Plus size skirts

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
skirted84
Distinguished Member

Plus size skirts

Post by skirted84 »

What stores have UK based members found most fruitful for stocking skirts in larger sizes and decent style? As the equivalent of a ladies size 18 (waist anyway but thats the key) I often traipse round stores only to find the few skirts on the rails stop at maybe 14. Shops geared to the more fashion conscious young women are more likely to stop at smaller sizes (eg. Quiz/New Look) and it helps to know where you have a sporting chance of finding the rarer sizes. I'm talking in shops themselves, not web only or even larger sizes online only.

Yours is by far the best for me and very welcoming too.
M&S and maybe Next, though pricey.
Primark, occasionally have luck but hit and miss.
H&M may have plus sizes online but rarely in store.
Theres also Bonmarche but don't like their styles -frumpy and drab.
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Plus size skirts

Post by r.m.anderson »

A win-win situation if the store offers it -
Shop the internet and send your order - zero post handling fees - to the store
Get notified your order has arrived - go to store and try it on - OK buy it -
If not let the store handle the return.

It is unlikely that you are going to find + sized skirts in regular stock
except in those like USA Lane Bryant Torrid Catherines and even then a
problem is that store management doesn't have the same idea as you do in
stocking those + sized items.
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

I don't know how extensive their sizing goes - and the styles may be too frumpy - but Seasalt Cornwall has a large size range, and can be bought for cheap on eBay if you know what you want/need.
hillaryskirt

Post by hillaryskirt »

Coder wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 5:21 pm I don't know how extensive their sizing goes - and the styles may be too frumpy - but Seasalt Cornwall has a large size range, and can be bought for cheap on eBay if you know what you want/need.
Loving the word ‘frumpy’ !!

To try and help, I'd just say go to the big stores and even if they don't have it they can order it in. Or they'll have similar size but to the colour / style and you can take it from there.

Incidentally I am waist 36 and reasonably slim and 5ft 10. What skirt/dress size am I - 18?
"The past is never dead. It's not even past." - William Faulkner.
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Big and Bashful »

Try being a size 24 (UK sizes).
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

Beware of Asian sizing - done by the MANUAL METHOD whatever that is and factor a 3 inch - 8 cm difference from posted
The difference can be as much as a 3x Asian fitting a European Medium
A 5X may not even be in the same universe

ALWAYS get the measurements
Elastic waist measurement will be your friend -
Exact fitting presents problems - yeah right on OK -
Although too small (tight) a no go - loose (some room) some room for alteration
How badly do you want to work with ill fitting clothing ?
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
WHY ?
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

Just about all of my skirts have elastic waist bands. The only ones that don't are my denim skirts and they have belt loops. It gives you some room as to which size to buy. It also allows room for expansion or decrease in the size of your waist.
Always carry a dress makers ruler tape with you when shopping in the stores and shops. That way you can determine if the skirt will fit no matter what size the tag says.
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

A 36" waist should, in theory, be a size 16 but the vagaries of the sizing systems mean that that should be a median, not a definitive. Evans was a plus size shop but is online only now.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
SkaterSkirtWearer

Post by SkaterSkirtWearer »

Sizing is ridiculously confusing, I am a large at H&M, a 16 in George (ASDA), a 18 or 20 on ASOS and a 20 in Primark. I also have a 36 inch waist (bone structure not fat) so it can be difficult for me to find skirts that fit but know luckily what works for me and what doesn’t.
6ft3Aussie
Member Extraordinaire

Post by 6ft3Aussie »

Sizing is something I haver not fully figured and I doubt I will in a hurry.

My size is in between a 36 and a 38, and that depends on the manufacturer to some degree.
Recently I bought a size 16 denim skirt, which fits me well, falls to about 3" above the knee.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

I have skirts ranging in size, according to the label on each, from 10 to 20 and they all mostly fit with varying degrees of success. Admittedly the smaller sized ones have elasticated waists and hence are more forgiving. I measure the waist to alleviate any misconceptions so take a tape measure with you or ask for waist measurement if ordering online.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

I agree with Sinned, sizing is so elastic it is a joke. I have things from a Petite 8 to a 20 and XL -- and most fit fairly well. A tape measure can be useful but just grab the the thing on both sides and hold it around your belly -- if it makes it mid way on each side it likely is gonna fit -- given the belly usually bulges more than the back!

This tactic doesn't work online of course-- which is just one more reason to frequent the thrift shops as they offer choice, easy, cheap, and rapidly changing options as you don't have to wait for the ''next season's" stock to appear. I do encourage use of the changing rooms and mirrors -- it is surprising the things you miss when entranced at the rack, but find in the mirror. Especially in Thrift shops, but new items too -- be on the lookout for flaws in buttons, zippers, hem threads, wear spots/stains -- it is shocking how may flaws can hide on first glance.
rode_kater
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rode_kater »

AIUI one of the reasons sizing of women's clothing is a bit weird, especially with bottom halves, is that a garment size implies a certain hip size. But garments, especially when not made of stretchy material, need to make assumptions about the waist size. The difference between waist/hip varies enormously, and depending on the type of skirt it can hang on different parts of hip-to-waist, which is what determines the opening size.

For men the waist/hip ratio doesn't vary anywhere near as much and there aren't as many places where a skirt can hang. End result is you can't really determine if something will fit just by looking at the garment size. If you're a women with an unusual waist/hip ratio you'd have much the same problems as we do.

Elastic waistbands are much more flexible and also relatively common given the above. Also, dresses are much easier because they don't need to hang on the waist so the sizing is much less important.
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

In any event the waist must be smaller than the hips for the garment to NOT be London britches (skirts) falling down (off).
True the hour glass dimensions of the female in the hips are usually greater than the male some 4-10 inches.
Therefore the elastic waist is the preferred method as opposed to a fixed (zipper) waist closing.
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
WHY ?