Is this a gender neutral skirt?

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Is this a gender neutral skirt?

Post by Barleymower »

Here's a Christmas gender neutral skirt c/o my youngest son.
Screenshot_20221226_125558_Photos.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Barleymower wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 12:59 pm Here's a Christmas gender neutral skirt c/o my youngest son.

All power to the Wee Guy, BM and I see specs too.
I wore them from age 5 and they were the bane of my existence.
The kids now have no issue with wearing glasses, maybe in 30 years or so, boy's skirts will be the same.
Steve.
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

STEVIE wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 9:11 pm
Barleymower wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 12:59 pm Here's a Christmas gender neutral skirt c/o my youngest son.

All power to the Wee Guy, BM and I see specs too.
I wore them from age 5 and they were the bane of my existence.
The kids now have no issue with wearing glasses, maybe in 30 years or so, boy's skirts will be the same.
Steve.
I didn't wear glasses so didn't really think about it. My neighbour suffered. All that seems to have gone now.
I think men in skirts problems will go aswell Stevie. Maybe not soon a enough for us.
I take heart in an library article from 1999 or thereabouts after David Beckhams sarong. A reporter tried it and was badly heckled. You really can walk around in London in a skirt with no issue now.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Barleymower wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 10:33 pm You really can walk around in London in a skirt with no issue now.
AYE BM,

Aberdeen, London, New York and then, The World!
When that happens it will most likely be down to people like your son.
We are just bit players in a supporting role.
As for spectacles, my 30 year old daughter at age 5 was upset because she was not getting them!
Changes?
Steve.
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

STEVIE wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 3:18 am
Barleymower wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 10:33 pm You really can walk around in London in a skirt with no issue now.
AYE BM,

As for spectacles, my 30 year old daughter at age 5 was upset because she was not getting them!
Changes?
Steve.
You really can walk around London, nobody minds but you will be on your own unless it is a LGBT event.

The problem now is the unsaid. At lot of baseless assumptions, fear and territory. Somehow people need to be won over. The more people see it and realise its not a problem or a threat the easier it will be.
GerdG
Member Extraordinaire

Post by GerdG »

Barleymower wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 7:27 am The more people see it and realise its not a problem or a threat the easier it will be.
Yes. What is needed are more brave men.
GerdG

There ARE viable alternatives to trousers.
GerdG
Member Extraordinaire

Post by GerdG »

Is your son wearing skirts on a regular basis, Barleymower, and if, what is his experience?
GerdG

There ARE viable alternatives to trousers.
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

GerdG wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 7:56 am
Is your son wearing skirts on a regular basis, Barleymower, and if, what is his experience?
He probably wears the dress 3 times a week after school and the new tutu/pettiskirt all day yesterday with some woolly tights from his sister. I don't think it is a big deal to him.
He wore the dress to school on home clothes day and had lots of comments which he just batted off with a smile.
familyman34
Distinguished Member

Post by familyman34 »

Barleymower wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 7:27 am
STEVIE wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 3:18 am
AYE BM,

Changes?
Steve.
You really can walk around London, nobody minds but you will be on your own unless it is a LGBT event.

The problem now is the unsaid. At lot of baseless assumptions, fear and territory. Somehow people need to be won over. The more people see it and realise its not a problem or a threat the easier it will be.
Over the last three years I have had occasion to travel to London from East Anglia at least four times, always skirted: twice to the French Embassy in Knightsbridge, and twice to vote in the French presidential elections at the polling station near Wembley (the only times that I had to go there during COVID). On three of the visits I travelled by National Express coach, and then by London buses within London; on the fourth visit I went by car to the Kilburn Road area, and then by bus into the centre of London.

The skirt was usually a plain navy one, well above the knee, probably quarter-circle shape, and with decent pockets! Bare legs, sandals on my feet, and a 35litre rucksack on my back.

No strange looks or reactions either during the main purpose of my visits, or during the wandering about to museums or shopping once the business was done.

Since then I have been there a few more times by car to visit two of my daughters, and have always travelled in a skirt, mainly for comfort.

I can't remember whether I saw any other skirted males, but I wasn't really looking. I just felt NORMAL.
Familyman34
rockpup

Post by rockpup »

I ordered this Adidas skirt and got it last night. It’s actually split down the left side, and has a strap with two hooks to decide the fit. I got it in a medium and I like the fit better then another Adidas skirt I got recently in XL. The pockets are big enough to fit my phone and overall it seems like it will be a nice item to wear. I’ll give a better review when I have time.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.