Is this a gender neutral skirt?

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Uncle Al

Re: Is this a gender neutral skirt?

Post by Uncle Al »

Chirp wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 3:36 am U nailed it Uncle,<snip>When they try and market a skirt for men. They price it way out there.
Pricing to make the item a "Status Symbol" ............
If you've got the $$$$, flaunt it :D

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
6ft3Aussie
Member Extraordinaire

Post by 6ft3Aussie »

It's a fairly normal looking skirt, one that I'd consider.

Problem with most of the unisex or "mens" skirts is the price..... This one is a bit more reasonable but still.
geron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by geron »

Well, I showed the Adidas web page to my distaff side, not expecting much of a reaction -- but she was strikingly positive about it. She didn't care much for the green colour or the shirt-dress, but was strongly approving of the black skirt. With that encouragement, I decided to give it a go, in spite of the price -- since Adidas's computers would then register a vote for men's skirts even if I had to return it.

In the event, I was accorded a 20 per cent discount as a new customer, plus free next-day delivery. So it wasn't so bad.

The skirt duly arrived this morning, and... she likes the style and how it looks on me. The fabric (recycled, says the label) is comfortable and fairly soft; it hangs down to the knee. She pointed out that it's more of a summer weight -- though we're enjoying a mild spell this week, so no problem there. Anyway, I rate it a success.

In direct sunlight, I notice that the black fabric comes alive with countless faint pinpoints of light in many colours, which is a bit of a novelty.

Incidentally, when I added the skirt to my online basket, a popup warned me to hurry because only a few were left in my size. Possibly the site tells every customer that; but if not, it could be that the tectonic plates really are beginning to shift.
FLbreezy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by FLbreezy »

Uncle Al wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 3:55 am
Chirp wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 3:36 am U nailed it Uncle,<snip>When they try and market a skirt for men. They price it way out there.

Uncle Al
Like these? https://www.nordstrom.com/browse/men/al ... ing_skirts

$1,800 for a kilted skirt...whew. :shock:
gender free universe

Post by gender free universe »

I just noticed that there is also an Adicolor Contempo gender-neutral shirt dress in the shop. Who likes that?
https://www.adidas.co.uk/adicolor-conte ... N3665.html
rode_kater
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rode_kater »

geron wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 11:49 am The skirt duly arrived this morning, and... she likes the style and how it looks on me.
Ok, so I'm curious: how long is it in cm/inches? And what size? Because I'm getting rubbish answers from support.
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

FLbreezy wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 12:02 pm
Uncle Al wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 3:55 am

Uncle Al
Like these? https://www.nordstrom.com/browse/men/al ... ing_skirts

$1,800 for a kilted skirt...whew. :shock:
I’ve spent less on a car
FLbreezy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by FLbreezy »

gender free universe wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 3:06 pm I just noticed that there is also an Adicolor Contempo gender-neutral shirt dress in the shop. Who likes that?
I'd probably wear that around the house/yard in warm weather, probably the only thing dress-like I could see myself going for are those long t-shirt kind of dresses.

Which reminds me, this summer I around out patio I was often wearing a RipSkirt wrap skirt and a t-shirt because we spend a lot of time out there on the weekends. My wife was commenting about how it's too bad I have to wear two items and take them off/on getting in an out of the water etc, she was thinking a really long hockey jersey would be more convenient since it's a one piece cover up. Well, they don't make hockey jerseys that long in a thin fabric for someone as tall as I am...but they do make t-shirt dresses with our favorite hockey team logos. I was almost hoping she'd have gotten me one for my birthday. I'll have to suggest it more blatantly this spring, but I got the feeling that "long hockey jersey" => masculine, "long t-shirt that's almost identical to a hockey jersey" => a bridge too far.
FLbreezy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by FLbreezy »

ScotL wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 12:23 am
FLbreezy wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 12:02 pm $1,800 for a kilted skirt...whew. :shock:
I’ve spent less on a car
Pretty sure that's more than my first few cars combined. Depends on if you adjust for inflation or not. :lol:
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

FLbreezy wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 2:37 pm
ScotL wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 12:23 am
FLbreezy wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 12:02 pm $1,800 for a kilted skirt...whew. :shock:
I’ve spent less on a car
Pretty sure that's more than my first few cars combined. Depends on if you adjust for inflation or not. :lol:
What can I say, I need to drive a high end car!
geron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by geron »

rode_kater wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 7:23 pm Ok, so I'm curious: how long is it in cm/inches? And what size? Because I'm getting rubbish answers from support.
I ordered size L, as recommended by the calculator on the site -- it asks for height, weight, etc. I'm about 97cm waist and it fits well. The waistband has two pairs of clips 5cm apart, giving that much adjustment. Length is 49cm from the top of the waistband to the hem
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

gender free universe wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 3:06 pm I just noticed that there is also an Adicolor Contempo gender-neutral shirt dress in the shop. Who likes that?
Hi GFU,
I'd wear the skirt or the dress but as I consider clothes non-gender in the first place, the point is moot.
Across the whole Adidas collection there are very few items that aren't gender neutral/unisex simply because of their shape and purpose.
Ultimately that distinction is down to the wearer and how brave, rebellious or self-assured is feeling.
FLbreezy wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 12:02 pm $1,800 for a kilted skirt...whew.
Breezy,
Thom Browne offers this one at £3,440 which would equate roughly to the USD these days.
https://www.farfetch.com/uk/shopping/me ... reid=12016
This was based on a cursory look. I daresay it is not the highest price either.

While these two would appear to be poles apart, there is a common thread. They both seek to exploit a demand arising from the fear of most men to be seen to be wearing anything considered feminine. The premium for a "man-anything" has been a bugbear of mine for a long time too and the only solution is aisle hopping.

Then we have,
geron wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 11:49 am Incidentally, when I added the skirt to my online basket, a popup warned me to hurry because only a few were left in my size. Possibly the site tells every customer that; but if not, it could be that the tectonic plates really are beginning to shift.
Hi Geron,
Don't head for the hills yet. This is more likely because Adidas had a limited amount made in the first place. Truth, certainly but the implication just a tad misleading. Few, how long is that string anyway?
The amount made may also be more similar than the brand/cost would indicate too.

Gender Neutral, what price fashion freedom is very relevant too?
Steve.
skirtpettiman
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtpettiman »

£3,440 for this skirt?

I'd be quite happy to wear it but I would prefer if the decimal point was shifted 2 places to the left. I might just pay £100 for it seeing as it's wool. Only problem with wool it can be a bit itchy; no mention of any lining; a slip might be needed.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

skirtpettiman wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 7:57 pm £3,440 for this skirt?
I'd be quite happy to wear it but I would prefer if the decimal point was shifted 2 places to the left. I might just pay £100 for it seeing as it's wool. Only problem with wool it can be a bit itchy; no mention of any lining; a slip might be needed.
Hi Skirtpettiman
You could easily get a nicely made lined skirt at around £100 or so but not with the Thom Browne label is all.
Do bear in mind that all wool is not the same and non-itchy woollen skirts are available too.
Steve.
rode_kater
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rode_kater »

geron wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 8:55 am
rode_kater wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 7:23 pm Ok, so I'm curious: how long is it in cm/inches? And what size? Because I'm getting rubbish answers from support.
I ordered size L, as recommended by the calculator on the site -- it asks for height, weight, etc. I'm about 97cm waist and it fits well. The waistband has two pairs of clips 5cm apart, giving that much adjustment. Length is 49cm from the top of the waistband to the hem
Thank you, that's very helpful. That's actually a very good length, much more than I would have expected from the pictures. I've ordered one (also got the comment only 3 left).