Men in skirts around the world - Straw Poll

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Men in skirts around the world - Straw Poll

Post by Barleymower »

The skirt cafe spans the globe, there's enough knowledge amongst the cafe patrons to answer this question.
How prevalent are men in skirts in your area? How are men in skirts where you live treated?
Where is the best place in the world to live for a man in skirt?
eg (hypothetical) "hey Jon how's it going? Great skirt by the way. Where did you get it?"

Straw Poll: an ad hoc or unofficial vote. It is used to show the popular opinion on a certain matter.
ScotL
Chatbot

Re: Men in skirts around the world - Straw Poll

Post by ScotL »

I’m the only one here I know about.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

I have been told that there are other males that wear skirts in York but I've never seen any. But then I rarely go into the City centre, living on the outskirts as I do. How am I treated? Never had a problem, the only opposition is my wife. Work colleagues, the great unwashed - no problem. From my perspective the best place for me to wear a skirt is here.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

I know in my neck of the woods (liberal college town) there are skirted males, I’ve seen one every so many years. Outside of that - no.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Barleymower wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 5:44 pm How prevalent are men in skirts in your area?
As far as I know, I'm the only one, at least I've never ran across another.
Barleymower wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 5:44 pm How are men in skirts where you live treated?
I believe I'm tolerated.
Barleymower wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 5:44 pm Where is the best place in the world to live for a man in skirt?
I'd say any place that abides true freedom.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Barleymower wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 5:44 pmHow prevalent are men in skirts in your area?
I have met several from Skirt Cafe who are in my region; however, aside from my chance spotting of a man in a skirt on Boston's "T" (Metro) in the 1980s it's been zero, although my late ex- supposedly spotted one at a supermarket in Worcester some many years ago.
How are men in skirts where you live treated?[
All I can comment on is how I've been treated and how the guys I've met have been treated, and I've never heard of a lick of problems that were not drugs- or alcohol- related. I can't really comment on how I'm treated in my (new) adopted home-town as I have a "reputation" (i.e. a larger-than-life persona) locally, but I have worn skirts in Seattle, WA, Denver, CO, New York City, Savannah, GA (where I was a bit of a hit in many places), and just anywhere I go -- and I have never had a problem that didn't have a chemical root-cause.
From this boy's point of view, any place you have the guts to wear it.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

Barleymower wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 5:44 pm The skirt cafe spans the globe, there's enough knowledge amongst the cafe patrons to answer this question.
How prevalent are men in skirts in your area? How are men in skirts where you live treated?
Well I have not seen any others around here wearing skirts. My daughter saw a worker in wally world in a kilt last year.

I believe right where I am at is the best place to wear a skirt. I too have worn skirts in many places, Augusta and Savannah Ga, Colorado, Nebraska, and Ohio. Never had a problem at all.
:D
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Chirp
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Chirp »

Have seen many men in kilts in my area,

When it comes to skirts, 2 or 3 times a year,
But if u were to go to any of the music festivals u would find few guys in skirts and even dress's.
In my area no one cares what others wear.
No one mess's with a big guy in kilt
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

I too am a population of 1. There are other guys here who say they have worn skirts in public --three of them from Austin TX; I think I've spotted two chaps, but not close enough to be positive.

Like other's reported -- I have worn skirts in many places, throughout Costa Rica; but in several other countries as well: Thailand, AU, NZ, Peru, Ecuador, Argentina, Tonga, Tahiti, US, & Canada for places I have frequently worn skirts, and a few others that were on limited occasions before I was wearing them exclusively, including a college campus in Kenya. I was not willing to wear one in Zimbabwe, though it may have been ok, my comfort level with the politics, repression and self-appointed police was disconcerting to say the least. I'd have a hard time picking a favorite -- maybe Thailand or you might enjoy Fiji with their cops in skirts! If you count Kilts, they of course pop up now and then -- popular in July 4th parades and St. Patty day celebrations as well.

