Dr Who/skirts

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
ScotL
Chatbot

Re: Dr Who/skirts

Post by ScotL »

greenboots wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 7:51 pm
ScotL wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 5:00 am
crfriend wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 12:49 pm
Actually, there wasn't much thought involved -- more like a knee-jerk reaction when the S/N ratio falls below a certain point. Just as I am advertising-hostile and will change the channel if it gets obnoxious, I am also PC-hostile but to a much higher degree. "Advertising" (and spam) is merely pollution in the environment; PC represents a very deliberate poisoning of that environment.
Sure. But stating “there wasn’t much thought involved” still represents some thought. And we’re still discussing this. A friend of mine who’s a psychologist interested in marketing knows this stuff. And by the very fact that you acknowledge the existence of soap boxes or PC slanted material, they’ve done their job. It’s evil and crazy but it’s been happening forever. In fact, the most coercive ads are the ones that you’ve seen but forgot about. Seems nuts, but when you think you’re making a selection because “you know”, it’s often your subconscious remembering some commercial. But you stand proud that you weren’t influenced and the marketers giggle all the way to the bank. And before I get accused of typing without thinking or whatever, “you” in my writing is a general you. I am absolutely not attacking you. This is a general trend that happens to every “you” who ever sees an ad.
We might be talking about it, but it seems few if any here have been watching the recent series, and are probably advising people not to bother. That seems to me to be a negative result for the writers and producers. Surely they want more viewers, not less.
They may be losing the viewers who hear anything PC and react negatively only to woo the people who are into PC or are at least not intolerant to PC.

Personally I’d hate to be in that world of trying to wade through the current day minefield to be both provocative, socially conscious and entertaining. You can please all of the people never but boy can you make all of the people mad.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

Myopic Bookworm wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 4:12 pm
rivegauche wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 2:16 pm David Tennant was the first of the new set of Doctors.
Did you blink and miss Christopher Eccleston? He didn't last long, but he gave the character the undertone of existential angst which has surfaced peiodically ever since.
I thought his take on the Dr was quite good, although you never know whether it's the actor or the writers who imbue the character with their attitude. I suppose it might be both, with the actor helping shape the character.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

I wonder if Sydney Newman ever thought that his creation would provoke such discussion as there has been in this thread.
Dr Who has been a highly entertaining bit of Science Hokum in pretty much my whole life.
Sometimes more so than others.
The lesser moments have just sent me to Mr Roddenberry or J. Anderson and some others.
I don't believe that I need a deeper or more philosophical reason than that actually.
Still like the idea of doing a Jon Pertwee iteration in a skirt or a dress though.
Pan dimensional, polybinary, clothing could be the next happening fashion.
PC or not PC, that is the question, but do I care?
Steve.
Fear i Sciorta Dubh

Post by Fear i Sciorta Dubh »

Of all the doctors, Jon Pertwee was my favourite (given he was the first I remember) but he lost a lot of credibility in my eyes when he went on to later star in the title role in Worzel Gummidge! From a time traveller to a scarecrow in one fell swoop!!! :wink:
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Fear i Sciorta Dubh wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 10:28 pm From a time traveller to a scarecrow in one fell swoop!
Suggestion to BBC for next iteration?
Steve.
rode_kater
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rode_kater »

Coder wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 5:32 pm Did you blink and miss Christopher Eccleston? He didn't last long, but he gave the character the undertone of existential angst which has surfaced peiodically ever since.
I thought his take on the Dr was quite good, although you never know whether it's the actor or the writers who imbue the character with their attitude. I suppose it might be both, with the actor helping shape the character.
Eccleston basically agreed up front he would only do one series. And since it was the first new one, they put a lot of effort into make sure they had good scripts. People never really stopped writing scripts for Doctor Who so they probably had a decent backlog of good ones.

Since the new series has been going for a while, perhaps they're just running out of ideas...
skirted

Post by skirted »

[quote="Fear i Sciorta Dubh" post_id=244183 time=1673821693 user_id=45688]
Of all the doctors, Jon Pertwee was my favourite (given he was the first I remember) but he lost a lot of credibility in my eyes when he went on to later star in the title role in Worzel Gummidge! From a time traveller to a scarecrow in one fell swoop!!! :wink:
[/quote]

I got to meet Jon Pertwee when i lived in the UK, was at a steam rally, at Netley Marsh. He was the guest for a day, i helped to launch him in a hot air balloon. He was dressed as the scare crow, but not many people can say that they have launched a Actor who played Dr Who in a hot air balloon .
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

There was a companion to the second doctor called "Jamie" played by James Mc Crimmon. He was Scottish and wore a kilt throughout.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

I first noticed Jodie Whitaker in Attack The Block. (A bit of science fiction there).

Seen her in a few Dr. Who episodes, and I think she has had the potential to be a good Doctor. The companions of this Doctor, how ever, didn't leave much of an impression on me.