Question

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Question

Post by Jim »

mishawakaskirt wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 3:03 pm Off hand I can't think of any other objects that have a different name based on which sex is using it.
My wife calls her shirts "blouses". If I wear the same item, it's a shirt.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

ScotL wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 12:30 am I am little confused. Do you mean you’re happy that most men don’t wear skirts cause that means you’re the unique one?
I know if skirts become normalized for men, unique people will become even more unique. To the eclectic, there is no limits to expression of one’s style
I just don't care what other men wear, they can wear whatever they like ............ and I expect the same acceptance to what I choose to wear.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Jim wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 2:29 amMy wife calls her shirts "blouses". If I wear the same item, it's a shirt.
This is likely down to habit and familiarity. Blouses exist for both men and women, each cut a little bit differently in the chest area. The giveaway is that a man's blouse has an even hem whereas a man's shirt has tails. I would imagine the same holds true for women as well, but the old usage of "blouse" for "shirt" may be overriding the matter.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

Jim wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 2:29 am
mishawakaskirt wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 3:03 pm Off hand I can't think of any other objects that have a different name based on which sex is using it.
My wife calls her shirts "blouses". If I wear the same item, it's a shirt.
Found this on the internet for blouses.

“While a shirt is generally gender-neutral, a blouse is seen more as a feminine garment. Technically, either can be gender- neutral. A shirt technically must be a fully buttoned opening, and can be with or without a collar, while a blouse will never feature a full vertical button up opening.”

If you asked me to wear a blouse, my initial thought is no. Give me the same thing and call it a shirt, ok. Stupid, but powerful semantics.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

ScotL wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 5:03 pmFound this on the internet for blouses.

“While a shirt is generally gender-neutral, a blouse is seen more as a feminine garment. Technically, either can be gender- neutral. A shirt technically must be a fully buttoned opening, and can be with or without a collar, while a blouse will never feature a full vertical button up opening.”
Contemplate the polo shirt -- which is typically a pullover design with a fairly vestigial buttoned area.

It's the hem. Polo-style shirts are typically straight-hemmed, and thus count as blouses. So do "Hawaiian shirts". Men's dress shirts, no, although there are some things that look like dress shirts with straight hems that are designed to be worn untucked (producing a rather sloppy look, in my opinion).
If you asked me to wear a blouse, my initial thought is no. Give me the same thing and call it a shirt, ok. Stupid, but powerful semantics.
What you pick for attire is entirely up to you. I have a mix of mens/women's shirts and men's/women's blouses and all get about equal air-time.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
FLbreezy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by FLbreezy »

Coder wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 7:29 pm
FLbreezy wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 7:22 pm
Coder wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 6:46 pm Tove Wear made a kilt version of their Maker Skirt tis past year but it's no longer on their website. Besides the expense, either they didn't sell well of they are between batches.
Damn, I'd wear either the kilt or the skirt version of that in a heartbeat...too bad they're so expensive. That'd be great for days like today when I'm doing home renovations and need extra pockets.
I’ll confess: I bought one of their skirts when they were having a sale. I’ve been wearing it while I’m working on my stairs/floor, but the pockets are a bit too tight for my liking - or maybe they will loosen up if I just use them. The side loop is perfect for a tape measure. I’ve also worn it out to work one time, but that was in the dead of winter so I wore jeggings underneath.
OK, so I got on their mailing list and sure enough they had a nice sale last week so I ordered one of the skirts in denim. Holy cow, I really like it! I had to refresh my memory on how to tie a wrap skirt but once I got that figured out it fits great. I won't think twice about wearing this doing my home renovations now, the pockets are great and I like the side loop. The length is good, it's hitting me a few inches above the knee.

Thanks for the tip!
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

Hey FLbreezy, that’s awesome! From the looks, they don’t seem to be a wrap skirt but this newbie doesn’t really know what this means. Does it go on like a kilt? With that side opening you pull something through? Hope you post a review on how it is to work in. I got a UK utility kilt to work around the yard in but it hasn’t come yet. But it has like a built in tool belt.
FLbreezy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by FLbreezy »

ScotL wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 12:07 pm Hey FLbreezy, that’s awesome! From the looks, they don’t seem to be a wrap skirt but this newbie doesn’t really know what this means. Does it go on like a kilt? With that side opening you pull something through? Hope you post a review on how it is to work in. I got a UK utility kilt to work around the yard in but it hasn’t come yet. But it has like a built in tool belt.
It's very literally a wrap skirt, kind of like a kilt but not quite. There is a section of fabric with a tie on each end. You have to thread a tie through a hole in the waist and bring it around and knot it off to the other tie. This video explains it better than I can: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Lwzr_Lx6EI

Mine ties closer to the front than the side like on their website. Not sure if that means if I sized it too big or too small. I've lost some weight recently and still getting used to how things fit. The nice thing about a wrap skirt is it will cover a range of sizes because the extra fabric just overlaps.

This is the one I got: https://tovewear.com/shop/skirt-short-light

I'll post a photo and review after I've had a chance to wear it a few times.

Edit: I'm finding the mechanics of the wrap tie to be a bit fussy while doing stuff, maybe I'm just not used to it and not doing it right but where the two ends of the skirt overlap doesn't want to stay even around my waist.