Virtually no problem -- though I have had more questions in congregate living homes for the elderly -- friendly enough, but willing to ask where others mostly ignore you.

I have been asked a couple times in thrift shops if I "dance" -- it seems there are some dance groups that apparently commonly attract men who come to the dances in skirts. I did see a few men in skirts at a dance at a Hot Spring in CA where most of the folks were naked in the pools, and the 'free-style' (not the right word) dances brought out all kinds of attire.
john62
Member Extraordinaire

Post by john62 »

Here in Melbourne Australia, 2 kilts and 1 skirt last year, over the last 10 years or so.
I wear skirts when I shop and walking around the streets, only one negative comment in 10 years or so.

John
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

Living in rural Illinois, in a village of 850, I've known 5 other men who wear skirts. Two had been in the Pacific island region where they learned to like sarongs, and mostly just wore them at home in private. One is now considering himself "gender-fluid". The other two wore skirts casually from time to time.
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

Jim wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 1:16 pm Living in rural Illinois, in a village of 850, I've known 5 other men who wear skirts. Two had been in the Pacific island region where they learned to like sarongs, and mostly just wore them at home in private. One is now considering himself "gender-fluid". The other two wore skirts casually from time to time.
I imagine you know more about the secret wearing of skirts by guys in your town since you are so open about it.

Interesting that the stereotype of rural towns being super conservative still has men wearing skirts…
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

Results so far:
ScottL -1
Sinned - York - 1
Coder - Liberal college town - 1
Moonshadow - 1
Crfriend - Boston/Worchester - 1
Fred in skirts - 1 last year
Chirp - Many kilts, a few guys in skits and dresses at music festivals
Faldaguy - 1, austin Tx, Fiji cops in skirts
John62 - Melbourne Australia, 2 kilts and 1 skirt last year, over the last 10 years or so
Jim - rural Illinois - 5 (mostly at home)
Barleymower - 1 (me) and two kilts. At Brighton Pride I must have seen 30 but it was Pride so doesn't count.

It paints the picture I was expecting to see. That is, not a lot of men in skirts, practically none. When compared the skirts and dresses I see on women and girls, honestly - I'm monumentally hacked off. What kind of a world do we live where people are forced to dress as they want to in secret? Is there nothin we can do as a group about the injustice? excepting Crfriend contribution to CNN - WOW.

Btw Chirp, it sounds great where you live. I would like to visit!

Fiji skirted cops. Cool!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Barleymower wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 6:35 pmIs there nothin we can do as a group about the injustice? excepting Crfriend contribution to CNN - WOW.
And to think that that was a chance encounter. Moreover, it shows what one can do with such an opportunity. We should all execute on any chances we get in life, for life is too short to waste opportunity.

One need not resort to hyperbole, one does not need to resort to distorting the language. One can present his thoughts cogently in a quiet distinguished manner, and that speaks vastly louder than the shrillest exaggeration can possibly convey. Not one exaggeration, and not one falsehood; it's the way I roll.

And here I am getting set to head out for dinner. Red satin brocade waistcoat, purple palazzos, a black dress shirt to pick the brocade of the vest, and red flats with black floral embroidery on them. It's not going to help me find romance, but I'm happy with the look.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Big and Bashful »

I haven't seen anyone else locally, although someone I know who spotted my skirt when I was chatting to him while in my car, he told me he wears one in the house but not outside. I have seen one or two in skirts in Glasgow apart from myself, over a lot of years, one or two more in lightweight hiking kilts. Apart from kilts that's it. Oh, many many years ago in the first year of my apprenticeship, I was staying in a YMCA, a guy there wore a skirt for a day or so, he said it was a protest about the right to wear skirts (I think, 1979 was a long time ago!) Maybe he was the first, even pre Tom's cafe?
Back then the thought of wearing a skirt hadn't even occurred to me and we thought he was a bit mad. Times have changed!
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!