Is this a gender neutral skirt?

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
ScotL
Chatbot

Re: Is this a gender neutral skirt?

Post by ScotL »

So “gender-neutral” equates too closely with non-binary but unisex is an accepted term we all have seen before in stores?

I’m not in fashion, retail or even business so take this with the naivety that it needs. Isnt it expensive to manufacturer a line of clothing? Not the actual production which likely gets farmed out to a sweatshop that employs children (last snarky comment here). But the design, the discussion, the mock ups… If I were to want to make a new line of clothing, I think I’d like to know there’s a market rather than just sink a bunch of money into it and “hope.”

I think what we are seeing is the proverbial dipping of toes into the water to see what sells.

Likely means it’s on us to show that there is a market.
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

Coder wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 9:36 pm
pelmut wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 9:20 pm Regardless of price or marketing terminology, the advertisment is a huge improvement over the kind of rubbish that used to appear whenever men were shown wearing skirts.  This looks completely normal and quite smart -- the sort of thing an ordinary man might be tempted to wear -- a far cry from the catwalk pictures of glowering morons wearing ludicrous parodies of unsuitable skirts in tortured poses, which we complained about a few years ago.
Totally. It's the kind of advert I could send to a family member and be like, "See, my skirt-wearing isn't weird, Adidas is selling one now".
I completely agree. The mere fact that they are being sold by a big company (read not an online niche or boutique) means that others must be interested. And if others are interested it must be ok. Insert lemming meme here.

I also like that the male model is otherwise a man. Just swap shorts for a skirt. No offense to those here who dress more feminine, but typical guys ain’t gonna even contemplate wearing a skirt if it’s associated with other feminine stuff. Hard enough leap to accept wearing an unbifurcated bottom.

But once they do, I hear a dam breaking
tnwheels

Post by tnwheels »

I sent a message to Adidas to see if this skirt will be available in the US. I figure showing some interest can’t hurt. If that were available here with easy returns I would definitely give it a try.
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

tnwheels wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 10:49 pm I sent a message to Adidas to see if this skirt will be available in the US. I figure showing some interest can’t hurt. If that were available here with easy returns I would definitely give it a try.
Yeah, I tried voting with my wallet but they don’t ship to the US.
rode_kater
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rode_kater »

I'm also interested in voting with my wallet, but it looks pretty short. I'm fairly tall and I find anything under 40cm starts looking a bit weird (though it depends a bit on where it hangs). I've asked them a question about the length, we'll see what happens.
gender free universe

Post by gender free universe »

I think we should take the ad as a test. H&M and ZARA have also offered skirts for men in their online shops in recent years. These were always small-scale campaigns to check the market.

The way I read it, the big players in retail have noticed that Generation Z in particular is different. There are rappers who perform in skirts and male teenagers who wear their girlfriend's eyeliner and lip gloss.

Market research sees that after women's fashion has become completely free, similar changes are about to affect men's fashion. They just keep an eye open not to miss the tipping point always ready to react right on the spot.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

gender free universe wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 9:18 am I think we should take the ad as a test. H&M and ZARA have also offered skirts for men in their online shops in recent years. These were always small-scale campaigns to check the market.
Precisely GFU.
In the UK, Sports Direct is the biggest retailer here and Adidas is obviously a major seller for them.
I had a look at their website earlier and no trace yet.
Early days I guess but if they take them on board there are real possibilities.
Adidas has its own outlets too, but SD is represented on most UK high streets and will have a much wider customer base too.
Personally, I'd like to visit a shop to try on and see the "nearly blue" as black is too much like workwear for me.
Work in progress but 2 new dresses in the pipeline creates opportunity cost decisions and the dresses have the edge for me right now.
Hell, what has happened to cynical old me?
Steve.
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

gender free universe wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 9:18 am
The way I read it, the big players in retail have noticed that Generation Z in particular is different.
They’ve noticed there is possibly a new way to make more money. Can you imagine the publicity around a company if they were the ones to be the straw that broke the camels back that opened up skirt wearing to men? Ad campaigns talking about the original unisex clothing store
FLbreezy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by FLbreezy »

tnwheels wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 10:49 pm I sent a message to Adidas to see if this skirt will be available in the US. I figure showing some interest can’t hurt. If that were available here with easy returns I would definitely give it a try.
It's kind of telling that they have this in Europe but not the US. They might be afraid of headlines making fun of them for being too woke or pushing a trans agenda on kids or some other stupid sh*t. I really hate what my country has become sometimes.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

FLbreezy wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 1:59 pm It's kind of telling that they have this in Europe but not the US. They might be afraid of headlines making fun of them for being too woke or pushing a trans agenda on kids or some other stupid sh*t. I really hate what my country has become sometimes.
I was thinking that too - they have other items from this collection, but not the skirts.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

FLbreezy wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 1:59 pm It's kind of telling that they have this in Europe but not the US. They might be afraid of headlines making fun of them for being too woke or pushing a trans agenda on kids or some other stupid sh*t. I really hate what my country has become sometimes.
I guess that provides an answer to the original question.
Not until "society" says it is!
I cannot see how any amount of advertising will change that unless there is a huge uptake in the more "relaxed" areas.
Do we need to send "skirt missionaries" to spread the unbifurcated gospel among the unenlightened?
Steve.
Spirou003
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Spirou003 »

Looks like a very nice skirt I could enjoy, but at that price I would first want to try it on before to buy (regardless of the aisle where I could find it)

Edit: just tried to ask them if they know any physical store where I could find it, but I can't find any way to write them. Only phone call during working hours, but I'm working during working hours :-/
Chirp
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Chirp »

I don't agree with Gender Neutral bla bla bla stuff places try to push.
Call it what it is and be done with it. If it's a skirt it's a skirt,

This add for a mens skirt keeps it simple and to point,
If a guy see's it and likes it so be it,
But for price u can still get womans skirt that looks 100% the same for 3rd the price,

https://www.etsy.com/ca/listing/1060908 ... -1-1&sts=1
No one mess's with a big guy in kilt
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

Chirp,

Nice skirt but out of my price range, even with the conversion from CAD to USD.
I prefer the 'cheep stuff' from Walmart or Amazon.

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
Chirp
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Chirp »

U nailed it Uncle,
U can get cheeper and odds are fits better for far less,

When they try and market a skirt for men. They price it way out there.
No one mess's with a big guy in kilt