Progress - maybe lack of it

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
FLbreezy
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Progress - maybe lack of it

Post by FLbreezy »

Ray wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 7:32 am A kilt liner
I keep looking for some kind of kilt liner without much luck...any suggestions?
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

FLbreezy wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 12:07 pm
Ray wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 7:32 am A kilt liner
I keep looking for some kind of kilt liner without much luck...any suggestions?
Simply try a SLIP -
OR
maybe you are looking for just something custom for the apron in front then visit a fabric store
and get a swatch of suitable material to sew to the interior of that inner front apron.
Whether ready made as a slip or a custom application there are solutions to this slippery slope ! LOL !
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

r.m.anderson wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 3:31 pmSimply try a SLIP
Indeed, that's what they're called on the big side of the store. They're functional pieces -- like a hammer -- you're not going to have to check your man-card at the door to buy one.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
jamie001
Member Extraordinaire

Post by jamie001 »

I gave up my man card years ago. It was useless!
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

I got my kilt liner from Activskin, a maker of mens’ hosiery. It has served me well. I only use it with my itchy tweed kilt - which is otherwise magnificent!
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

jamie001 wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 9:01 pmI gave up my man card years ago. It was useless!
It shows. The radicals were wrong. To the core wrong.
FLbreezy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by FLbreezy »

Thanks for the suggestions, I've tried a few regular slips and they're not that functional (especially in the Florida heat). I'll check out Activskin.
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

Check the Topic Sewing here at SC
Adding a lining to a skirt
For more ideas
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

Today I took my two boys to Corelreef in Bracknell. They were really excited. My daughter said I look like I'm dressed in 1990's curtains (see picture of my skirt further back in this thread). I said 'what do you know about the nineties?' 🤣. Off we went and of course nobody noticed. At least I wouldn't know because I don't look at other people. I really on spotters and my son's are useless at it. Apparently I managed to get the attention of an entire bus this morning but I digress.
Once in corel reef everyone wss very nice and one bloke said not to use a cubicle because the lock was broken. Apart from.feeling on top of the world in my 1990's curtains I was really glad to be wearing a skirt. It made dressing / undressing much easier.
A little walk to the shops later was more difficult. I bumped into a neighbour (awkward) and felt further awkwardness from some Muslim men.
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

Barleymower wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 10:55 pm Today I took my two boys to Corelreef in Bracknell. They were really excited. My daughter said I look like I'm dressed in 1990's curtains (see picture of my skirt further back in this thread). I said 'what do you know about the nineties?' 🤣. Off we went and of course nobody noticed. At least I wouldn't know because I don't look at other people. I really on spotters and my son's are useless at it. Apparently I managed to get the attention of an entire bus this morning but I digress.
Once in corel reef everyone wss very nice and one bloke said not to use a cubicle because the lock was broken. Apart from.feeling on top of the world in my 1990's curtains I was really glad to be wearing a skirt. It made dressing / undressing much easier.
A little walk to the shops later was more difficult. I bumped into a neighbour (awkward) and felt further awkwardness from some Muslim men.
The entire bus?
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Barleymower wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 10:55 pmI bumped into a neighbour (awkward) and felt further awkwardness from some Muslim men.
These things need to be tackled head-on. The neighbour would likely have been the easier because you can simply state that you're experimenting with a style choice. I'm not sure why the others were hostile, but a similar argument might have been deployed. I know a number of Muslims and not a one of them have any problem with me at all.
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

ScotL wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 11:43 pm The entire bus?
Probably not, most likely not. I don't look around to see who's staring at me. I just laughed at the thought of a bus all turning together in a mutual gasp at the sight of a man in a skirt.

crfriend wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 12:23 am These things need to be tackled head-on. The neighbour would likely have been the easier because you can simply state that you're experimenting with a style choice. I'm not sure why the others were hostile, but a similar argument might have been deployed. I know a number of Muslims and not a one of them have any problem with me at all.
Crfriend my comments were not intended to single out muslim men. I withdraw what I said. I have muslim friends and colleagues and I'm sure they would not have a problem with it either.

You are right these things need to be tackled head on. I know the neighbour quite well, she knows and she's ok. She smiled and said hello as we walked passed each other. The problem lies with me. I come from an era that sees men in skirts as crossdresser's or gay, we are neither. Even though I am overjoyed to air my legs at last I feel the weight of my upbringing and social conditioning bearing down on me. For all those men out there who read this forum and would wear a skirt out if they could, wear one only at home among the family or wait until there is noone around before trying one: I sympathise. This has been very difficult thing to do, even with the support of family and even when people are ok with it. For anyone considering it: if you can do it. It's exciting times!
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

I suppose that my tendency to be rather free in my colour and variety of the clothes I wear comes from my going through the sixties as a teenager. I wore flowered shirts and ties, unusual accessories ( cowbells etc ), brighter colours and a feeling that you could wear anything. Wearing a skirt didn't occur to me at that age although I did enjoy the mini-skirts on the girls. Even as a teenager I wore brighter colours and things that none of the other lads wore because I felt that I could. I've never changed in that respect. Early in my marriage I tried on my wife's dresses and skirts when she was out for the evening and that planted the seed for my skirt wearing. Left to myself I would wear a skirt more often outside the house but wearing as far as wearing a dress it would depend upon getting one that fitted well.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Barleymower wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 10:55 pm Apparently I managed to get the attention of an entire bus this morning but I digress.
Methinks, a tad poetic but yes that image of group rubbernecking is worthy of a comedy sketch but who told you that? If it was your girl, did you not say she was an early teen? That would certainly compute.
Hostility to our choices can come from any area regardless of race, creed, age or any other category of the human race. Equally, so too can support arise from the most unexpected quarters too.
As a Scot, I don't hold much truck with all the "niceties" of kilt wearing and do not possess what is considered as a traditional one. Besides, a kilt is one option only and that just equates with zero choice, not much of an improvement.
Nah, you appear to be doing all the right things just by exploring all the avenues. Just keep checking on what is over the next horizon and enjoy.
Steve.
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

Yes it was my 13 yrar old daughter (or my child which is what they prefer).
As for kilts, yes you can get away with a lot more with a kilt. I'm not that keen on them. I see them as a cop out. I like quality soft fabrics that look and feel great. I'm not keen on anything else. No tights etc. I don't go for floral patterns either.
As for the looks I get. So what? Better to be noticed. I'm fine with strangers. I wish I could overcome my other fears, I could not go to work in skirt. I would not go shooting in a skirt. I would not go to my cousins house in a skirt. Just being honest.