Men in skirts around the world - Straw Poll

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
e2k2houck

Re: Men in skirts around the world - Straw Poll

Post by e2k2houck »

Where I live in Colorado I haven't seen any other men in skirts. I have been to NY, Montana hiking, drove to Long Island wearing just skirts, in plenty of airports and have never had any negative comments. Actually only a couple of comments from both men and women, all positive. I did have a woman chase me down to ask me where I got the skirt I was wearing. It wouldn't matter if I got some negative comments I would still wear my skirts, way too comfortable not to. At last count I think I'm up to 43 skirts and I'm sure as I find colors that I like I will buy more.
TheSkirtedMan
Member Extraordinaire

Post by TheSkirtedMan »

Barleymower wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 6:35 pm Results so far:
ScottL -1
Sinned - York - 1
Coder - Liberal college town - 1
Moonshadow - 1
Crfriend - Boston/Worchester - 1
Fred in skirts - 1 last year
Chirp - Many kilts, a few guys in skits and dresses at music festivals
Faldaguy - 1, austin Tx, Fiji cops in skirts
John62 - Melbourne Australia, 2 kilts and 1 skirt last year, over the last 10 years or so
Jim - rural Illinois - 5 (mostly at home)
Barleymower - 1 (me) and two kilts. At Brighton Pride I must have seen 30 but it was Pride so doesn't count.

It paints the picture I was expecting to see. That is, not a lot of men in skirts, practically none. When compared the skirts and dresses I see on women and girls, honestly - I'm monumentally hacked off. What kind of a world do we live where people are forced to dress as they want to in secret? Is there nothin we can do as a group about the injustice? excepting Crfriend contribution to CNN - WOW.

Btw Chirp, it sounds great where you live. I would like to visit!

Fiji skirted cops. Cool!
Don't get hacked off.

I am the only one in my area but then we are rural with more sheep per square mile than people! Although in our nearest town I have seen a man in a utilikilt a few times but never to speak too but my routine changed and not since. Have seen the odd man in a skirt on my travels here in the UK, ignoring the Scottish Kilt, at distances, but quite honestly visual sightings are quite rare.

Yes it is sad some, even many, men dress in secret, a few who meet me openly say so, admiring my confidence. What can we do, well quite simply the men who do go out publicly in skirts be it society female labelled or even under the many other labels like Sarong, Utilikilt and Kilt to name but three continue to do so. Perhaps public nationwide or local group meets within this forum then a group of men in skirts is seen, not as society believes just one or a few.

Let the trickle become a stream, river then ocean. I do wear my society still labelled female clothing as a man in all aspects of my life, locally and nationwide, even in Europe, not a regular international globetrotter. I meet no resistance, odd stare, pointing, rare giggle, don't others in many aspects of life, but I do get loads of compliments.

Let our public actions do the talking and promoting. Yes take opportunity via media, I have been part of independent media promotion and asked by a magazine to make reference to me, and been on BBC Radio York four times.

The biggest area I have for promoting men in skirts is in reality and have made dozens of friends and acquaintances since going public. No issue volunteering at a Historic Hall or doing digital presentations for them at clubs and societies. With the latter no one ever makes reference to what I have on and at the Hall quite often positive talk on the subject from visitors - skirts not the Hall!

It took decades for women to have no restriction on clothing expectations in work, leisure. They too had negativity in the early 1900's from both men and women. Even pre 1990's I know from experience clothing expectations were still placed upon women. Its just the same for men. That's how society works, society never learns not even when it gives for one but ignores for another.

The time may come for men but we continue to lay the seeds. Society is obsessed with masculinity by both men and women and clothing is one of the emblems, the flag. That will not change readily but it didn't for women either in clothing. From my experience in reality, many do accept men in skirts, both men and women and we need to show that too yet more. Some will not and never will accept men in skirts but what's different when humans are involved. If men still choose to dress in secret that is their choice.

I will add one proviso that I think is very important from my experience and that success does depend very much on the man himself in both persona and clothing choice.
Be yourself because an original is worth more than a copy.
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

TheSkirtedMan wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 5:03 pm
Barleymower wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 6:35 pm Results so far:
ScottL -1
Sinned - York - 1
Moonshadow - 1
John62 - Melbourne Australia, 2 kilts and 1 skirt last year, over the last 10 years or so
Barleymower - 1 (me) and two kilts. At Brighton Pride I must have seen 30 but it was Pride so doesn't count.

It paints the picture I was expecting to see. That is, not a lot of men in skirts, practically none. When compared the skirts and dresses I see on women and girls, honestly - I'm monumentally hacked off. What kind of a world do we live where people are forced to dress as they want to in secret? Is there nothin we can do as a group about the injustice? excepting Crfriend contribution to CNN - WOW.

