That Damn Denim

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Re: That Damn Denim

Post by Coder »

FLbreezy wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 12:53 pm
Coder wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 2:39 am Now perhaps we could masculinize the process - use a staple gun to stitch the denim, or use rivets - the kind you use a hammer to set (as opposed to a press). Use a knife to cut the fabric - no dainty shears or seam rippers.
I've been experimenting with 3-d printed "fabric" lately with thoughts that enough pieces joined together might make me a decent skirt.
Are you printing directly on fabric, or is it all pla with special geometry? Recently I’ve seen a few “mirror” outfits and I thought the general concept - triangles on top of a flexible material - could make for a cool skirt. Not sure how comfortable it would be to sit down in, unless you didn’t print on the back.
FLbreezy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by FLbreezy »

I haven't tried printing on fabric, but I've been adapting one of those "chainmail" like patterns that prints big squares of linked material. As you say, probably not very comfortable to sit on...although I'd need to wear a slip underneath anyway for modesty I suspect, which would help.
Myopic Bookworm
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Myopic Bookworm »

Sinned wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 12:02 am misha et al, where do you get the idea that men can only wear 6 drab colours from? Men can wear any colour, including baby pink.
They can; but convention has narrower expectations, especially for men in the middle to senior age bracket. A large majority of menswear, other than stuff branded with football team colours, is in what I call "Army Surplus" colours. You want men's shoes? Certainly sir: black or brown? Unless you are a golfer, in which case grey or two-tone may be permitted. Shirts may be obtained in baby pink, but outerwear is predominantly black, grey, brown, olive green, or dark blue. Actually I like olive green, but not in shapeless garments made of tent canvas. In the catalogues, the range may extend to red or light blue, but only in a few garments can you get the brighter colours (shirts, ties, socks, jumpers), and I have a devil of a job getting things in my favourite dark forest green. In my suit wearing days, I rather stuck out even in a dark brown pinstripe among all the grey, though my favourite suit now is a pale blue (and the jacket goes nicely with a long dark blue skirt!). (You may not remember the flak that Barack Obama got for wearing a tan suit?) It's getting better, but there's a way to go.

Current everyday fashion is also apparently against looking smart, or even faintly tidy. I once sat at a large retail outlet mall and watched the passers-by: 99% of them (of both sexes) were slouching along in shapeless T shirts, jeans, track suit, trainers, hoodies, etc. When an elderly gent came past in a crisp check shirt and fawn trousers with a crease, and polished brown brogues, I nearly went out to congratulate him!

But I mustn't be too pessimistic. I saw a guy in a pink check jacket recently, and corduroy trousers in interesting colours are spreading slowly.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Re: gaining traction

Post by Grok »

I have usually thought of it as this way.....

One small company, selling one product-a niche product-is able to make a reasonable profit. I expect that a denim skirt marketed to men will be a utilitarian garment, functionally similar to utility kilts.

Skirtcraft, I believe, is an alternative model. As I understand it, production of the new design was made possible by "crowd funding." Easy enough to imagine this type of funding working for denim.

BTW, Skirtcraft has been marketing to both men and women, with success. So it may not be strictly necessary for the general public to view the skirt as mens wear; to gain traction it may be sufficient if the general public agrees that it is okay for men to wear the skirt.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Re: gaining traction

Post by Coder »

Grok wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 5:30 pm BTW, Skirtcraft has been marketing to both men and women, with success. So it may not be strictly necessary for the general public to view the skirt as mens wear; to gain traction it may be sufficient if the general public agrees that it is okay for men to wear the skirt.
I like how they market their product, wish they could branch out to bigger retailers.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

BTW, I understand that the Skirtcraft products have some of the advantages of utility kilts, such as good pockets. And aesthetically, having a much better appearance than denim skirts.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

in reply to Stevie

Post by Grok »

I don't expect this to be an issue. Denim skirts aren't much worn by women, for the simple reason that women have (mostly) abandoned skirts as an option.
Spirou003
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Spirou003 »

FLbreezy wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 12:53 pm
Coder wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 2:39 am Now perhaps we could masculinize the process - use a staple gun to stitch the denim, or use rivets - the kind you use a hammer to set (as opposed to a press). Use a knife to cut the fabric - no dainty shears or seam rippers.
I've been experimenting with 3-d printed "fabric" lately with thoughts that enough pieces joined together might make me a decent skirt.
Did you mean "DefeXtiles"? https://dam-prod2.media.mit.edu/thumb/2 ... 0x1400.png and https://www.media.mit.edu/projects/defextiles/overview/
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

BTW, I understand that some men expressed interest in the original Macabi skirt. Which was not designed with men in mind. So, conceivably men might borrow from across the aisle, but on a significantly larger scale than at present.
ScotL
Chatbot

Re: in reply to Stevie

Post by ScotL »

Grok wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 6:11 pm I don't expect this to be an issue. Denim skirts aren't much worn by women, for the simple reason that women have (mostly) abandoned skirts as an option.
We definitely live in different regions. In Florida, there are a lot of skirts being worn. By women. And at least two guys that I know of, right Flbreezy?
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

I live in Seattle, and much of the year is overcast, drizzly, and chilly.
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

I think you answered the question of why
FLbreezy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by FLbreezy »

Spirou003 wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 7:50 pm >>I've been experimenting with 3-d printed "fabric" lately with thoughts that enough pieces joined together might make me a decent skirt.

Did you mean "DefeXtiles"? https://dam-prod2.media.mit.edu/thumb/2 ... 0x1400.png and https://www.media.mit.edu/projects/defextiles/overview/
Those are really cool! I saw a news item about those, but haven't looked into how they print them.
Last edited by FLbreezy on Fri Dec 16, 2022 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FLbreezy
Member Extraordinaire

Re: in reply to Stevie

Post by FLbreezy »

ScotL wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 10:40 pm
Grok wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 6:11 pm I don't expect this to be an issue. Denim skirts aren't much worn by women, for the simple reason that women have (mostly) abandoned skirts as an option.
We definitely live in different regions. In Florida, there are a lot of skirts being worn. By women. And at least two guys that I know of, right Flbreezy?
At least 2. 8)

And among active women, skirts are everywhere here: running, pickleball, golf, etc...and that carries over to wearing them out to the store, and so on. Not much denim though, but there's some.
familyman34
Distinguished Member

Post by familyman34 »

Sinned wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 12:02 am misha et al, where do you get the idea that men can only wear 6 drab colours from? Men can wear any colour, including baby pink. From my early teens I have sported bright colours, black, blue, brown, purple, red, yellow. The only colours I can think of that I don't have much of are green and orange. A few years back Guinness had an advert with some men in brightly coloured suits.
And the former Conservative politician, Michael Portillo, who has a seemingly never-ending series of programmes on UK television where he takes train journeys and comments on his surroundings using old guide-books (in the UK, pre-WW1 Bradshaws, in other countries the oldest English-language guide-books that he can find), well, he wears outfits of the most bright (and clashing?) colours - e.g. egg yellow shirt, apple green trousers and almost fluorescent pink jacket.
For example, try to find https://www.greatrail.com/holiday-types ... -journeys/ for his UK adventures, and https://www.greatrail.com/holiday-types ... -journeys/ for India.
Familyman34