Men in skirts around the world - Straw Poll

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
BFTights

Re: Men in skirts around the world - Straw Poll

Post by BFTights »

Ive not seen any other men wearing skirts where I live. I have seen a couple of fully crossdressed guys presenting as female but no another me! :( It would be a confidence boost to see others.
new2skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by new2skirts »

We're thinly spread, but out there! Most who are "out in the wild" are on other platforms like Instagram or Reddit. Saw one guy walking down Farringdon Road in a pencil skirt a few days back. He looked confident enough. Seen one student in a denim skirt in a Uni in London. Other skirted guys are mostly in kilts... :roll:
Formerly Kilty / Joe Public etc...
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

BFTights wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 7:30 pm Ive not seen any other men wearing skirts where I live. I have seen a couple of fully crossdressed guys presenting as female but no another me! :( It would be a confidence boost to see others.
We are out there. I have a lot of skirts and no kilts (one tarten skirt through). You might see me out and about in Devon when I visit my Dad and wherever else I go.
Jetblasted

Post by Jetblasted »

I’ve been wearing skirts for nine years, but I don’t do it publicly. I’m about a half hour outside of Atlanta, and I wouldn’t dare wear one here. I doubt that there’s anyone that wears one publicly anywhere near here, either.

If I would ever make it back to the big city, I would be comfortable in my old haunts wearing my kilt-skirt, but not around here. Even as conservative as I am in this conservative small town, I take a hard pass at bucking the local norms. It’s just not worth it to me.

I do wear my adventure kilt in my yard when working outdoors, but I have enough land where I’m barely visible from the road.
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

Jetblasted wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 3:35 pm I’ve been wearing skirts for nine years, but I don’t do it publicly. I’m about a half hour outside of Atlanta, and I wouldn’t dare wear one here. I doubt that there’s anyone that wears one publicly anywhere near here, either.

If I would ever make it back to the big city, I would be comfortable in my old haunts wearing my kilt-skirt, but not around here. Even as conservative as I am in this conservative small town, I take a hard pass at bucking the local norms. It’s just not worth it to me.

I do wear my adventure kilt in my yard when working outdoors, but I have enough land where I’m barely visible from the road.
I live in Berkshire UK and no men wears skirts outdoors here either. I do and I've taken some flak for it. The more I do it the easier it gets.
I live in a big town with 350k people, I think I would be more cautious if I lived in a small town/village. I think I would still do it and test the waters. A mix of trousers and skirts. If there was a lot of resistance I would stop and let things settle and do it again. I might have to consider stopping altogether if the pressure was too great or move town.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Barleymower wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 11:50 pm[...] I think I would be more cautious if I lived in a small town/village.
For context, I live in a little hamlet of less that 5,000 people in central Massachusetts in the New England region of the USA. I have never had an entirely hostile reaction that could not be trivially neutralised. The only really adverse ones I've had have been in a rather "downmarket" town to my north where several friends live, and a couple of those have caused reactions from me. (The usual reactions to those by my friends are along the lines of, "This is Leominster! What do you expect?"

On the topic of "Massachusetts". the best way to put it is that much of it is stuck firmly in the 17th Century. It's got a Puritanical streak in it a mile wide, but that does not keep me from being entirely accepted here in my recent;y-adopted "home town", and I'll happily take that.

Villages have their charms, because it eventually becomes possible to recognise everyone in the little place -- which is utterly impossible in The Big City.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Skirt18220

Post by Skirt18220 »

I live n small town Ontario, Canada. 13,000 occupants in the town maybe the same number in the area around the town. I have not seen any other men in skirts.
Dancyd

Post by Dancyd »

I live in Ithaca, NY and wear skirts basically whenever I used to wear shorts, and I've never had a negative comment. Contrary to what everyone is saying, I see skirted men almost every week, not counting contra dancing. If you really want to experience male skirt-wearing, go contra dancing. An average dance has 5-10% of the men wearing skirts.
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

Dancyd wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 12:11 am I live in Ithaca, NY and wear skirts basically whenever I used to wear shorts, and I've never had a negative comment. Contrary to what everyone is saying, I see skirted men almost every week, not counting contra dancing. If you really want to experience male skirt-wearing, go contra dancing. An average dance has 5-10% of the men wearing skirts.
Wow that's great hear. Despite lots of doubts it's a growing thing. Good on you! I've spent the day building a new kitchen in the UK in a skirt of course and I'm up to Peterborough next week to meet another skirt fan.
There isn't much Contra Dancing near me bur sounds fun. Keep to the good work.
Last edited by Barleymower on Sun Mar 12, 2023 6:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
JeffB1959
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JeffB1959 »

Here in Philadelphia, I am a fashion show of one as I’ve yet to see another male in a skirt. For the most part, I’ve been treated well while out and about, but, I’m judicious about where I go, mainly the downtown area and local malls where I’m able to blend in with my surroundings.
I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman.
Chris Schumann

Post by Chris Schumann »

I live in the southwest of Germany (called Baden-Württemberg), about 60 miles northeast of Stuttgart.
It's a small village with just 400 citizens, and the whole town consists of 4 villages with barely more than 2000 citizens.
So many people know each other... - that was not easy the first time!

I started with going out dressed up only outside a 25-mile-Homezone, and from time to time i reduced it more and more.
Actually, only the villages belonging to our town are somehow not entered yet. Mostly, because of my family who is not happy with my "fetish".

But i am actually working on that, and many people and even friends from the village already know. Thanks to Instagram :P
And the best: Everyone who came up to me, when he/she saw that, he/she was happy with what they have seen!
No negative comments so far...

In the surrounding area, there are more men who are wearing heels and/or skirts. And we more or less meet up regularly.
I have to travel therefor from 20 miles up to sometimes 250 miles... - or in some special cases even more...
But it's fun, to have a group of friends with the same fashion tick :D

And maybe i will have to invite them into my hometown to show: "I am not alone - we are many - many more!!" 8)
It's harder to shatter a preconception than an atom (Albert Einstein)