Dr Who/skirts

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
skirted

Dr Who/skirts

Post by skirted »

Just been watching some Dr Who with the second Doctor, and one of the shows(5 parts) had what looks like men in skirts/dresses, and they were made in the 1960's.

Some of the men are wearing floor length dresses and some are wearing short, chest to knee length dresses.
T
Tazzmac

Re: Dr Who/skirts

Post by Tazzmac »

Fairly early on ...I believe in Patrick Troughton era as the Doctor there was Zoe , his assistant but there were two assistants . The other one played the role of Jamie . Jamie was male and spent the whole time in a kilt . I remember it as a kid and funnily enough it probable sewed the seed of my later interest in kilts which I'm glad about . This is fun to watch and listen to .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1DjSBZs07E Cheers
Last edited by Tazzmac on Tue Dec 27, 2022 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tazzmac

Post by Tazzmac »

Dr Who 's original doctor (William Hartnell) was a classically trained actor but will always be remembered more for being the first incarnation of the famous character..
Tazzmac

Post by Tazzmac »

Speaking of Dr Who....This is amazing ..... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNszKKAtEwU..
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

In case anyone is interested, ALL 13 Seasons of Dr. Who is
available on HBO MAX, starting Season 1, Episode 1 :D

Binge watching anyone :?:

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Uncle Al wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 11:12 pm[....] HBO MAX [...]
Well, that's a pity as HBO is one of the few companies I will never willingly do business with. Too greedy and corrupt right from Day One.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

Tazzmac wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 7:41 pm This is fun to watch and listen to .

Yes, quite a clever little video.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

denimini wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 1:45 am
Tazzmac wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 7:41 pm This is fun to watch and listen to .

Yes, quite a clever little video.
Indeed! It's astonishing that over the decades (!) the theme music is still recognisable. Thank you very much for that link!
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Epiceneguy
Distinguished Member

Post by Epiceneguy »

If I remember correctly the Doctor refers to Jamie's kilt as a dress in The Tomb of the Cybermen much to Jamie's annoyance 😄.
There was an episode I think it was called The Dominators (don't get the wrong idea and be careful what you Google 🤔) in which the men wear short white dresses which look terrible if I'm honest, and the older men robes which look suspiciously like dresses.
(I'm a bit of a Doctor Who geek, lol)
When life gives you lemons, slice them and put them into your G&T!
mishawakaskirt
Member Extraordinaire

Post by mishawakaskirt »

Speaking of Dr who.

There are a few Dr who skirts on the internet.
I found this one on eBay for cheap and bought it a few years back.

I've watched a lot of classic Dr who. And the relaunch from when it started to when I think some time during the last season with David Tennant.
I stopped watching it because I was getting tired of the liberal agendas that they kept pushing into the episodes.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mishawakaskirt @2wayskirt on Twitter

Avoid the middle man, wear a kilt or skirt.
rode_kater
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rode_kater »

Science fiction often has dress-like garments for men. It's common enough that it's not even remarked upon. For example, Star Trek Voyager 6x22 (Muse) has quite a few. There are more, but unless you're specifically paying attention you don't even notice.
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

mishawakaskirt wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 5:20 pm I stopped watching it because I was getting tired of the liberal agendas that they kept pushing into the episodes.
Liberal agendas? Really? Can you provide some examples? It’s not a description I have heard levied at the programme.
Myopic Bookworm
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Myopic Bookworm »

Ray wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 8:10 am
mishawakaskirt wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 5:20 pm I stopped watching it because I was getting tired of the liberal agendas that they kept pushing into the episodes.
Liberal agendas? Really? Can you provide some examples? It’s not a description I have heard levied at the programme.
Recent series have shown a higher proportion of women and people of colour in positions of power or authority, and have presented same-sex attraction in a positive light, even among major characters. Some historical settings have involved feminist or civil rights themes. The programme has lost any support that it once had among incels and other misogynists, racists, and homophobes...!

(I confess that, even though I tend towards liberal opinions, I did find it getting a bit preachy on occasion.)
greenboots
Member Extraordinaire

Post by greenboots »

Myopic Bookworm wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 9:50 am
Recent series have shown a higher proportion of women and people of colour in positions of power or authority, and have presented same-sex attraction in a positive light, even among major characters. Some historical settings have involved feminist or civil rights themes. The programme has lost any support that it once had among incels and other misogynists, racists, and homophobes...!

(I confess that, even though I tend towards liberal opinions, I did find it getting a bit preachy on occasion.)
I thought Jodie Whitaker did a reasonably good job as the first female doctor but she was hampered by what you refer to as the “preachy” scripts. Whilst there has always been a moral slant to the storylines, the dialogue began to sound increasingly like a session with a psychiatrist. There is a basic principle in writing fiction which applies even more strongly in screenplays: show, don’t tell. (For another example of OTT psycho-babble, see the Robert Downey Jr version of Doctor Dolittle https://m.imdb.com/title/tt6673612/)
rode_kater
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rode_kater »

Ray wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 8:10 am Liberal agendas? Really? Can you provide some examples? It’s not a description I have heard levied at the programme.
If you look for liberal agendas you can find them everywhere.

Let's ask a female to play the part for a change - liberal agenda.

Let's do an episode involving a society with a class divide - liberal agenda

Let's have a female police officer as a co-star - liberal agenda.

Show a same-sex couple raising a kid - liberal agenda

Thing is, these people haven't being paying attention. Because science fiction has always had a political slant. So much of the SciFi in the 50s and 60s had veiled and not so veiled references to the cold war, the Russians and the Japanese. Heinlein especially springs to mind (Stranger in a Strange Land, Farnhams' Freehold). SciFi often says more about the time it is written than the future.

Just ignore the complaints and enjoy the show (or not, if it's not to your taste). Although there appears to be a consensus amongst fans that the recent head writer (Chibnall) just wasn't very good.