Btw Chirp, it sounds great where you live. I would like to visit!

Fiji skirted cops. Cool!
Don't get hacked off.

I am the only one in my area but then we are rural with more sheep per square mile than people! Although in our nearest town I have seen a man in a utilikilt a few times but never to speak too but my routine changed and not since. Have seen the odd man in a skirt on my travels here in the UK, ignoring the Scottish Kilt, at distances, but quite honestly visual sightings are quite rare.

Yes it is sad some, even many, men dress in secret, a few who meet me openly say so, admiring my confidence. What can we do, well quite simply the men who do go out publicly in skirts be it society female labelled or even under the many other labels like Sarong, Utilikilt and Kilt to name but three continue to do so. Perhaps public nationwide or local group meets within this forum then a group of men in skirts is seen, not as society believes just one or a few.

Let the trickle become a stream, river then ocean. I do wear my society still labelled female clothing as a man in all aspects of my life, locally and nationwide, even in Europe, not a regular international globetrotter. I meet no resistance, odd stare, pointing, rare giggle, don't others in many aspects of life, but I do get loads of compliments.

Let our public actions do the talking and promoting. Yes take opportunity via media, I have been part of independent media promotion and asked by a magazine to make reference to me, and been on BBC Radio York four times.

The biggest area I have for promoting men in skirts is in reality and have made dozens of friends and acquaintances since going public. No issue volunteering at a Historic Hall or doing digital presentations for them at clubs and societies. With the latter no one ever makes reference to what I have on and at the Hall quite often positive talk on the subject from visitors - skirts not the Hall!

It took decades for women to have no restriction on clothing expectations in work, leisure. They too had negativity in the early 1900's from both men and women. Even pre 1990's I know from experience clothing expectations were still placed upon women. Its just the same for men. That's how society works, society never learns not even when it gives for one but ignores for another.

The time may come for men but we continue to lay the seeds. Society is obsessed with masculinity by both men and women and clothing is one of the emblems, the flag. That will not change readily but it didn't for women either in clothing. From my experience in reality, many do accept men in skirts, both men and women and we need to show that too yet more. Some will not and never will accept men in skirts but what's different when humans are involved. If men still choose to dress in secret that is their choice.

I will add one proviso that I think is very important from my experience and that success does depend very much on the man himself in both persona and clothing choice.
If you organise a meet up I'll go. London is cool with men in skirts, so why not meet there. We could have a men in skirts dinner followed by.. I don't know.. a pub, Ronnie Scott's, theatre. Whatever. Be seen as a group. If I go would rather it was men in skirts not full on transformation. That's another party. I would wear a nice skirt of my choice with a shirt and v-neck. Leather shoes.
Myopic Bookworm
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Myopic Bookworm »

Barleymower wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 6:22 pm If you organise a meet up I'll go. London is cool with men in skirts, so why not meet there. We could have a men in skirts dinner followed by.. I don't know.. a pub, Ronnie Scott's, theatre. Whatever. Be seen as a group. If I go would rather it was men in skirts not full on transformation. That's another party. I would wear a nice skirt of my choice with a shirt and v-neck. Leather shoes.
If this is at all practical, then how about moving a discussion to the Get-Together thread? I don't often get to London, but I might be able to manage it for an afternoon or early evening date.
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

Myopic Bookworm wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 10:22 am
Barleymower wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 6:22 pm If you organise a meet up I'll go. London is cool with men in skirts, so why not meet there. We could have a men in skirts dinner followed by.. I don't know.. a pub, Ronnie Scott's, theatre. Whatever. Be seen as a group. If I go would rather it was men in skirts not full on transformation. That's another party. I would wear a nice skirt of my choice with a shirt and v-neck. Leather shoes.
If this is at all practical, then how about moving a discussion to the Get-Together thread? I don't often get to London, but I might be able to manage it for an afternoon or early evening date.
Yes go for it. I think a meet up would be a good idea. Perhaps longstanding members are thinking 'good luck' or 'never again'.
I think it would a chance for shy members to give it a go.
TheSkirtedMan
Member Extraordinaire

Post by TheSkirtedMan »

No organisation by me. Been there in other aspects and then the conditions start. Just two ideas floated in answer to part of the original post which was, what can we do.

For me I'm quite happy in my world, accepted by friends, acquaintances and even organisations. I hope statements I make on my experience as a man in a skirt, along side others, encourages men who have doubts. The small minority who question me are not in my life and quite honestly will have negative sentiment on others and quite possibly of me even if I was in expected society men's wear. Therefore irrelevant. One cannot accommodate the whole world as we are all different.

I just accept that men like us are and will always be a public rarity. If other men like us still have doubts going public after the many positive reports on this forum, even off this forum from reports elsewhere, I really do not know what else can be done. I doubt very much they would come to a meet. Contact is possible within this forum for help, guidance even face to face.

