My look - I hope it looks normal

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
ScotL
Chatbot

Re: My look - I hope it looks normal

Post by ScotL »

Barleymower wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 10:29 pm
ScotL wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 12:10 pm I think that looks awesome! Glad you have a petit critiquer to assist you. We all should be so lucky. I think the combo works perfectly. All of it
She had a sad on today. Friend trouble at school. She was supported by her 'freinds' but those friends left the room with the girl that was being mean to her.
She feels she will always be the one left on her own.
I said that may well be true and you may have to learn to cope with that. You do have a strong friend group outside of them though? She agreed. I said you are very lucky though. So many would who would gladly swap with a pretty girl like you, problems included. I said I would have signed on the line at thirteen. I was so sad being me. Not anymore. You do understand! she said. Makes it all worth it. :D
Kids are mean and when you’re young, they’re your world. Their words and actions cut deep. You want to show them this too will pass and the one holding the moral high ground will be honored. But that doesn’t help with the now. They really just need their parents to listen, love and hug them. Good luck, glad you’re there for her
e2k2houck

Post by e2k2houck »

It looks great and besides who wants to be normal be yourself and shine
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

JeffB1959 wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 9:37 am "Normal" means vastly different things to vast numbers of people. I think you look good. Wear what you like and take pride in your appearance.
Thanks, skirt wearing has done me a power of good. Not just for the pure pleasure of wearing a great skirt but I take much more pride in my appearance. I iron my clothes now. I shave, clean my shoes. I'm losing weight and I'm making an effort to stand straight. Can't be bad.
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

Barleymower wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 9:22 pm
JeffB1959 wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 9:37 am "Normal" means vastly different things to vast numbers of people. I think you look good. Wear what you like and take pride in your appearance.
Thanks, skirt wearing has done me a power of good. Not just for the pure pleasure of wearing a great skirt but I take much more pride in my appearance. I iron my clothes now. I shave, clean my shoes. I'm losing weight and I'm making an effort to stand straight. Can't be bad.
And I’ll add, you’re being true to yourself.
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

https://12ft.io/proxy?q=https%3A%2F%2Fw ... r-AA13lD7U

Samuel Sim said in the article "It’s beyond annoying that cis-heterosexual men can experiment with gender and it’s celebrated".
He also says in the article "in five years time – perhaps even less, I will be able to walk down the street in the small Northern city I live in, wearing something gender-fluid and feel safe doing it."

My wife talked to her oldest friend about my skirt wearing yesterday. She was really excited about it and thought I looked great.

Day by day my confidence grows. I think the day when I can pick my son up from school dressed in my own prefered clothes and not feel awkward is not far away.

Tomorrow we will have another walk and this time I'll be in my own clothes, wind or no wind.
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

Barleymower wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 9:28 pm
Samuel Sim said in the article "It’s beyond annoying that cis-heterosexual men can experiment with gender and it’s celebrated".
I find these statements so awkward to comprehend. Shouldn’t we all just be happy that anyone regardless of sexual orientation or gender is able to dress as they please?
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

ScotL wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 10:19 am
I find these statements so awkward to comprehend. Shouldn’t we all just be happy that anyone regardless of sexual orientation or gender is able to dress as they please?
Yes we should - but some groups of people feel aggrieved due to historically bad treatment (some of which persists to this day). We should try to move on from those thoughts and live life without regret, forgive past grievances, and make the best of what we can. Easy for me to say as I tick all the "normal" boxes except skirt wearing, but people in society won't get out of the rut we are all in if we can't forget the past and move on. Or perhaps another way to look at it is "forgive others and move on".
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

I think the point he is making is it takes cis-heto men to normalise something the lgb community has been trying to normalise for years. The very people who have persecuted the lgb group.
My own view is the writer is wrong. It is widely recognised that men are handcuffed and victims of the patriarchal system by the expectations pressed upon then and the confirmities they have to adhere too.
The plight of men might be widely recognised but nothing (much) is being done. Society is far to preoccupied.
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

Coder wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 1:00 pm
Yes we should - but some groups of people feel aggrieved due to historically bad treatment (some of which persists to this day). We should try to move on from those thoughts and live life without regret, forgive past grievances, and make the best of what we can. Easy for me to say as I tick all the "normal" boxes except skirt wearing, but people in society won't get out of the rut we are all in if we can't forget the past and move on. Or perhaps another way to look at it is "forgive others and move on".
Right there with you in ticking the “normal” boxes except for the skirts. I get that persecuted folks are pissed and rightfully so. They have every right to be so. The question is how does it get better? Not just the persecution. How do you heal from years of persecution? We all need to or we are damned to allow the persecutors to continue to persecute long after they’re gone
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

Barleymower wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 7:59 pm

I think the point he is making is it takes cis-heto men to normalise something the lgb community has been trying to normalise for years. The very people who have persecuted the lgb group.
My own view is the writer is wrong. It is widely recognised that men are handcuffed and victims of the patriarchal system by the expectations pressed upon then and the confirmities they have to adhere too.
The plight of men might be widely recognised but nothing (much) is being done. Society is far to preoccupied.
I get the concern and suggestion but when did cis-hetero men normalize skirt wearing on men? I missed that memo
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

ScotL wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 9:08 pmI get the concern and suggestion but when did cis-hetero men normalize skirt wearing on men? I missed that memo.
They haven't, and that's because the whole "scene" has been saturated by the trans-* segment which is, put charitably, a tiny segment of the population which is dominated by cisgender heteronormative males who tend to get put off by the extra baggage that "signing on" seems to entail. That's been why I've been maintaining for years now that the groups' ends are polarising. The trans-* crowd seems to view skirts as a signifier of their "femininity" (whatever that may be now) and the straight guys shy away from the signifying status of what amounts to a pile of fabric once it's tossed on the floor (or better, in the hamper [1]) at the end of the day. These are entirely different drivers, and need to be viewed as such.

Until the "straight" guys stand up and revolt on the matter things will remain at the status quo. And if it keeps up much longer I might just say, "The heck with this!" and chuck the whole notion.

Note that I am not slagging off on the trans-* folks -- far from it. I'm having a direct go at, and an outright challenge to, everybody else.

[1] Yes, I have a clothes hamper in my bedroom. It's where the dirty laundry goes. Worse -- as a bachelor -- I also sort darks from lights and wash delicates in a separate wash cycle from the others. Does stuff occasionally wind up on the floor? Yes, but only if there is extreme haste involved in disrobing.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

crfriend wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 9:51 pm
ScotL wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 9:08 pmI get the concern and suggestion but when did cis-hetero men normalize skirt wearing on men? I missed that memo.
They haven't, and that's because the whole "scene" has been saturated by the trans-* segment which is, put charitably, a tiny segment of the population which is dominated by cisgender heteronormative males who tend to get put off by the extra baggage that "signing on" seems to entail. That's been why I've been maintaining for years now that the groups' ends are polarising. The trans-* crowd seems to view skirts as a signifier of their "femininity" (whatever that may be now) and the straight guys shy away from the signifying status of what amounts to a pile of fabric once it's tossed on the floor (or better, in the hamper [1]) at the end of the day. These are entirely different drivers, and need to be viewed as such.

Until the "straight" guys stand up and revolt on the matter things will remain at the status quo. And if it keeps up much longer I might just say, "The heck with this!" and chuck the whole notion.

Note that I am not slagging off on the trans-* folks -- far from it. I'm having a direct go at, and an outright challenge to, everybody else.

[1] Yes, I have a clothes hamper in my bedroom. It's where the dirty laundry goes. Worse -- as a bachelor -- I also sort darks from lights and wash delicates in a separate wash cycle from the others. Does stuff occasionally wind up on the floor? Yes, but only if there is extreme haste involved in disrobing.
In my opinion, I don’t see the scene being dominated by trans individuals. I see the trans movement and men wearing skirts as different movements. Trans strive to be the other gender. We want to stay the same gender but wear an article of clothing. The first is major life event. Me wearing a skirt is nothing compared to what they are going through. Doesn’t even compare when I come to think about it
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Barleymower wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 9:28 pm Day by day my confidence grows. I think the day when I can pick my son up from school dressed in my own prefered clothes and not feel awkward is not far away.
The plight of men might be widely recognised but nothing (much) is being done.
crfriend wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 9:51 pm Until the "straight" guys stand up and revolt on the matter things will remain at the status quo. .
BM,
Every time that a guy goes out on his daily routine skirted or dressed to his preference, he is paving the way for the next guy who wishes to follow in his wake. When you are able to do that at your son's school, that message goes double.
The kids, teachers and other parents will see that it doesn't matter about clothes, just the person inhabiting them.
That's your part in relieving the "plight" and in this manner we may just break the damn status quo once and for all.
What we never know is that there may be more guys around us who feel the same way than we actually realise.
How does it feel to be part of a revolution? Man, I just love it more day by day by day!
Carl, I hope this "revolting" reply lends some fresh vim and vigour toward our freer futures.
I certainly won't back down any time soon that is for sure.
Steve.
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

crfriend wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 9:51 pm That's been why I've been maintaining for years now that the groups' ends are polarising. The trans-* crowd seems to view skirts as a signifier of their "femininity" (whatever that may be now) and the straight guys shy away from the signifying status of what amounts to a pile of fabric once it's tossed on the floor (or better, in the hamper [1]) at the end of the day. These are entirely different drivers, and need to be viewed as such.

Carl I cannot define straight or trans-*. When I look inward I can'not see what drives me. I see a whirlpool of different drivers. Because definitions elude me, I'm left searching in dark for some kind of meaning. All I can say is I feel a strong masculine and a strong feminine presence. My dress is an expression of that. I love the feel, colour and comfort of skirts. I also want men to know how great it is to have these lovely clothes in their lives. The world would be a happier place if they did.

When I stand next to bunch of guys (none of which know about my skirt wearing) and I'm NOT attracted to any of them, never have been. I'm straight. That much I know.

I want to stand with the straight men and revolt, if they will have me.

STEVIE wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 4:52 am BM,
Every time that a guy goes out on his daily routine skirted or dressed to his preference, he is paving the way for the next guy who wishes to follow in his wake. When you are able to do that at your son's school, that message goes double.
The kids, teachers and other parents will see that it doesn't matter about clothes, just the person inhabiting them.
That's your part in relieving the "plight" and in this manner we may just break the damn status quo once and for all.
What we never know is that there may be more guys around us who feel the same way than we actually realise.
How does it feel to be part of a revolution? Man, I just love it more day by day by day!
Carl, I hope this "revolting" reply lends some fresh vim and vigour toward our freer futures.
I certainly won't back down any time soon that is for sure.
Steve.
Steve, I hear you but I find it so hard to do. We can do it, its fine but it often feels like a friendless, lonely place. I do it for my daughter as much as myself. BTW she would probably say "don't do it on my behalf, do it for yourself and I'll stand alongside you".
howardfh
Member Extraordinaire

Post by howardfh »

I think the look is great!