Made it easier?

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Made it easier?

Post by pelmut »

crfriend wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 4:15 pm [0] In computing hardware, "non-binary" represents a fatal fault condition is the components that make up a computer.
...Unless it's an analogue computer.
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

crfriend wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 4:15 pm These faults normally manifest as a "floating" condition where a signal is neither a proper ground or a proper voltage; it's in the middle
Neither a proper ground or a proper voltage...

Sounds like people to me.. :lol:

People are complex, and while our brains may be compared to "computers", they are certainly not processing ones and zeros. I suppose it could be argued that certain neurons fire and certain ones don't, and it would be argued then that our brains might actually function like a modern day computer...

But what about sentience? What makes us more than the sum of our parts? What gives us a conscious, a "soul" if you will? I don't know that free will can be mapped out in on/off switches in the brain.

There's something else there... something almost magickal,, something science hasn't been about to map out yet, something philosophical if you will.

I don't know... to me, being reduced to a simple matter of programming kinda bugs me. Binary is to be programmed, non-binary seems to be the very essence of free will. Non-binary is indeed a "fault" faults have no business in programs, faults cause programs to crash. I don't want to be a program, I want to be free.

Long live the faults! :)

Going down the rabbit hole here...
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

pelmut wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 7:47 pm
crfriend wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 4:15 pm [0] In computing hardware, "non-binary" represents a fatal fault condition is the components that make up a computer.
...Unless it's an analogue computer.
Entirely and completely correct. Point happily granted!
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

moonshadow wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 7:48 pm
crfriend wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 4:15 pm These faults normally manifest as a "floating" condition where a signal is neither a proper ground or a proper voltage; it's in the middle
Neither a proper ground or a proper voltage...

Sounds like people to me.. :lol:
People -- carbon-based critters like you, I, and everyone else here in the community are, indeed, analogue in nature, I was pointing up the distinction by way of sarcasm and a poke at the "non-binary" trope that's popular now, and extra baggage we do not need. Let people be people -- to be themselves.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

"I am not a number, I am a free man." The Prisoner

You get quite philosophical at times, Moon. Or at least you have a bit recently.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Sinned wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 11:54 pm"I am not a number, I am a free man." The Prisoner
Very well, No 6.
You get quite philosophical at times, Moon. Or at least you have a bit recently.
Methinks that old age may be creeping up on him quicker than he realises.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

crfriend wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 11:59 pm Methinks that old age may be creeping up on him quicker than he realises.
Well, the old sages of skirt Cafe will be leaving some big shoes to fill! :lol: :P
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Right now, barring a fatal accident, I have no intention of leaving my empty shoes anytime soon. I'm still buying skirts for the waistline I had at age 24 !

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

crfriend wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 8:11 pm Let people be people -- to be themselves.
That's all we can be.

As for the [Identity] labels, I'd hazard a guess it has to do more with community, and the better understanding of themselves, rather than upsetting the likes of skirtcafe members. We all have to walk our own path.... non-binary people included.

What it means to be human, or even to be "a person", or really just "to exist" seems to be constantly evolving. Every day we learn so much more about ourselves as a species, and individually.
-Andrea
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Sinned wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 11:54 pm You get quite philosophical at times, Moon. Or at least you have a bit recently.
I take that as a highest form of compliment. Thank you.
-Andrea
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

You're welcome, Moon. I call it as I see it.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.