Dr Who/skirts

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Epiceneguy
Distinguished Member

Re: Dr Who/skirts

Post by Epiceneguy »

Not 100% sure how this is turning into a conversation on 'liberal' agendas but I've got to agree.
I've loved Doctor Who for years but started giving up on the current programs as early as the Peter Capaldi period, I love Peter Capaldi and was gutted he never got the great scripts he deserved then during Jodie Whittaker the scripts turned into a tick list for p.c. at the price of quality (The Christmas special Legend of the Sea Devils should have been fantastic but was hampered by incredibly lazy scripts).
Still nice to see sci-fi doing guys in skirts and dresses though 😁
When life gives you lemons, slice them and put them into your G&T!
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

Not 100% Dr Who related, and perhaps this should be a different thread altogether, but I always get a kick out of costume designers ideas for outfits of the future, often including skirted outfits for men. Lately I've been watching Foundation and it feels very deliberate how they treat these garments. Specifically, most of the royals wear skirts/robes when acting in ceremonies, but during regular wear they choose pants. Most of the supporting cast are in pants, though the assistant to the throne is always wearing a dress/skirt. Her look is particularly in your face in the first few episodes as she is wearing a dress with square hips!

The one thing tv/movie sci-fi got right about the future - lots of people will be running around (mostly women as it turned out) in skin-tight spandex outfits. Not sure I like that trend.
photoguy207
Member Extraordinaire

Post by photoguy207 »

I remember as a kid, I first became fascinated with kilts and skirts after seeing boys in kilts on another BBC show called The Tomorrow People. It was on Nickelodeon when we first got expanded cable in the early 80s.
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

:soapbox:
People in general, gripe and complain about 'this or that isn't done, or worn, by men' because people
in general, can't - or won't - think outside what they've been taught**. They can't grasp the concepts
that clothing HAS NO GENDER - ONLY FUNCTION :!:
rode_kater wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 6:17 amScience fiction often has dress-like garments for men.
<snip>
unless you're specifically paying attention - you don't even notice.
This last line says it all. That is what we, Men In Skirts, are looking to achieve. Stop waiting for 'someone
else' to start the trend, then jump on the 'band wagon'. That is the 'Herd Mentality' (I'll do it if they do it).
Stop following that 'Herd Mentality'. YOU be that 'someone' to lead the Herd :!:
:soapbox:

**a key element - what they've been taught :!: Why was it taught this way :?:

I'll go back under my rock, coughing my head off and blowing my nose due - whatever,
and :hide:

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Not big on Cosplay personally but Dr Who is just a great piece of entertainment, for kids, as I recall.
However, I would wear this if the fantasy took me.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

Ah! I get it now. Thanks, Rode_K. So “liberal agenda” is all about fairness, representation, equality for all and tolerance? Like accepting men in skirts, for example?

Sign me up. I think it’s a great idea. No, sorry - it’s not an idea; it’s an agenda 8)
greenboots
Member Extraordinaire

Post by greenboots »

Ray wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 8:19 am Ah! I get it now. Thanks, Rode_K. So “liberal agenda” is all about fairness, representation, equality for all and tolerance? Like accepting men in skirts, for example?

Sign me up. I think it’s a great idea. No, sorry - it’s not an idea; it’s an agenda 8)
I think you overstate your case. As I read this thread, the objection of fans to the recent scripts is not their liberal stance (I suspect that Dr Who has been as head of the game in many ways), rather that the promotion of liberal values has become so prominent as to overtake the storytelling. The end result is significant numbers forsaking a previously excellent series. As I said in an earlier post, the key to effective communication is show, don’t tell.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

greenboots wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 5:04 pm[...] rather that the promotion of liberal values has become so prominent as to overtake the storytelling. The end result is significant numbers forsaking a previously excellent series.
In electronics terms, this is an example where the S/N (Signal to Noise) ratio gets so bad the the noise swamps the desired signal and renders the entire transmission channel unusable. We've been awash in PC noise for so long that the signal has been reduced substantially, and thus is becoming increasingly irrelevant.

