Putting on the style

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
rivegauche
Member Extraordinaire

Putting on the style

Post by rivegauche »

I have posted elsewhere about my preference for dresses over skirts and the fact that I sometimes present as a woman. I seem to be in a minority here and among male crossdressers in the way I select my outfits. I could even say that I might be in a minority in society as so many women don't "dress up" any more. I started out buying lots of cheap clothes and then read about style consultants. I went to the House of Colour in London dressed as a woman and was styled as a woman. It was expensive but has paid for itself many times over. I got told what colours to wear and how, and got my "clothing personality" identified. As a "Classic" I should wear high quality clothes. I prefer shopping in independent boutiques but like some chains like Phase Eight and Hobbs. I have ordered three dresses from Hobbs in Edinburgh and they said they were completely used to men trying on clothes. I have been there many times, so I knew this - the staff are always lovely to me - but it was interesting to learn that there are lots of other men happy to pay for high quality dresses and skirts. Not everyone can afford the likes of Hobbs but you can sometimes find high end clothes in charity shops. For those who have not tried it - give it a go - you will notice the difference. For those who take their clothing seriously, I strongly recommend a colour/styling session - it is life changing, and mistakes are almost eliminated. Other colour/style consultants are available but I chose House of Colour after studying the market. I was so impressed that I went back and got male styling so I am one of their few customers to have been styled in both genders. And try Hobbs dresses or skirts. It is a good thing they don't have a branch near me - I would be broke.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Putting on the style

Post by STEVIE »

Hi Rivegauche,
I'd maybe differ with you about the use of style consultants, but I will agree wholeheartedly about quality clothing.
Dresses, skirts or plain old breeks, quality tells and will always win the day.
You make an interesting point about charity shops too. I know an ex-Oxfam manager and she told me about Aberdeen.
There are two local branches, and the locations have a significant effect on the donations they receive.
I'd imagine that one in Knightsbridge, London could have spectacularly rich pickings.
I just wish that I had the disposable income to match my fashion aspiration, Hobbs would be the starting point.
Steve.
Myopic Bookworm
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Myopic Bookworm »

I like Hobbs, but I probably couldn't buy any of their stuff, because it's one of my wife's main sources of smart clothes for work. (She has also started on Seasalt. I often look through her Boden catalogues, but they rarely have anything masculine enough for my taste.)
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

I’ve just been onto the Hobbs website. You’re right, RG; the clothes are classy.

Two questions:

1. How “hourglass” are the skirts? Can they work on a straight shape?

2. For jackets and dresses, how is the shoulder width? I really like some of their skirt suits…

Cheers

Ray
rivegauche
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rivegauche »

Ray wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 6:57 am I’ve just been onto the Hobbs website. You’re right, RG; the clothes are classy.

Two questions:

1. How “hourglass” are the skirts? Can they work on a straight shape?

2. For jackets and dresses, how is the shoulder width? I really like some of their skirt suits…

Cheers

Ray
Hi Ray

I am about to order three dresses from a shop (not the web site) costing a total of £447 so I have some faith in their sizing. The style consultation identified my torso shape as an inverted triangle so I have wide shoulders and have never found an issue with their dresses. The first Hobbs clothes I bought were pencil skirts and they were beautiful. My waist is quite narrow in relation to my hips for a man so I can't comment on suitability for others. The best thing to do is visit a shop and try them on - the staff are actively nice. I really want a navy skirt suit but they don't currently do one - they said the demand for skirt suits ha dropped off since covid so they have reduced their range. Good luck
Midas
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Midas »

I can’t say that Hobbs clothes inspire me and they seem overpriced. I have some Boden dresses but prefer Seasalt and White Stuff. Recently I’ve bought a couple of Fat Face dresses that could become my favourites.
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

Thanks, RG. Really useful.

I fear that I’ll be too wide waisted (or insufficiently hipped) for skirts to sit neatly on me, but as you suggest, trying things on is the only way really.

The prices are not cheap, but everything I have experienced (okay, everything girlfriends and wife of mine have experienced) gives me comfort that the prices being charged are reasonable for the quality provided. Bluntly, the stuff looks fantastic when worn.
nzfreestyler
Member Extraordinaire

Post by nzfreestyler »

Hi

I have several Hobbs suits and a couple of dresses. They are (my straight skirts - not what I would call a pencil as they aren't super tailored to me) shaped and I'm not sure that they would be right without hips? The sheath dress I have is quite shaped so I am guessing you would need to try styles - some of the tailoring really are smart looking - but its a bit to do with the waist/hip portion in the skirts I have. Mine are several seasons old - but I'd guess their tailoring/measurements are still pretty much the same.

I'd recommend trying on for sure - if you don't have hips than look for a more a-line or fluted style perhaps - I can confirm the straighter styles are nicely tailored through your torso and rear.

good luck!! Its so much fun discovering a new brand and finding a style you like.

cheers
NZF
rivegauche
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rivegauche »

The styling I got gives you a Clothing Personality. Mine is Natural Classic. The Classic bit makes Hobbs clothes suitable for me. They wouldn't work for everyone. I buy most of my clothes from independent boutiques and find that Betty Barclay and Marc Cain dresses really work for me. If you like expensive clothes the styling is well worth the money. Hobbs staff have told me they tend to repeat styles so once you find something there that works you're sorted.