Guys in Skirts Fundraiser

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
CCNC

Guys in Skirts Fundraiser

Post by CCNC »

New here but thought I would share. My daughter’s sorority did a fundraiser for Violence Against Women. They recruited their dads, BFs and guy friends to get people to sponsor them for wearing a skirt for the day! I got to spend a a day in a denim mini for a great cause. The event raised over $5000. Nothing but good comments. Did notice folks checking me out….guess that’s what women feel like when wearing short skirts sometimes. Wife helped me pick it out. Really sparked an interest in me for skirts. Wife liked it for the day but not sure as a regular thing in public.
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Guys in Skirts Fundraiser

Post by Big and Bashful »

Welcome to the club!
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

CCNC wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 6:51 pm New here but thought I would share. My daughter’s sorority did a fundraiser for Violence Against Women. They recruited their dads, BFs and guy friends to get people to sponsor them for wearing a skirt for the day! I got to spend a a day in a denim mini for a great cause. The event raised over $5000. Nothing but good comments. Did notice folks checking me out….guess that’s what women feel like when wearing short skirts sometimes. Wife helped me pick it out. Really sparked an interest in me for skirts. Wife liked it for the day but not sure as a regular thing in public.
Same thing happened to me but no where near as altruistic in the least. Was lounging around exhausted after a shower and thought why can’t we wear towels all day like I’m wearing. Wife had a raggedy old skirt lying around. Tried it. Hooked. Started wearing kilts then cause they’re “mens” and realized kilts are just skirts and in my opinion anyone who thinks otherwise is just fooling themselves.
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

Hola,

I suspect you had a lot more exposure than just those at the fund-raiser, and not any negative consequences. And, you likely got some good feedback on the notion of men in skirts during the day and lead-up to the event. Hopefully those will help allay your wife's reservations about you in a skirt for normal public outings -- a good starting/talking point.

You'll find lots of insights on that subject herein -- sadly our Significant others are often the most concerned. Ironically, had you asked them about other guys wearing skirts before, most will have been supportive -- until it comes to "their guy", then the hurdle is a bit higher -- but not insurmountable.

Good luck.
Faldaguy, Costa Rica
CCNC

Post by CCNC »

The fundraiser was a challenge to spend the entire day in a skirt doing you thing - work, errands, home, etc. not just at the event. Rules were dawn to dusk. So yes, actually got lots of questions. I have a group of guys I workout with and they ponied up big bucks to see me do this for the day. A good laugh and a good cause but I was honest with them that it was really comfortable and nice. We will see!
Ozdelights
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ozdelights »

CCNC wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 12:21 pm A good laugh and a good cause but I was honest with them that it was really comfortable and nice. We will see!
Great to hear, hopefully this will continue.
Stu
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Stu »

"My daughter’s sorority did a fundraiser for Violence Against Women."

Why only "against women"? Men are about four times more likely to be victims of violence than women here in the U - is that somehow OK? Where are the funds for that? I remember a similar campaign by a feminist group some years ago and they collected statistics, but it was obvious that the only kind of violence they were interested in was that where the victim was female and the assailant was male. Male victims of violence were ignored altogether while female victims of female violence were also ignored.
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

CCNC wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 12:21 pm The fundraiser was a challenge to spend the entire day in a skirt doing you thing - work, errands, home, etc. not just at the event. Rules were dawn to dusk. So yes, actually got lots of questions. I have a group of guys I workout with and they ponied up big bucks to see me do this for the day. A good laugh and a good cause but I was honest with them that it was really comfortable and nice. We will see!
What was the challenge? A new guy wants to know?
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

Stu wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 3:29 pm "My daughter’s sorority did a fundraiser for Violence Against Women."

Why only "against women"? Men are about four times more likely to be victims of violence than women here in the U - is that somehow OK? Where are the funds for that? I remember a similar campaign by a feminist group some years ago and they collected statistics, but it was obvious that the only kind of violence they were interested in was that where the victim was female and the assailant was male. Male victims of violence were ignored altogether while female victims of female violence were also ignored.
No violence against anyone should be tolerated regardless of perpetrators. But why are you making the “save the whales” movement imply “kill the sharks”? The world needs less negativity. And less violence against anyone.
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

Stu wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 3:29 pm "My daughter’s sorority did a fundraiser for Violence Against Women."

That's what gun control is about. Males are the biggest victim of gun violence.
Stu
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Stu »

ScotL wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 12:30 pm No violence against anyone should be tolerated regardless of perpetrators. But why are you making the “save the whales” movement imply “kill the sharks”? The world needs less negativity. And less violence against anyone.
Whales are an endangered species - and they are intelligent mammals like us. I am not sure the analogy fits.

But I agree with your last sentence: less violence against anyone. Once you restrict such an appeal to one group, you are signalling that the other group is of less importance. Could you imagine a campaign for less violence against males? How about a campaign for less violence against straight white males?

Let's stick to less violence in general.
Stu
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Stu »

Jim wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 12:59 pm That's what gun control is about. Males are the biggest victim of gun violence.
There are arguments for and against gun control in the US and I can see both arguments. That has to be for you guys to decide.

In the UK, we have extremely tight gun control. That certainly has benefits in terms of safety, but it comes at a price in terms of liberty.

Whether such trade-offs for safety/security over liberties are right or wrong is always down to a subjective judgment. I will sit firmly on the fence.
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

Stu wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 3:03 pm
ScotL wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 12:30 pm No violence against anyone should be tolerated regardless of perpetrators. But why are you making the “save the whales” movement imply “kill the sharks”? The world needs less negativity. And less violence against anyone.
Whales are an endangered species - and they are intelligent mammals like us. I am not sure the analogy fits.

But I agree with your last sentence: less violence against anyone. Once you restrict such an appeal to one group, you are signalling that the other group is of less importance. Could you imagine a campaign for less violence against males? How about a campaign for less violence against straight white males?

Let's stick to less violence in general.
My analogy is meant to suggest that when one group is arguing for a good cause, the fact they didn’t include the good cause someone else finds Important shouldn’t be seen as a slight. That’s the implication from the thought that someone wanting to save the whales doesn’t actually want to kill the sharks just because they didn’t state we should save sharks too.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

The trouble is that such wouldn't be a "challenge" for me as I would be happier wearing a skirt than trousers any day. I am thinking about putting a bowl on my till and asking for contributions for our corporate charity. I did that one year for a couple of days and raised about £300. Food for thought.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Yeah, in every day settings, you'll likely turn a lot of heads, I know I do... but I suspect it's for different reasons. I don't think most people who notice me are wanting a date, because it's usually a look of confusion, or sometimes outright disgust.

Not being negative, just being honest.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.