Speculative fiction is supposed to be thought-provoking, not a soapbox for the latest bit of political correctness and preaching.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

crfriend wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 5:32 pmSpeculative fiction is supposed to be thought-provoking, not a
soapbox for the latest bit of political correctness and preaching.
AMEN to that :!:

Uncle Al
:| :colors: :|
Kilted Organist/Musician
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

I bow to your collective wisdom on this. I’ve not seen the series.
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

Coder wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 2:05 pm Not 100% Dr Who related, and perhaps this should be a different thread altogether, but I always get a kick out of costume designers ideas for outfits of the future, often including skirted outfits for men. Lately I've been watching Foundation and it feels very deliberate how they treat these garments. Specifically, most of the royals wear skirts/robes when acting in ceremonies, but during regular wear they choose pants. Most of the supporting cast are in pants, though the assistant to the throne is always wearing a dress/skirt. Her look is particularly in your face in the first few episodes as she is wearing a dress with square hips!

The one thing tv/movie sci-fi got right about the future - lots of people will be running around (mostly women as it turned out) in skin-tight spandex outfits. Not sure I like that trend.
Almost makes you wonder that the costume designers are secretly hoping to wear the skirted garments they created for the shows in real life. Like why do many superheroes wear tights? Thinking of the manliest of male superheroes from back then as Superman, isn’t he basically wearing the Jane Fonda work out kit?
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

Uncle Al wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 5:51 pm
crfriend wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 5:32 pmSpeculative fiction is supposed to be thought-provoking, not a
soapbox for the latest bit of political correctness and preaching.
AMEN to that :!:

Uncle Al
:| :colors: :|
And yet the “speculative fiction” of the Dr Who series (I confess, I’ve never seen it) that to you both is a “soapbox for the latest bit of political correctness” has provoked thoughts in you and basically hijacked this thread of men wearing skirts/dresses.

Today, everyone’s trying to be edgy. so they attempt to shock by having same sex couples raising kids. And they’re successful. Think of how shocked so many are
rode_kater
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rode_kater »

ScotL wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 12:19 pm And yet the “speculative fiction” of the Dr Who series (I confess, I’ve never seen it) that to you both is a “soapbox for the latest bit of political correctness” has provoked thoughts in you and basically hijacked this thread of men wearing skirts/dresses.
Every writer is trying to make a name for themselves. When you have a show that's been running for decades it can be difficult to come up with completely new ideas. Taking ideas from current events is a tried and true method. And if it ends up with some news articles, that's good right? No such thing as bad publicity.

I'm not convinced shows are more forward than they used to be. Star Trek with their "first black & white kiss on American TV" in 1968 was surely not just "speculative fiction".
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

ScotL wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 12:19 pmAnd yet the “speculative fiction” of the Dr Who series (I confess, I’ve never seen it)
that to you both is a “soapbox for the latest bit of political correctness” has provoked
thoughts in you and basically hijacked this thread of men wearing skirts/dresses.
You're so far out of left field, you're not even in the parking lot of the ball park.
IF you have never seen an episode of 'Dr. Who?', on what grounds are you able
to comment :?: Neither Carl NOR I have "hijacked this thread". I was agreeing with
Carl's comment. Threads evolve and come back to the original concept.

The old adage of "Think before you speak" or on any written forum "Think before you write",
holds true at Skirt Cafe'. Your biting comments clearly show that you "can't see the forest for the trees".

Now, don't try to get all pompas on your soapbox, as at 72 years of age(as of tomorrow),
I have MANY experiences that have shaped, and guided my life. You'll never know what
I have seen, or been through.

Fiction writing is speculative, especially Sy-Fy. It is many "What-If's" that make up a story.
The "What-If's" are woven into a plot, creating a story which may be enjoyed by many people.
I'm a big fan of authors like Heinlein, Asimov, Del-Rey, Card and Clarke to name a few.

OK, so what has this got to do with men wearing skirts :?:
Not much except that they(Sy-Fy writers) have written several stories which included men in skirts,
and most of these writings are 70+ years old. The 'Dr. Who' series has shown several episodes which
included men in skirts.

Gene Roddenberry wrote stories based, many times, on political themes of the '60s.
So, yes, current themes have been 'transposed/transported' into fictional future times.

Again - Carl nor I have not 'hijacked this thread.

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Epiceneguy
Distinguished Member

Post by Epiceneguy »

ScotL wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 12:19 pmAnd yet the “speculative fiction” of the Dr Who series (I confess, I’ve never seen it)
I'm genuinely shocked that there's someone out there who hasn't seen a single episode of Doctor Who 😱
When life gives you lemons, slice them and put them into your G&T!