Bodycon skirts

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Bodycon skirts

Post by Jim »

This is mostly just for fun--I like being silly and making fun of myself if folks haven't noticed-- but I have a real question.

Some years ago, I bought my first new skirt as I saw an eBay sale for $2, including shipping. It's a purple "bodycon" (body-conforming) skirt made out of sewn-together elastic strips into a tube. I don't think it even has a top or bottom. It seemed odd and I never used it.

I was feeling like doing something funny yesterday afternoon after a hard day at the market so I took it out. It didn't look as bad as I remembered, but then I went upstairs to take a picture where I have a tripod. Going up the stairs, two at a time as normal, the almost knee-length skirt became a micro-mini, uncovering what many do not deem decent to uncover. (Don't worry, I censored the pictures.)

So to my question: Is this normal on any bodycon skirt? Are they just for looking cute while taking tiny lady-like steps on a level surface? Are wearers constantly pulling the hems down?

Looking decent:
DSCN2962cs.jpg
A closeup:
DSCN2962_c.jpg
Taking the stairs one at a time:
DSCN2964-censored_cs.jpg
Taking the stairs normally, two at a time:
DSCN2965-censored_s.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Chirp
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Bodycon skirts

Post by Chirp »

You have just found out that the struggle is real. And why so many woman have to pull there skirts back down.
I have a skirt that is made out of a semi elastic that will ride up as well.

This is also why i long long skirts better,
No one mess's with a big guy in kilt
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Yes, the struggle is real, and it's seldom pretty.

The problem with body-con styles is that they hug the body very tightly in order to show it off. This creates the problem that the style also tends to magnify any faults which limits the uptake to a very small slice of the population.

To the point of Jim's skirt, the wrinkles in it point up that it just does not fit right, and that creates other problems.

Kudos to Jim for giving it a go, but it's not a style I think I'd wear. I'll stick to my own fit/flare look which seems to flatter my body-shape and hide the inevitable imperfections that one picks up over the decades.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
SkirtsDad
Member Extraordinaire

Post by SkirtsDad »

Jim wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 12:50 pm
So to my question: Is this normal on any bodycon skirt? Are they just for looking cute while taking tiny lady-like steps on a level surface? Are wearers constantly pulling the hems down?
I think it depends a bit on the actual skirt. I have some that are ok and some that ride up a lot. My favourite bodycon mini had a tendency to ride up so I ran an extra piece of 1/2" elastic inside the hem. Now it stays put under all circumstances.
phathack
Member Extraordinaire

Post by phathack »

With the bodycon Skirt or Dress, you have to take shorter strides and staircases always cause them to rise, your knee-length skirt becomes mid-thigh. I have a couple and hardly ever wear them I prefer A-Line, Skater, or Maxi-style skirts.
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

phathack wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 1:34 am With the bodycon Skirt or Dress, you have to take shorter strides and staircases always cause them to rise, your knee-length skirt becomes mid-thigh. I have a couple and hardly ever wear them I prefer A-Line, Skater, or Maxi-style skirts.
Thanks. I guess I'll just keep if for in-house use, where what shows won't bother anyone.
rode_kater
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rode_kater »

With stretchy material, when you overstretch it in one direction it starts folding in the other direction, so you get that "stretched look". I believe for bodycon the idea that it should fit your body exactly without really stretching while standing still. So the stretchy fabric gives you the ability to move, but as soon as you stop it should all fall back into place.

Needless to say, finding the right garment for your shape can be quite the challenge and why it often looks wrong.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

I have had a couple of mini skirts where the hem took the short ride up to cause some exposure. I decided against wearing them rather that being constantly vigilant about pulling the hem down. Not a good look walking down the street if one forgets.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
Pity

Post by Pity »

I love a bodycon mini but there can definitely be rising issues. Smaller steps definitely helps, but some fabrics are just slidier than others, especially if you're wearing them over bare skin. It's a common problem, you'll frequently see women wearing bodycon minis tugging at their hem :D
Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape.
mishawakaskirt
Member Extraordinaire

Post by mishawakaskirt »

Yeah, I've never been a fan of body con anything including skirts. On women or men.

I don't find body con, attractive or very practical.
On anyone.

Jim's picture s illustrated one of the hazards of body con perfectly.

Thank you for blotting out your parts.

With men in skirts unfamiliar waters and being seen as a oddity in our culture.
Body con, very short skirts, and unintentional exposure could be a legal problem most here would want to avoid.

Years ago I decided that when skirting publicly I won't wear anything shorter than just above the knee.
I consider it a moral failure on my part if someone sees my underwear by mistake on my part. An intentional up skirting by someone would be on them.
Mishawakaskirt @2wayskirt on Twitter

Avoid the middle man, wear a kilt or skirt.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

mishawakaskirt wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 4:05 pm Years ago I decided that when skirting publicly I won't wear anything shorter than just above the knee.
I consider it a moral failure on my part if someone sees my underwear by mistake on my part.
All good but I feel that you are being just a tad hard on yourself.
Mistakes and accidents happen, live and learn is my motto.
I was reported once by someone, a female who allegedly saw my underwear when I rotated my desk chair.
That is the one and only time that I felt discriminated against.
Had I made the same comment of a female colleague I'd have been the offender or just plain laughed at.
A point which I made very plain at the time, and it went no further.
Steve.
Myopic Bookworm
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Myopic Bookworm »

My wife had a similar problem with a corduroy skirt which tended to ride up slightly, but also to migrate around the body in one direction. Needless to say, she no longer has the skirt.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

For once I have to say I don't like Jim's bodycon skirts. Thy are all far too short. To my mind ridiculous on a make frame.

I submit one which I found attractive at the time, as it allowed some real movement due to its lower flared fishtail design. Bodycon it was, for sure, but it fell foul of one of MOH's 'purges' alas.

Tom
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

Pardon me boys but the bodycon skirt would be like wearing a girdle as outerwear in my opinion - - -
Give me a kilt with plenty of pleats -or- a flirty hem line skaters skirt.
Dresses are not my forte !
Prepared to take the shepards crook to yank me off my pedestal if you no like ! LOL !

And to each his own and the devil for us all - all in due time !
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

Kirbstone wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 12:13 am For once I have to say I don't like Jim's bodycon skirts. Thy are all far too short. To my mind ridiculous on a make frame.
Just one, not plural. You will note it is just above the kneecap--until it starts riding up. Then it clearly becomes ridiculous!

But it's not something I'd wear in public due to this feature.