Skirt length???

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Aloofguru2

Skirt length???

Post by Aloofguru2 »

I've read a few comments that they can't or won't wear a mini. While shopping a mini appears to be 14 to 18 in . Under 14 is a micro mini. What is the difference between a knee and a midi? Terminology maybe. 18 to 24.

18-22 is my preferred length
SkirtsDad
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Skirt length???

Post by SkirtsDad »

Aloofguru2 wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 10:11 pm I've read a few comments that they can't or won't wear a mini. While shopping a mini appears to be 14 to 18 in . Under 14 is a micro mini. What is the difference between a knee and a midi? Terminology maybe. 18 to 24.

18-22 is my preferred length
Nearly all my mini-skirts fall between the lengths of 10" and 14". I have one or two around 15", but much longer than that and i don't really think I'd call it a mini. However, skirt length alone is not always the best indicator for determining what a skirt is. I'm not that tall, so 18" is above the knee and therefore not really a mini on me, and 22" would be at or just below the knee. I have one micro-mini that's 8.5"

Here's a useful graphic and details from sewingguide.com
sg_lengths.png

Depending on the taste of the person wearing a skirt or the style prevalent or even the cultural influence on the wearer or the body shape of the wearer, the height of the skirt can vary greatly.

Micro mini – This skirt length ends 1 inch below your bottom. Another way to look at it is the length of the skirt itself – very short at about 8-10 inch.
Mini -This skirt length ends at mid thigh
Above knee length
Knee length
Cocktail length ( Street length) This length ends anywhere between just below the knee to above mid calf.
Midi – This skirt length is somewhere between the knee and the ankle
Long or Maxi skirt – This skirt length is between right below mid calf to lower calf some 10 inches from the floor
Formal Evening or full length skirt -This skirt length is seen 1 inch above the floor.
Floor length – Apparently grazes the floor
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

For me, skirt length needs to be knee length or just below the knee.
Do to some mobility problems(that come with 'Old Age') I bend at
the hip, not squat down. If I squatted down, I couldn't get back up.
The knee length, or slightly below knee length, keeps others from
seeing tomorrows laundry :oops:

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :santa: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

It also makes a difference where the {WAIST} starting point is -

Empire waist - the bottom of a bra band
Navel (KILT) waist - belly button
High waist -
Traditional waist -
Low waist - just above the hip bone -
Hip waist - riding just on the hip bones
Undefined territory - at this point sever restrictive elements are needed in play to prevent "London sk-britches falling down/off" !

Micro mini skirts are apt to be cheeky exposing as well as frontal coverage problem areas.

With short skirts remember to NOT reach for the sky - items on high shelves or bend over jackknifed for floor bottom shelf items !
If unmentionables are in use - still yet a degree of "RED" flag warnings are in play !

There is no Fair Play in effect for wearing skirts by either sex.

And I always get a Rockette thrill out of - "You have legs all the way up to there !!!" ROFLOL !

Oh and forgot to add my Thanks to Skirtsdad for the illustration of skirt lengths !
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Looking sideways at the 'ladies' clothing part of our local Mega-Tescos I recently spied TWO lots of skirts, to my surprise. Both were in the 18-20 inch length category and both had slash pockets, so I picked up an example of each. I also favour 18-22 inches length to the hem and always wear the waist at the waist, i.e. the narrowest part of the body/trunk, usually somewhere near the navel. At 6'2" the standard 24" kilt length hits me mid-kneecap.

I regard 8.5 to 11 inch micros as wide or extended belts only and underneath one needs to wear very thick winter tights/leggings. Nowadays lots of ggs wear such tights/leggings with nothing else, so the curves to the waist are on display, usually to advantage, I must say.

Remember, Bread is like the Sun, It rises in the yeast and sets in the waist !

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
Aloofguru2

Post by Aloofguru2 »

Yes the picture explains it nicely
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

I have understood that a skirt is a mini if the hem is in reach of the fingertips (unless you are a monkey) which is about 14" for me. On a taller person it may be 16 or 17" for the same look and amount of modesty. I am happy to wear skirts from 10.5" to 15" in public.
Funny how skirt lengths are talked about in imperial measurements, even where a metric system prevails, a bit like wheel rims.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
SkirtsDad
Member Extraordinaire

Post by SkirtsDad »

denimini wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:43 am I have understood that a skirt is a mini if the hem is in reach of the fingertips (unless you are a monkey) which is about 14" for me. On a taller person it may be 16 or 17" for the same look and amount of modesty. I am happy to wear skirts from 10.5" to 15" in public.
Funny how skirt lengths are talked about in imperial measurements, even where a metric system prevails, a bit like wheel rims.
And both can hold a spare tyre :lol: :lol:
GerdG
Member Extraordinaire

Post by GerdG »

To me mini means my skirt is fingertip length.

and about as short as I like to wear in public.
GerdG

There ARE viable alternatives to trousers.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

I agree on length, Gerd. Finger-length minis are fun to wear, but border on the overexposure of hairy legs. This one is just 16 inches, but I love the flare.

Tom
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
Stu
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Stu »

For me - half-way down the kneecap is the shortest to mid-calf longest.

I don't do minis or maxis.
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

Uncle Al wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 4:17 am For me, skirt length needs to be knee length or just below the knee.
Do to some mobility problems(that come with 'Old Age') I bend at
the hip, not squat down. If I squatted down, I couldn't get back up.
The knee length, or slightly below knee length, keeps others from
seeing tomorrows laundry :oops:

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :santa: :mrgreen:
Bless
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

For me just above the knee is OK. Mostly I go for below the knee. Below the knee is stylish.
I've seen some guys (web) in maxis and although I was previously a no now I'm 🤔
phathack
Member Extraordinaire

Post by phathack »

My skirts and dresses are all over the place.
I have examples of all the lengths in that photo.
My preferred lengths are Knee Lenght to Maxi.
I have a couple of dresses that are Floor length and to feel them off the floor I have to wear heels or I'm likely to step on the hem.
Skirt18220

Post by Skirt18220 »

I'm in the 18 to 20 inch crowd for my kilts but my denim skirts are all around the 16 inches. not into anything below the knee. not opposed to going shorter or longer just haven't tried any yet. I don't find there are a lot of skirts out there for sale so I am learning to sew. that will let me experiment with length much easier. also with different fabrics. A 22 inch fleece skirt might be nice and warm for winter.