In my direct experience people who meet me accept me as a man who wears society labelled female clothes as a man, an individual, true to himself. Most often add, don't women. From my experience small negativity is no more, perhaps less, than others get for looking or being different to the perceived "norm". My life in a skirt is full, active and no spare time, as it is for many and can be for the men who have doubts. In the meantime I am a proud to be a member of a publicly active group of a select, rare individuals, true to themselves.
Be yourself because an original is worth more than a copy.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

TheSkirtedMan wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 4:12 pmMy life in a skirt is full, active and no spare time, as it is for many and can be for the men who have doubts. In the meantime I am a proud to be a member of a publicly active group of a select, rare individuals, true to themselves.
Right here TSM nails the matter soundly to the front door of what passes for "modern masculinity" much the same way that Martin Luther nailed his on the front door of the Papacy.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
familyman34
Distinguished Member

Post by familyman34 »

I have reported to SC on most of the occasions when I have seen an MIS:
one in Lowestoft and one in Gorleston in 2019,
one in the Anglia Square region of Norwich in both 2021 and 2022 (the same person each time),
one (that I didn't report at the time), seen from the top deck of a bus travelling along Queen's Road, Norwich in 2020.

And I've also seen two MIDs (men in dresses), one probably a student, in Norwich, and the other in Beccles.
The Beccles one was dressed in full female mode, but was clearly male; over the years there may well have been others likewise in full female mode but who I did not detect as male.

And I seem to remember seeing a member of sales staff some years ago in one of the Norwich department stores (probably Marks and Spencer or John Lewis) wearing the shop's smart corporate uniform with a skirt; he stood out because he was so much taller than the other staff!

So that makes six MIS, including myself, and two MID in four years.
Familyman34
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

familyman34 wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 11:47 am I have reported to SC on most of the occasions when I have seen an MIS:
one in Lowestoft and one in Gorleston in 2019,
one in the Anglia Square region of Norwich in both 2021 and 2022 (the same person each time),
one (that I didn't report at the time), seen from the top deck of a bus travelling along Queen's Road, Norwich in 2020.

And I've also seen two MIDs (men in dresses), one probably a student, in Norwich, and the other in Beccles.
The Beccles one was dressed in full female mode, but was clearly male; over the years there may well have been others likewise in full female mode but who I did not detect as male.

And I seem to remember seeing a member of sales staff some years ago in one of the Norwich department stores (probably Marks and Spencer or John Lewis) wearing the shop's smart corporate uniform with a skirt; he stood out because he was so much taller than the other staff!

So that makes six MIS, including myself, and two MID in four years.
Updated results

ScottL -1
Sinned - York - 1
Moonshadow - 1
Familyman34 - 5 East Anglia (Norwich, Lowestoft, Gorleston, Beccles) practically the capital of well dressed men. Not so sure about the full female mode.. anything to boost numbers :)
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

Okay,I have a few.

1999 - guy in a skirt, sheer tights, heels at the 1999 Clothes Show, NEC, Birmingham. I was in a grey kilt at the time - bought at the show.

1999 - Grand Hotel, Brighton. Corporate function. One of the serving staff was a slim young guy in skirt, womens’s top, sheer tights, heels. Mildly androgynous - but identifiably male.

2018 - guy serving at a bar, Brighton. Black polo shirt, black skirt, black opaque tights. Nobody batted an eyelid.

2019 - Birmingham. Early 50s, black T-shirt and jacket, black skirt, black sheer tights, walls nonchalantly from Great Western Arcade towards Snow Hill train station.

2022 - Hexham, Northumberland. Older man in skirt, black opaque tights, flat shoes. Again, no overt reactions.
JayB

Post by JayB »

I live in a town of about 40,000 in the South Central U.S. I have NEVER seen a man in a skirt in our town.
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

It's not a MORI poll but a patten is developing. Men dressing the way they chose rather than dressing in clothes chosen for them is scattered far and wide.

Where there is a high level of acceptance more do it. Conversely where there is resistance and bigotry numbers and low to zero.

Keep them coming
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

About what I expected, Barleymower. In terms of change we are at a very early phase.
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

Barleymower wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 8:17 am It's not a MORI poll but a patten is developing. Men dressing the way they chose rather than dressing in clothes chosen for them is scattered far and wide.

Where there is a high level of acceptance more do it. Conversely where there is resistance and bigotry numbers and low to zero.

Keep them coming
Be careful putting too much value on a poll sent only to members of a cafe dedicated to men wearing skirts. From a scientific perspective, this poll cannot state where high levels of acceptance are because it is a voluntary solicitation of biased individuals.
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

:salut: