you could learn the tailoring trade in your new found leisure hours.
Steve.
Ozdelights
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ozdelights »

Sinned wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 12:27 am I too have denim skirts and jeans too. But I dislike the indigo colour ( too common and I don't own any in that colour ) and opted for the ice blue instead along with white and other colours. I like denim that has elastane incorporated as it gives that bit of stretch.
I agree Dennis I have several black and a light grey but have avoided any shade of blue denim. The bit of stretch is also a great benefit. I also have skirts in other fabrics. But I do have some blue jeans for when the work dictates the need.
Bertino56
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Bertino56 »

I'm still trying to figure out why Levi Strauss stopped making skirts.
This must have been 50 or 60 years ago. "Western Wear," and all that.
Levi made skirts in all sizes.
I have men's Levi jeans and shorts, and plenty of Dockers khakis, and
a couple of good bluejean skirts from other brands, but would still like
to have a skirt with a "this is a genuine pair of Levis" patch.
That's ironic, because there's no way you could call a skirt a "pair."
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

Bertino56 wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 4:46 pm I'm still trying to figure out why Levi Strauss stopped making skirts.
They still do - if you search their site a (small) selection shows up. No men's skirts, though.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Bertino56 wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 4:46 pmI'm still trying to figure out why Levi Strauss stopped making skirts.
They glimpsed a future where skirts were passée and obsolete. Why continue to flog skirts when they're no longer desired?
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Tom the introduction to the infinite was short for the infinite varieties that are skirts. What would you call those that haven't the courage or intelligence to venture out of their little box but knuckle draggers?

I do have denim skirts in black, brown, ice blue, red, white and yellow.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

50 years ago.... About the time when females were rapidly abandoning skirted outfits for twin tubes. The Powers That Be probably noticed a severe drop in demand for denim skirts, so figured it wisest to dump a product of declining profitability.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Dennis, An old builder friend of mine once described some untutored employees as dragging their knuckles along the ground as they walked....like primitive primates.
Yes, with Denim it's nice to get away from the almost ubiquitous blue. This attached nr. was found surprisingly in a Tescos. I like it a lot, even though the pockets are a tad small.

Tom
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Kirbstone on Tue Dec 13, 2022 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

Grok wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 2:03 am 50 years ago.... About the time when females were rapidly abandoning skirted outfits for twin tubes. The Powers That Be probably noticed a severe drop in demand for denim skirts, so figured it wisest to dump a product of declining profitability.
Do we actually know this is true? Like are there data that supports this or is this prideful pessimism? Could it be that fashion ebbs and flows and that newer fabrics have diluted what was there before newer fabrics?

I’m no fan of denim but there’s this sense of anger here that I just don’t get.

On a website dedicated to allowing men to wear whatever they please, shouldn’t that extend to everyone and everything?

I am not saying people should dress like slobs. Some people think denim can look great. That should be respected.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Like ScotL I don't see any reason for the hatred of denim that some of you have. If you don't want to wear it, don't, but some of us are quite happy with it. Yes, it's perhaps an overused material, the ripped look ridiculous and tiresome on the eyes but is it any worse than, say, polycotton? Denim in colours other than indigo look quite appealing as Tom has proved. It's hard wearing and a material just as a skirt is just a garment. The first skirt I wore outside in meat space was a knee-length denim number and I don't think, at the time, I would have had the courage to have gone out in any other. Live with it, it ain't going away and if it proves an entryway for men then good.

Incidentally, I've just been on the Levi site and there are quite a few skirts. Maybe they are mainly an online item and not carried in stores. If so, it's a shame because they are limiting sales by doing so.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

Some have typed their dislike for denim but I haven't noticed anything too agro.
In fact I went shopping today in a denim mini skirt, to beat the Christmas rush but I was too late as it was very busy in the City of Broken Hill.
In one shop I suddenly confronted myself in a full length mirror and thought that I looked OK, which is a good test. A 13.5" long, close fitting stretch denim skirt and I felt quite at ease reaching and bending for items on shelves. A stiff cool breeze outdoors added to the enjoyment.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia