Mexican Men's skirt brand - Baron

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Mexican Men's skirt brand - Baron

Post by Coder »

https://baron.mx

If I'm converting currency correctly, around $150-200 USD, pricey.
Uncle Al

Re: Mexican Men's skirt brand - Baron

Post by Uncle Al »

Great idea Coder and yes, quite pricey :D

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

This is very interesting!
For two thousand pesos or one hundred pounds sterling and the same in dollars US we have a skirt for a guy.
A kilt will start around four hundred but a good one probably double that at least.
Then we have the eye watering Thom Browne creations at two to three thousand.
OK, a hundred pounds is not cheap but there are plenty women's skirts out there at a comparable price.
For any guy who seriously could only bring themselves to wear a "man" skirt in public then that's the cost!
More brutally, pay the money take the chance or just stop moaning about lack of choice.
If this brand were to gain real traction, some "normality" may just be achieved.
Hell, it's fashion who knows?
Even optimism from an old cynic too!
Steve.
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

Coder wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 3:06 am https://baron.mx

If I'm converting currency correctly, around $150-200 USD, pricey.
Nice find Coder!

Expensive yes! But cheaper than any other skirts for men I’ve ever seen. And theres quite a few. I’ve always heard the Mexican culture is quite macho meaning manly men doing manly things. And oversimplification of course and anything can be done online where it’s all anonymous but that’s a lot of different skirts.
Midas
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Midas »

But you can buy a proper skirt much cheaper and with more choice. Skirts sold as skirts for men look deeply unattractive and heavy. They are really pseudo kilts and aimed at kilt wearers.

I’m not saying there’s anything wrong with wearing a kilt if that’s what you want, just that I will never wear one.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

Midas wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 11:54 am But you can buy a proper skirt much cheaper and with more choice. Skirts sold as skirts for men look deeply unattractive and heavy. They are really pseudo kilts and aimed at kilt wearers.

I’m not saying there’s anything wrong with wearing a kilt if that’s what you want, just that I will never wear one.
For sure - and I'm not advocating for this brand. But that's not where MIS is going to start. Random guys aren't going to shop the women's aisle - we might because we are "enlightened*", but they won't unless their girlfriends/wives/etc... buy them for them.

A lot of the styles in this collection are masculine - kilt-inspired even. But you know what? I'm ok if that ushers in more acceptance of our styles, which I think it will.

*I'm saying this in a tongue-in-cheek sort of way.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Is the man on the right wearing a dress?
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

Grok wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 2:31 pm Is the man on the right wearing a dress?
Yes:

https://baron.mx/products/cuervo
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

Grok wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 2:31 pm Is the man on the right wearing a dress?
Seems there a quite a few dresses.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Coder wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 12:57 pm A lot of the styles in this collection are masculine - kilt-inspired even. But you know what? I'm ok if that ushers in more acceptance of our styles, which I think it will.
That depends on people supporting the brand by laying down the cash.
I said already that it may have possibilities and potential, but babylike needs feeding.
Otherwise, it will just amount to nothing.
BTW Coder, a lot of the designs in there look more "skirtish" than "Kiltish" in the accepted sense and there are the dresses too. As you said that could be good for the drab brigade, but I saw a floral number which would appeal to the mavericks amongst us.
You also made a point about wives and girlfriends making the skirt purchase on their man's behalf. My thought, most unlikely from their own side of the aisle. However, this is a "man" skirt with different connotations and if the women drove the numbers, the potential could increase exponentially.
Downside, they do not publish their shipping policy openly which would make me very wary.
I'd pay £100 for a decent skirt but not an extra £50 to obtain it.
All down to the fickle whims of the fashion Gods and not a damn thing we can do about it.
Unless you have a spare hundred bucks or another half who can react to a hint?
Steve.
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

Coder wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 12:57 pm But that's not where MIS is going to start. Random guys aren't going to shop the women's aisle - we might because we are "enlightened*", but they won't unless their girlfriends/wives/etc... buy them for them.
This is spot on in my estimation. Guys have a hard enough time walking through the women's bras and underwear section let along shopping for themselves in any section.

Forget who said it on this thread but I also agree that the woman in their life ain’t buying a skirt from theiraisle for their man.

Semantics but words are super powerful.
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

by ScotL » Sun Oct 02, 2022 7:41 am

Forget who said it on this thread but I also agree that the woman in their life ain’t buying a skirt from their aisle for their man.
There are exceptions to all the "rules" or suppositions: My wife and I often shop for skirts together -- and you can bet they are not from men's skirt row! Our shopping is often as much for one another as for ourselves -- if one of us spots a skirt we think the other would like, the find is shared and probably tested. Sometimes there is a "battle" over who gets it, or found it first! I usually concede to her wishes, and sometimes have regrets, but a happy spouse.

Others here have also commented on the women in their lives helping pick skirts for them -- so don't rule it out.
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

Faldaguy wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 2:48 am
by ScotL » Sun Oct 02, 2022 7:41 am

Forget who said it on this thread but I also agree that the woman in their life ain’t buying a skirt from their aisle for their man.
There are exceptions to all the "rules" or suppositions: My wife and I often shop for skirts together -- and you can bet they are not from men's skirt row! Our shopping is often as much for one another as for ourselves -- if one of us spots a skirt we think the other would like, the find is shared and probably tested. Sometimes there is a "battle" over who gets it, or found it first! I usually concede to her wishes, and sometimes have regrets, but a happy spouse.

Others here have also commented on the women in their lives helping pick skirts for them -- so don't rule it out.
Agreed it happens for a precious few. Ask yourself, would your wife have shopped for a skirt for you before she knew you liked or wanted to wear one? Or have you come to this awesome thing because you’ve been open with wanting to wear one?

This is a matter of perspective. I don’t know how long you’ve been wearing a skirt openly but I suspect your perspective is different than the average Joe who hasn’t really contemplated wearing a skirt ever. Their wives also have likely never contemplated their husband wearing a skirt ever. Do you really see the woman who has never thought about her husband wearing a skirt buying a skirt for a man who has never contemplated wearing one from the womens clothing store?
FLbreezy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by FLbreezy »

These guys are making really good stuff, in the $50-90 range...unfortunately a bit difficult to order from Brazil though.

https://www.osgmoda.com.br/kilt--saia-sob-medida/c
https://www.osgmoda.com.br/kilt--saia-casual/c
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

by ScotL » Tue Oct 04, 2022 4:21 am

Faldaguy wrote: ↑Mon Oct 03, 2022 8:48 pm
There are exceptions to all the "rules"

by ScotL » Tue Oct 04, 2022 4:21 am
Agreed it happens for a precious few.

Do you really see the woman who has never thought about her husband wearing a skirt buying a skirt for a man who has never contemplated wearing one from the womens clothing store?
Scott, my point was there are exceptions -- don't draw absolutes from generalities (your math teacher will flunk you! :( )

I fear you hammer on the theme of doubt, fear, and what others may think to the exclusion of just doing what you want to do. There is no short cut, no changing everyone else, no magic potion that is going to allow you to wear a skirt with instant comfort -- the only way it will happen is to get out there and do it -- regardless of what you think others may think. It is up to you to act on your own behalf. It is that act of courage to be yourself that will help win others over as well. It is the difference between the arm-chair coach and being on the field.