Blending in

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Blending in

Post by Barleymower »

I look forward to it Steve. :cheers:
Last edited by Barleymower on Tue Oct 18, 2022 5:20 am, edited 3 times in total.
Ozdelights
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ozdelights »

Barleymower wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 7:28 am Pushing my bike through the town centre on Thursday I was struck (again) by the lack of skirts out there.
I know some of the reasons for the lack of skirts:
- Overweight women getting chubb rub;
- The masculineisation of society (and with it the hatred of toxic masculinity);

And yet I still find it hard to comprehend. I find skirts so comfortable, the array of fabrics and styles is mind blowing. They feel fantastic and are fun. Yet there they all are, trousers, leggings and baggy shorts on every horizon. Hardly a skirt in sight. It's tragic.

I wish there were more women out there who wanted to dress up. More men prepared to dress as they would like instead of waiting until the coast is clear.

I'm feeling a bit negative today because I want change and change is not happening. I suppose it is wrapped in with my new purchase, a grey crinkle, full circle skirt. It's beautiful but pushing the boundaries of skirt wearing.
I have spent a couple of weeks in North Queensland where it is certainly beginning to warm up. What I did notice was many women, not the majority, wearing skirts or dresses. It goes to show that it's a much better option in warmer times. Now we need more men to realise this and join them.
e2k2houck

Post by e2k2houck »

I agree, I don't see many women wearing skirts, no men except for me. I really take notice when I see a woman wearing a skirt. I like checking them out and wondering if it's a skirt that I would wear.
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

e2k2houck wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 12:06 pm I agree, I don't see many women wearing skirts, no men except for me. I really take notice when I see a woman wearing a skirt. I like checking them out and wondering if it's a skirt that I would wear.
Where I live in Florida, USA, there are a lot of women wearing skirts. When I visited Spain, tons of women in skirts. Wonder if it’s a temperature related phenomenon.
mishawakaskirt
Member Extraordinaire

Post by mishawakaskirt »

In my neck of the woods, (Indiana USA) while it was warm there while it was warm even into September. There was a fairly decent skirt wearing women representation. 5% to 10%.??

As soon as it turned cold 45 to 55 degrees F.
The norm is jeans or leggings. So boring.

I also have only had one opportunity to skirt in the last two weeks, so sad. Skirts are less of a desire to wear as it turns cold.
Mishawakaskirt @2wayskirt on Twitter

Avoid the middle man, wear a kilt or skirt.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

mishawakaskirt wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 4:39 pmAs soon as it turned cold 45 to 55 degrees F.
That's likely the future. Get used to it. It's been getting more and more brutal and boring since the late 1970s.
I also have only had one opportunity to skirt in the last two weeks, so sad. Skirts are less of a desire to wear as it turns cold.
That depends on your choice of skirt and underlayment. I've got rigs that'll keep me nice and toasty warm down to about -10 F so long as I can keep things dry.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

crfriend wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 6:35 pm
mishawakaskirt wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 4:39 pmAs soon as it turned cold 45 to 55 degrees F.
That's likely the future. Get used to it. It's been getting more and more brutal and boring since the late 1970s.
That depends on your choice of skirt and underlayment. I've got rigs that'll keep me nice and toasty warm down to about -10 F so long as I can keep things dry.
Even though I didn't wear a skirt last Monday due to weather (erm, and fear :D), for me at least, it's not a big deal even with knee-length until it gets to the low 20's. And then only an issue when the wind picks up. In the dead of winter, with 6" of snow outside, you'll see the occasional "dude" wearing cargo shorts and sneakers, so how is a knee-length skirt any different (ignoring the obvious skirt != shorts)?

However - there are incentives not to skirt for a lot of women - less upkeep during the winter, long skirts will get wet from the snow, and are probably not that comfortable if you have to dig yourself out of parking lot. Not all like boots+skirts look (some swap shoes in the office). Plus - wet pants are awful but I can imagine a wet long skirt is just as bad. So I don't blame them for wearing leggings, etc... just ask that they are OK with my choice to wear a skirt. Which I imagine, for the most part, they don't really care.
e2k2houck

Post by e2k2houck »

I have worn my skirts in pretty cold weather hiking and have been very comfortable.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

Musing over the subject of "Blending In" and the slew or articles recently in the News and Advocacy section brought to mind my attire today, not my usual selection, but a skirt I particularly enjoy & I had coupled it with 'embroidered' shirt also of a color I seldom select; then when I stopped in to see a seamstress that was making a skirt for me --- well, she had just started a project of making sombreros out of recycled material and the one on top of the stack 'blended in' with my days color scheme, so I added it to my purchases, and voila --this is what came to be:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/j4uEk4U4HfM2xY8V7

Staged obviously as I'm sitting here reading SC this evening, but readily accepted as I went through my days errands and outings, with a couple of compliments along the way --the outfit is a bit more colorful than I often dress, but it seemed to be appreciated, by the ladies anyway. Sorry for the slippers and poor color (not as strong red/black/orange in this artificial light) but -- hey, I was "blending in" today!
FLbreezy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by FLbreezy »

Faldaguy wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 2:50 am --this is what came to be:
That's a good outfit!

Regarding some of the earlier comments in this thread, I do see a fair amount of skirted women in my area of Florida. The youngest part of the curve is all shorts and yoga pants of course, but among adult women with a healthy BMI it seems skirts are still popular.
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

There's a bit more to the 'blending in' thread. Of course I want to blend in, most people do. I don't like seeing that disgusted look I sometimes get when people see me. It's my own fault, I'm wearing what I want and what I want can be a bit 'floaty'.

I just felt, when walking down the highstreet among the trousers, joggers and leggings that I could have a big sign above my head.

It would be great to see some women in skirts and dresses and of course men in skirts.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

I think blending in is why it takes me forever to put together an outfit (and sometimes later regretting the combination). For instance was going to wear a navy skirt, black boots, and blue/white shirt today. Instead I opted for a slightly more colorful ochre/red fall-themed fit. Even though the second was more colorful, the starkness between my pasty white legs and the navy skirt was too jarring for me. I felt that stood out more because the contrast was so great.
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

Coder wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 10:21 pm I think blending in is why it takes me forever to put together an outfit (and sometimes later regretting the combination). For instance was going to wear a navy skirt, black boots, and blue/white shirt today. Instead I opted for a slightly more colorful ochre/red fall-themed fit. Even though the second was more colorful, the starkness between my pasty white legs and the navy skirt was too jarring for me. I felt that stood out more because the contrast was so great.
I wonder if you also take “forever” to put an outfit together cause you “have” to look good. You aren’t afforded the slip up a woman does if she wears a skirt. She’s just got on a bad combo whereas you have a bad combo and are a man in a skirt.
Midas
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Midas »

The process is much easier if you wear a dress.
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

Midas wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 11:04 am The process is much easier if you wear a dress.
How so? Not to speak for Coder but I feel I share his reticence. Wanting to wear a skirt for comfort but don’t want to be thought of as anything but wearing for comfort. Putting on a dress opens up a whole new can of worms in that arena if answering the question “why?”