Pastor's husband in skirt

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Pastor's husband in skirt

Post by Jim »

Saw this meme in a Facebook group, but don't know if it's based on reality. Many are thinking it's funny, but quite a few supportive comments.
skirted pastor husband.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Pastor's husband in skirt

Post by STEVIE »

What exactly is a "Senior Pastor" Jim?

Steve.
Myopic Bookworm
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Myopic Bookworm »

STEVIE wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 2:05 pm What exactly is a "Senior Pastor" Jim?

Steve.
Surely just means the presiding or moderating member of a group of church ministers within a parish large enough to require more than one. (Seems more likely than "elderly shepherd", which would be logically possible!)
The meme picks up on that modern problem: in a church where the minister's wife traditionally held a certain social position, what do you do if the minister is now a woman. Many English towns have long confronted the same problem with what to do about a female Lord Mayor; we can't have a male Lady Mayoress.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Thanks MB.
I'm a lapsed but dyed in the wool, Church of Scotland Presbyterian.
Sure, there is a hierarchy but no titles like "Senior Minister" which is the nearest equivalent I can think of.
Instead, we have Session Clerks, Presbytery Moderators and General Assembly Moderators.
Influential people but more like Committee Chairmen or Women than having real personal power within the church.
I can't imagine a C.O.S. Minister ever appearing in a skirt in public, let alone at a service.
In the years that I did attend, I don't even recall seeing one wearing a Kilt.
Steve.
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

STEVIE wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 2:05 pm What exactly is a "Senior Pastor" Jim?

Steve.
A larger United Methodist Church I use to go to had an Associate Pastor, a Youth Pastor, and a Senior Pastor. I expect this is common in large churches to have several with one with more leadership roles.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Thanks Jim,
Like I said, hierarchy yes but obviously very differently too.
Steve.
rode_kater
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rode_kater »

Myopic Bookworm wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 2:54 pm The meme picks up on that modern problem: in a church where the minister's wife traditionally held a certain social position, what do you do if the minister is now a woman. Many English towns have long confronted the same problem with what to do about a female Lord Mayor; we can't have a male Lady Mayoress.
Just like Kings have a Queen, but a Queen doesn't have a King. It was explained here that "King" is the title of a position, and as such not gender specific. The Queen is also the King. And so the partner of the Queen has to be called "consort" or some such. The position of Mayor has the same problem.

What would you call the male partner of a King? Presumably prince-consort?

This isn't something we've sorted out in language yet and I haven't seen any possibilities suggested either.
Myopic Bookworm
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Myopic Bookworm »

Of course, the whole point of Presbyterianism was to have no hierarchy (and particularly no quasi-monarchical bishops), just ministers and elders. But administration requires supervising authority in the form of moderators, appointed purely as office-holders.

There is a "Clergy" tartan, and it can certainly be bought in the form of a tie, but I don't know whether it has ever been made up as a kilt.
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

Jim wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 12:20 pm Saw this meme in a Facebook group, but don't know if it's based on reality. Many are thinking it's funny, but quite a few supportive comments.

skirted pastor husband.jpg
I know they are trying to make The Who wears the pants in this family reference but I like this picture. Both aren’t outlandishly dressed as some celebrities do. But they are well dressed and attractive without being over the top. Basically, this is what we all on this cafe want. For this picture to be considered as nothing more than two celebrities on the red carpet.
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

The Cleric, Clark, Clergy Tartan :D

As a Kilt :D

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :santa: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Hi Al
The tartan you are showing is an invention from 1822 and taken today as the tartan of the clan Clark.
Clark or Clerk is an occupational title, and the Church had the monopoly on education, hence the derivation.
The 1822 reference is essential as it is also noted as the only occupational tartan with no kinship association.
Just another bit of the fallout from the George IV fiasco I'm afraid to say.
As per the original post, here is a wee conundrum.
The Kilt Nazis could not do a thing about him wearing a kilt made of it. Ironically, as the Pastor's or Minister's "husband", HE would have a derived right to do so.
Interesting but ultimately pointless in the here and now.
Steve.
familyman34
Distinguished Member

Post by familyman34 »

There are in fact six tartans in the official UK register of tartans, called "clergy" in some way:
https://www.tartanregister.gov.uk/qResu ... ing=clergy
Familyman34