Skorts

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
47kimberlee

Skorts

Post by 47kimberlee »

I play Pickleball 3 times a week. I have been wearing Womens exercise shorts with 3 inch inseam, with built in compression shorts, the top material has a slit so you can see the compression shorts underneath. I wear every color imaginable, I am sure the women know I am wearing Womens shorts, some even have worn similar shorts to mine and the make remarks like” cute short” or
“ both of us have the cutest shorts” when we’re playing on the same team. I have started to wear “flowy shorts”, a new short that has silky fabric that makes it look like a skirt, I am older and try and play with only the women, one of which has told me I should wear a skort to play. I would love to but don’t have the nerve.

Has anyone seen these flowy shorts, real cool, put in flowy shorts on google and check it out
Stu
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Skorts

Post by Stu »

I had never heard of pickleball - I had to look it up.

I have played netball, though, until I was injured! Netball is now played in America:

https://netballamerica.com/about/what-is-netball/

Regarding skorts, why the fear? They are available as unisex garments - for girls and boys - when sold for children in Europe:

https://www.amazon.de/adidas-Unisex-Kin ... FV2ZR?th=1

Not so much for adults, though, unfortunately.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

47kimberlee wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 5:48 pm one of which has told me I should wear a skort to play. I would love to but don’t have the nerve.
Certainly don't do anything that is uncomfortable for you or that might jeopardize the relationship you've cultivated with this group (I mean, some people can be overly stuffy), but if you were to start, start simple+plain - so a skort with a flat panel and no/limited pleats. Or, if you wear skirts outside of this event, wear a wrap skirt/"kilt" over your shorts to the gym - that may elicit others to encourage you to wear a skort.
FLbreezy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by FLbreezy »

47kimberlee wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 5:48 pm Has anyone seen these flowy shorts, real cool, put in flowy shorts on google and check it out
There's not that much (cosmetic) difference between that and a skort, I'd go ahead and wear one...especially if this friend is encouraging you and has already brought it up.
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

47kimberlee wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 5:48 pm I play Pickleball 3 times a week. I have been wearing Womens exercise shorts with 3 inch inseam, with built in compression shorts, the top material has a slit so you can see the compression shorts underneath. I wear every color imaginable, I am sure the women know I am wearing Womens shorts, some even have worn similar shorts to mine and the make remarks like” cute short” or
“ both of us have the cutest shorts” when we’re playing on the same team. I have started to wear “flowy shorts”, a new short that has silky fabric that makes it look like a skirt, I am older and try and play with only the women, one of which has told me I should wear a skort to play. I would love to but don’t have the nerve.

Has anyone seen these flowy shorts, real cool, put in flowy shorts on google and check it out
You have already broke the ice crust on wearing women's gear -
Having worn shorts in neutral outer colors with contrast undergear -
Move out of the that zone into the next zone -
Kilt like Skorts maybe a better transition rather than the pleated "flowy shorts"
Use some fashion sense in mixing and matching the "flowy shorts" with light colored tops -
Care pushing the (pink) pastels colors - think more along the solid dark colors for starters -
Pushing too much on the light side pastels whites etc. maybe a bit too much on the feminine side

And certainly YMMV with acceptance with those that you play team sports with will dictate your comfort level
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
phathack
Member Extraordinaire

Post by phathack »

I go out on the weekend with a Running club and I always wear a Skort.
I have them in several different styles and a Rainbow of colors.
Skort.jpg
I wear all sorts of sportswear from the Baleaf Brand. Skorts, Shorts, Leggings etc. Nothing out of the Mens side of the label.

https://www.amazon.com/BALEAF-Womens-At ... th=1&psc=1
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Chirp
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Chirp »

I don't own any skorts. I find them too short for me,
But there is a time and place for them. Thats a big part of why they came to be,
No one mess's with a big guy in kilt
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Re: Skorts &c. These are marketed by Houe of Foxy, in the UK. They are 18" to the hem which is demure enough, Left hand side waist button closure and hidden strong zip. I love the deep pleated design which is repeated at the rear, so they swing as you walk. They are described as shorts, but are more like short culottes, or a skort. Love 'em., but they have no pockets, which is a disadvantage.

I've just had two delivered, one bottle green, the other navy.

Tom
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
phathack
Member Extraordinaire

Post by phathack »

Chirp wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 3:02 pm I don't own any skorts. I find them too short for me,
But there is a time and place for them. Thats a big part of why they came to be,
Skorts are available In many different lengths. I see some that are 20' long which would fall below the knee on most people All of them have built-in Bike Style shorts as well.
Some Swim Skirts are sold as Skorts but they have a Bikini shorts and usually no pockets or maybe only one little pocket to hold a Door Key
81keGV9wONL._AC_SY879._SX._UX._SY._UY_.jpg
Last edited by phathack on Sat Sep 24, 2022 2:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

phathack wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 3:45 am
Chirp wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 3:02 pm I don't own any skorts. I find them too short for me,
Skorts are available In many different lengths. I see some that are 20' long which would fall below the knee on most people All of them have built-in Bike Style shorts as well.
Some Swim Skirts are sold as Skorts but they have a Bikini shorts and usually no pockets or maybe only one little pocket to hold a Door Key
JWalking designs are long enough to the knee
e2k2houck

Post by e2k2houck »

I have thought about skorts but would negate the reason for wearing skirts. I find having something under the skirt makes them only marginally more comfortable over shorts or pants then. I do have different skirts for different activities. For every day and hiking/backpacking I wear Lightheart gear skirts. For running I like Purple Rain Adventure skirts. I never wear anything under them unless it's very cold then I wear tights.
FLbreezy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by FLbreezy »

e2k2houck wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 7:50 pm I have thought about skorts but would negate the reason for wearing skirts. I find having something under the skirt makes them only marginally more comfortable over shorts or pants then.
I'm kind of the same way, although I'm slowly coming around to appreciate skorts. I wear Purple Rain skirts quite often, with a cotton slip underneath (think t-shirt material). I did pick up some inexpensive skorts from Sam's Club ("Makers Mark Favorite Soft Skort", not currently in stock but they seem to be a seasonal item) and the inner short is so loose that it might as well be a slip, so they're very comfortable. That got me to branch out a little, so depending on how form-fitting the inner short is they can be pretty convenient because I can skip wearing the slip underneath.

Amazon has had these https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07Z5K9B8W on sale lately (TSLA Wrap style skort with pockets) for around $20 and they're very similar to the shorts I wear for walking/running except the outside shell has a wrap style, sort of kilt-like in front, and a nice short length. (Not all the ones on that page are the wrap style). I like having side pockets and they've been pleasant to wear so far. I haven't put a lot of miles on them yet, but I liked the first pair enough to get a few of the other colors too.