Blending in

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Midas
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Blending in

Post by Midas »

No it doesn’t. Dresses are significantly more comfortable than skirts. Anyway, who’s bothered about the why question? Nobody has asked me why I wear a dress (which I now do more often than skirts). If they did my response would be one or all of because I can/want to/it’s more comfortable/it’s more fun/women wear what they like and so should men.

Of course I don’t submit to having my choice of clothing judged by others and also might tell them it’s none of their business. But none of this has happened because the only responses I have had have been friendly and positive.

If we have to hide behind the ‘I only do it because it’s comfortable’ mantra we will never achieve true acceptance.

To quote Dr Johnson:

‘I hate a fellow whom pride or cowardice or laziness drives into a corner and who does nothing when he is there but sit and growl. Let him come out as I do and bark.’
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Midas wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 5:26 pm If we have to hide behind the ‘I only do it because it’s comfortable’ mantra we will never achieve true acceptance.
To quote Dr Johnson:
‘I hate a fellow whom pride or cowardice or laziness drives into a corner and who does nothing when he is there but sit and growl. Let him come out as I do and bark.’
In the context of "blending-in" as I thought Barleymower meant it, I posited the question, "Why should you"?
What boundary will be pushed back if nobody notices?
As for putting an ensemble together, that just takes a bit of practice, trial and error comes with the territory.
Nobody will die if your colour scheme isn't quite perfect. Frankly, most folks will not pay the slightest attention, let alone pass judgement.
Skirts v dresses, I just go where the fancy takes me.
Why, because I have awarded myself the choice, why don't you?
Woof Woof!
Steve.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

STEVIE wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 6:05 pm Nobody will die if your colour scheme isn't quite perfect. Frankly, most folks will not pay the slightest attention, let alone pass judgement.
I should really loosen up a bit - I'm just a bit ocd about patterns - things matching - that sort of thing. And by "bit" I'm underselling my issues. By a lot.
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

Coder wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 7:21 pm
STEVIE wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 6:05 pm Nobody will die if your colour scheme isn't quite perfect. Frankly, most folks will not pay the slightest attention, let alone pass judgement.
I should really loosen up a bit - I'm just a bit ocd about patterns - things matching - that sort of thing. And by "bit" I'm underselling my issues. By a lot.
Sure, only you really know. But I also think you ain’t gonna loosen up overnight. So making sure you feel comfortable with the combo is critical. Don’t need to be tackling two demons with one outing
Myopic Bookworm
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Myopic Bookworm »

Coder wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 7:21 pm
I sympathize. Ever since, as a student, I was laughed at by friends for wearing brown and maroon/crimson together, I have been conscious of colour coordination. Skirts add a whole dimension of length and shape choices, and when planning to go out in a skirt I can spend an awful lot of energy trying to work out what works with what, and taking jackets and footwear on and off in front of a mirror.

I always envied women the simplicity of a dress as a single garment that automatically coordinated top and bottom. Just add shoes and off you go. (If only it were that simple!)
Dust
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Dust »

Myopic Bookworm wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 9:58 am ...

I always envied women the simplicity of a dress as a single garment that automatically coordinated top and bottom. Just add shoes and off you go. (If only it were that simple!)
I honestly think it's at least partly a similar sense of simplicity that keeps men wearing suits. They know they can grab their black suit, white shirt, and whatever tie is handy, and look good when they need to...
Midas
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Midas »

I know more than one person who would look like a gypsy in the most expensive of suits.
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

Midas wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 6:21 pm I know more than one person who would look like a gypsy in the most expensive of suits.
I knew a gypsy who wore ordinary clothes and looked perfectly normal.
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

Dust wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 12:17 am
Myopic Bookworm wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 9:58 am ...

I honestly think it's at least partly a similar sense of simplicity that keeps men wearing suits. They know they can grab their black suit, white shirt, and whatever tie is handy, and look good when they need to...
Agreed. With an increased choice of clothing articles, styles and colors comes increased complexity. The moguls who always wore a hoodie or turtleneck all stated they do this because it frees their mind to dwell on other things
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Dust wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 12:17 am I honestly think it's at least partly a similar sense of simplicity that keeps men wearing suits. They know they can grab their black suit, white shirt, and whatever tie is handy, and look good when they need to...
Except in their own eyes, that is Dust.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and I will decide when and who I want to look good for, I only need to suit my own self.
Steve.
Dust
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Dust »

I'm not saying some don't think they look and feel good in a suit. And I'm not saying there isn't creativity to be expressed within the confines of the male suit (sometimes restrictions are good for encouraging creativity).

What I'm saying is that for a lot of guys, a suit is a simple solution to the perceived need for looking good in certain situations. There are occasions that generally call for dressing up, and a suit assures them they met minimum standards.

Why aren't separate sports coats more popular? Fun colored (and patterned) shirts and ties? Suits in more colors? Party of it is likely because a segment of the population doesn't want to worry about what matches with what. The male uniform simplifies their life, and they don't want to expend energy going outside their comfort zone, sartorially.

Many guys don't want to (or don't have the occasion to) make their wardrobe a creative outlet. And that's fine. Most of us here, at some point, expended a lot of time, energy, and resources figuring out this thing we call "male skirt wearing." It was stressful. Rewarding, sure, but stressful. Many of us grew in other positive ways as a result.

We don't need to force anyone else to accompany us on this journey (let's not make it a forced march). But any guy who is interested is welcome to join us on the journey, or simply follow (and improve) the trail we've been blazing.