Skirts, the wearing of.

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Skirts, the wearing of.

Post by STEVIE »

I wear skirts or dresses every day.
I'll let you know when something happens and this week it did, in a very strange way.
It involves someone who came to me workwise, a mum with 2 sons. Part of my remit is children, and it flows from there.
She refers to one of them as "her little princess" because he likes "girly" things, and she is fine with that.
However, her father, Granddad does not approve at all. He is of my own generation, but she has no clue about how I am dressed yet.
I expressed some empathy for her predicament and real admiration for her approach to her little boy.
On parting, I stood up to emerge from behind my desk and her reaction was utterly delightful.
We fell into a further discussion and here is what I took from it.
In some small way I may just have made that little fellow's life a tad easier. Some hope that Mum and Grandad are helped to be united in their support for him.
Maybe, just maybe, I have actually moved the cause for men in skirts forward by a centimetre or two.
Best of all, I have an inkling that a certain boy's Christmas stocking may actually contain something more interesting to him than a trainset.
Mum also told me that he had been asking to be allowed to wear a dress.
That random chat with a loving Mother gave me more hope for our future than all the b******t and hype that I have seen from any other source.
No theories, no pontification, just a Mum doing her very utmost for her child.
This has to be an event worth sharing.
Steve.
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Skirts, the wearing of.

Post by Ray »

Well worth sharing. A lovely and affirming read.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

Yes, a good story, an interlude like that can change lives for the better and cruicially by yourself wearing a skirt at the time.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

What an absolute delight it was to read that! Yes, a mum doing her utmost" indeed.

By the by, and for what it's worth, I was called "beautiful" again the other evening by a lovely 60-year-old lady whom I'm sort of interested in (and to think I was dressed entirely in black!)

The world really isn't all that bleak, we just need to look harder for the bright spots..
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

It makes you realise that a little suffering can be worth it.
Bikerkilt
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Bikerkilt »

Thanks for sharing
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

Yes, I think just being out there is doing more good than we realize. Was your 'exposure' intended, or just by coincidence? Either way, a good exchange.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Hi Faldaguy,
I regard it as a point of courtesy to come from behind the desk to meet, greet and part with people.
On this occasion the meet was not afforded the opportunity, the parting exposure would have happened anyway.
The conversation in between made it more relevant. The subsequent chat about dresses and Santa Klaus would not have happened without it either.
This lady is by no means affluent, so any additional expenditure on non-essentials will require some consideration.
From my own perspective, that encounter was probably the most rewarding of my skirted journey so far.
On another note, a very pretty non-English speaker told me my dress was "peculiar". I have no idea what word she was trying for, but the tone and context was perfectly complimentary. Besides, Old Peculiar is a very famous English beer so great comparison IMHO!
Steve.
Midas
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Midas »

It’s Old Peculier (not peculiar). A Peculier was a type of ecclesiastical court.

The Theakson’s logo (which in the 1970s I wore on a T shirt) is the seal of the official of the Peculier of Masham.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Hi Midas,
You certainly caught me on the hop with that one but in my defence "Theakston's" brews were never my favourite tipple.
Old Peculier, I always thought was OK but not special.
BTW, the courts of the Scottish church do not answer to the monarch or parliament, they are self-governing.
You can thank good old Enery 8 for that little peculiarity.
Steve
Midas
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Midas »

Hi Stevie

I was a Theakston’s aficionado in my twenties and a regular visitor to Masham. That was when it was a family owned business and relatively unknown outside Yorkshire.

You Scots aren’t really known for your beers, but when it comes to a good malt that’s another thing entirely.
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Big and Bashful »

Midas wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 9:29 pm Hi Stevie

I was a Theakston’s aficionado in my twenties and a regular visitor to Masham. That was when it was a family owned business and relatively unknown outside Yorkshire.

You Scots aren’t really known for your beers, but when it comes to a good malt that’s another thing entirely.
There are plenty of fantastic Scottish brews, Harvestoun, Strathaven, Fyne Ales, Orkney, they all produce superb Scottish ales, there are plenty more but they will do for starters. I stayed in Masham one Christmas when my sister lived there, I was heartbroken to discover that in Winter the local pubs don't bother stocking Old Peculier because the locals aren't mad enough to drink it! Back when I was young and stupid I preferred Marston's Owd Roger, stronger, stickier and probably one reason I am now hard of liver!
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

An incident yesterday which left me amused and bemused all at the same time and it is not a reiteration of the Kilt/Skirt debate either.
Yesterday out and about, nice day and had on the skirt in the picture but with a jersey, ankle socks and trainers. Comfy casual.
Lady, obviously local "I see that you are wearing a kilt". To which I replied, "No it is a skirt". Response, more forcefully, "it's a kilt".
She obviously would not or could not believe me, so I gave up and left her with her misconception.
I reckon that is one of the very oddest reactions I have ever had, and I have had quite a few over the years.
She seemed to favour the idea of being pranked over a guy wearing a tartan SKIRT.
Steve.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
TSH
Distinguished Member

Post by TSH »

STEVIE wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 8:03 pm An incident yesterday which left me amused and bemused all at the same time and it is not a reiteration of the Kilt/Skirt debate either.
Yesterday out and about, nice day and had on the skirt in the picture but with a jersey, ankle socks and trainers. Comfy casual.
Lady, obviously local "I see that you are wearing a kilt". To which I replied, "No it is a skirt". Response, more forcefully, "it's a kilt".
She obviously would not or could not believe me, so I gave up and left her with her misconception.
I reckon that is one of the very oddest reactions I have ever had, and I have had quite a few over the years.
She seemed to favour the idea of being pranked over a guy wearing a tartan SKIRT.
Steve.
I'm not sure what mental gymnastics she did to be as condescending and obnoxiously ignorant as possible. She couldn't have easily just said, "if you say so", instead of doubling down on her own stupidity? I seriously don't understand why people can't accept that a kilt is ANOTHER type of skirt.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

The first time I saw one of my railfan buddies, that I hadn't seen in a long while, I was skirted. He did not know I had started to wear skirts and when I got out of the car I was wearing a denim knee length skirt, his reaction why the kilt? When I said it was a skirt not a kilt he just said kilt again. So I said OK a kilt if that is what blows up you skirt. Nothing else was said and we went to visit several of his friends and he was not bothered by my "kilt" skirt.
Some people can not get past the skirt is for woman only and so it must be a kilt....
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.