Laughing matter

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Laughing matter

Post by Barleymower »

I was laughed at today by three men in work clothes. One said "you are not a girl".
I ignored it, I won't let it deter me but not pleasant.

Should have said, could have said. Too late now.
ScotL
Chatbot

Re: Laughing matter

Post by ScotL »

And yet if they were not with their buddies, would they have said anything? Gotta appear manly in front of your mates.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

Yes, best to ignore them and move on. They may as well be Martians as to any hope of communication.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

Barleymower wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 8:33 am I was laughed at today by three men in work clothes. One said "you are not a girl".
Could have said 'Your right I am a man with more guts than you!'
:lol: :lol:
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Midas
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Midas »

That’s the fun of it. Opening our front gates a few weeks ago while wearing a dress I was tooted at by two billies in a builder’s van. I gave them a wave. It’s good to give people a laugh.

More recently a woman stopped me in town to ask whether I was a man or a woman. I told her I was a man in a dress and questioned as to whether she’d ever seen one before. She laughed, said not, then said it looked good and she’d get one for her husband.

Mostly there is no reaction at all. I regard both of the above incidents as positive, which any reaction from others usually is.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Barleymower wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 8:33 am "you are not a girl".
Wow, you did shop at Specsavers!
On the other hand, best ignored and no, not nice at all.
Midas wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 5:14 pm then said it looked good and she’d get one for her husband.
Be very interesting to know if she followed through on that statement and his reaction too.
Steve.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Barleymower wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 8:33 am I was laughed at today by three men in work clothes. One said "you are not a girl".

I too have had some unpleasant dealings with the public. It's not common, but when it happens it erodes my faith in humanity for a bit.

Some people are just mean. Thankfully most people do mind their own business.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

moonshadow wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 10:49 am
I too have had some unpleasant dealings with the public. It's not common, but when it happens it erodes my faith in humanity for a bit.
Thanks for the kind words Moon.

Now would be as good a time as ever to share my experiences so far.
I started wearing skirts around about Easter time. Since my first heart beating moment out and about I am now much more confident and relaxed. I have amassed a collection of around 15 skirts that I like and feel confident in. In the morning I'm keen to get up and choose a skirt for the day and I'm excited when a new one drops on the mat. Sometimes I look in the mirror and see style, sometimes I look again and I see and old bald bloke in a skirt who everyone thinks is gay. Nevertheless I feel better about myself. I'm much more careful about how I look, hair cut, beard coming on, brushed teeth, clean nails etc. I was a bit of a slob before, I did not really care how I looked.

Mostly (95%) people ignore me. If I do get any looks its from older women, teen girls. I've had few compliments. My next door neighbour doesn't do confrontation. He turns tail if he see anything he doesn't want to deal with. He saw me the other day in a skirt and said hello and yesterday we talked about decorating for at least 10minutes. The lady we pass every morning on the way to the bus stop still says hello. I don't go to the school playground in a skirt, my youngest says it's fine but its hard standing there with the parents waiting. So I don't do it anymore. Those guys were ***holes, that's their look out. A man in Sainsburys (supermarket) shelf stacking looked surprised today and then had a look like a big pile of horse manure just landed in front of him and he had to clean it up. I was a surprised as him, we both looked surprised at each other. I was really cross at first but after a few minutes I was chuckling to myself that I gave him such a shock. It's all good attention.

My wife is much more settled now. I pay her more attention, I cook more, I complain less. She's happy. She doesn't really like the skirts, there's a TERF side to her that she does not like herself. She fully accepts though that a man has the right to wear whatever he wants in the same way women do. She is not a fan of trans women. She's safe because I won't be transitioning. I saw the faceapp portrait of me as a women, I felt so sad when I saw her. She was so pretty.

That's it that's where I'm at I hope you all have a good day in whatever you are wearing.
FLbreezy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by FLbreezy »

moonshadow wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 10:49 am I too have had some unpleasant dealings with the public. It's not common, but when it happens it erodes my faith in humanity for a bit.

I'm glad I haven't had any bad experiences yet, I'm sure it will happen eventually. Admittedly since I moved to a much more rural/conservative area in the last year I've been a little more guarded about what I wear to certain places. As you say, most people tend to mind their own business, and my direct neighbors have never seen me not wearing a kilt/skirt so they probably just figure I'm eccentric and leave it at that. They're still friendly and chatty with me.