Is this a gender neutral skirt?

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Is this a gender neutral skirt?

Post by Coder »

photoguy207 wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 2:40 pm Just found it on the US site.

https://www.adidas.com/us/adicolor-cont ... N3669.html
Whoa, $80 eye-popping dollars! That’s a hefty markup!
6ft3Aussie
Member Extraordinaire

Post by 6ft3Aussie »

Coder wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 3:02 pm
photoguy207 wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 2:40 pm Just found it on the US site.

https://www.adidas.com/us/adicolor-cont ... N3669.html
Whoa, $80 eye-popping dollars! That’s a hefty markup!
Yep... I hear you...

I had a look at the website and when it asked me if I was really in Australia (it refused to offer shipment from the UK to AUS on the UK site), the price shown was $100! And that was when the UK price was marked down!!!

Perhaps I should order on the UK site and ship to the UK arm of the US based shipping agent I've used, and then ship from there. It would be cheaper.
They would then on-ship to me.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

6ft3Aussie wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 11:24 am Perhaps I should order on the UK site and ship to the UK arm of the US based shipping agent I've used, and then ship from there. It would be cheaper.
They would then on-ship to me.
Same!
Midas
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Midas »

ASOS have a similar skirt advertised as for men, a bit cheaper at £33.
Bertino56
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Bertino56 »

If it sells out so quickly, isn't that an incentive for ASOS
and other shops to get a man's skirt back in stock?
https://www.asos.com/us/asos-design/aso ... /202878217
Looks good! I might even get one for myself.
Myopic Bookworm
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Myopic Bookworm »

I have to say that, smart as the Asos one looks, it does also look very much like a kilt just turned back to front. This has an advantage over the kilt that it is easier to sit down politely, but it lacks the swing at the back. I'd prefer a skirt that was similar to a kilt but pleated all the way around.
GerdG
Member Extraordinaire

Post by GerdG »

Bertino56 wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 6:51 pm If it sells out so quickly, isn't that an incentive for ASOS
Yes, it looks good, and I like the pleats on the front, but unfortunately it is now completely out of stock. I do hope ASOS shall be back with this skirt.

In Germany only (too) small sizes are available. https://www.asos.com/de/asos-design/aso ... /202878217
GerdG

There ARE viable alternatives to trousers.
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

GerdG wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 8:23 am
Bertino56 wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 6:51 pm If it sells out so quickly, isn't that an incentive for ASOS
Yes, it looks good, and I like the pleats on the front, but unfortunately it is now completely out of stock. I do hope ASOS shall be back with this skirt.

In Germany only (too) small sizes are available. https://www.asos.com/de/asos-design/aso ... /202878217
Hope the execs at ASOS took notice of the seemingly quick sell of that product. Their second coming will likely take longer than any of us like and will probably engender snarky comments that it was just a publicity stunt. But perhaps we can all leave a comment wondering when they’ll be back in stock to “assist” their decision making.
FLbreezy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by FLbreezy »

Myopic Bookworm wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 8:59 pm I have to say that, smart as the Asos one looks, it does also look very much like a kilt just turned back to front. This has an advantage over the kilt that it is easier to sit down politely, but it lacks the swing at the back. I'd prefer a skirt that was similar to a kilt but pleated all the way around.
This seems to be a trend among these "gender neutral" skirts. I have one from Nordstrom that's pleated in the front and smooth in the back and having been used to kilts it's very confusing at first.

Perhaps if it was pleated all around then it would be the same as all the tennis skirts, etc, and they wouldn't be able to charge more for it. :lol:

Adidas sent me a 20% off coupon this week for holiday shopping, so I did order one of these to try out.
FLbreezy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by FLbreezy »

FLbreezy wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 1:11 pm Adidas sent me a 20% off coupon this week for holiday shopping, so I did order one of these to try out.
So it arrived today, and my initial impression is that it's quite nice and I think a guy trying out a skirt for the first time, especially someone younger, will really like it. I ordered a size down (L instead of XL) and the sizing is very generous, I'm on the tightest of the 3 waist clips and it's fitting just about perfect, with room to size up (depending on how much I eat at Thanksgiving). :lol:

The bit of elastic in the rear waist makes for a very comfortable fit, and it's hitting just above the knee for me, which is right where I like skirts to be. I wish the pockets were a bit deeper, but they're not bad. With the pleats in front the rear is plain, but it does flare out a little back there anyway.*

All in all I think it's a good effort, and different enough from a tennis skirt for those that care enough about such things. (I don't, but someone skirt-curious might). I do hope they keep this up and provide more variations...and bring the pricing down in line with the women's garments.

* edit: ok so there are *some* pleats in the back, the asymmetric thing threw me. :)
tnwheels

Post by tnwheels »

I got a 40% Cyber Monday code from Adidas. I am still on the fence on the length of their unisex skirt. Does anyone know the length of the medium. I could not find it on their site unless I overlooked it.
GerdG
Member Extraordinaire

Post by GerdG »

Yes. I have. Medium is 46 cm/18". It is 2 cm shorter than L, 48.5 cm/l9".

The skirt sits rather low, therefore 46 cm doesn't look that short:

I'm 176 cm/5'9"
GerdG

tnwheels

Post by tnwheels »

I thought it was short for me. I am pretty tall. 20” is about the cutoff except for skirts for walking. I wanted to try that one. My wife’s first reaction to it was too short for you. I guess she is right. It would still be great with leggings but I wanted something I could wear anytime. Also wanted to support them for offering it.
GerdG
Member Extraordinaire

Post by GerdG »

Here you have the Adidas skirt with leggings:

GerdG

STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

It rather looks this is another failed initiative, it is in the winter sale, both colours.
It will be interesting to see if they make another attempt or just let it rest in peace.
Steve.