Progress - maybe lack of it

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
ScotL
Chatbot

Re: Progress - maybe lack of it

Post by ScotL »

Coder wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 1:13 pm
ScotL wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 10:05 am Sorry, I didn’t mean any disrespect. The written word doesn’t convey tone. My comments were meant as hyperbole and were written after reading comments about not liking what others were wearing.
That's how I read it - not too serious - as sometimes I see a bit of anti-pantsism (or any bifurcated garment) here. I get it - this is Skirt Cafe - not Pants Cafe - but sometimes it feels a bit inflexible.
We are campaigning for the right to be accepted wearing whatever the hell we please. And not to have to defend our decision to wear something. We should be free to wear clothing to match our style and be functional to whatever we are doing. I can see a skirt being hard to wear when I’m knee deep in muck, crawling under the house trying to fix the electrical conduit. Just not the right garment. Walking around on vacation when it’s hotter than hades, the skirt wins. But so could shorts if that’s what I want to wear. Don’t want to be pinned down into always have to wear a skirt.
mishawakaskirt
Member Extraordinaire

Post by mishawakaskirt »

Jim wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 11:35 am
rode_kater wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 8:56 am
If we were against all bifurcated garments we'd all stop wearing underwear too. Now, there are no doubt people here wearing skirts without underwear, but I suspect it's a small minority.
There is unbifurcated underwear.

Tru underwear is bifurcated.

I think underwear is almost a necessity.

Figuring that it helps keep ones clothes clean.
Adds a second layer of coverage against flashings.
I have seen trousers fall down or a kilt or skirt blow up.

I like brief style underwear, I like the support for my male bits.
I have Tried and hate boxers, might help keep your clothes clean, but offer no support. And have more bulk.

Briefs don't seem to affect stride and motion. So I think they go perfect with trousers or skirts.

I'm not into tights, PH or long socks because I think they all diminish the comfort factor of wearing a skirt in the first place. Wearing a skirt outside on a warm night in a gentle breeze. Is alot like walking into a bakery with fresh baked doughnuts for the first time.
Until then you have only had boxed doughnuts from a fuel station.
You don't what you have never had until you have the best.
A comfortable skirt is like a bakery fresh doughnut
I'm comfort driven not fashion or style driven.
I want the option to pick the dozen bakery fresh doughnuts any day.
Mishawakaskirt @2wayskirt on Twitter

Avoid the middle man, wear a kilt or skirt.
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

mishawakaskirt wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 4:12 pm
If we were against all bifurcated garments we'd all stop wearing underwear too. Now, there are no doubt people here wearing skirts without underwear, but I suspect it's a small minority.

I think underwear is almost a necessity.

Figuring that it helps keep ones clothes clean.
Adds a second layer of coverage against flashings.
I have seen trousers fall down or a kilt or skirt blow up.

I like brief style underwear, I like the support for my male bits.
I have Tried and hate boxers, might help keep your clothes clean, but offer no support. And have more bulk.

Briefs don't seem to affect stride and motion. So I think they go perfect with trousers or skirts.

I'm not into tights, PH or long socks because I think they all diminish the comfort factor of wearing a skirt in the first place. Wearing a skirt outside on a warm night in a gentle breeze. Is alot like walking into a bakery with fresh baked doughnuts for the first time.
Until then you have only had boxed doughnuts from a fuel station.
You don't what you have never had until you have the best.
A comfortable skirt is like a bakery fresh doughnut
I'm comfort driven not fashion or style driven.
I want the option to pick the dozen bakery fresh doughnuts any day.
Just curious as a newbie here, when it gets cold out, what do you wear with a skirt. Or do you forgo skirts then?
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

ScotL wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 5:37 pmJust curious as a newbie here, when it gets cold out, what do you wear with a skirt. Or do you forgo skirts then?
I cannot speak for others here, but my normal tactic when it starts getting cold is to opt for sheer tights first, then start shifting the hemlines lower, then the skirts getting heavier, the tights getting heavier, eventually down into the depths of winter which can reach -5 or -10 (F) in these here parts where the skirt will be a very long Victorian-style "walking skirt" of heavy wool, a petticoat under that for control (and warmth), a slip under that for friction control, opaque tights in a contrasting colour, and every heavier stuff up top eventually culminating in a heavy camisole under a dress shirt, under a woollen waistcoat, usually under a heavy jacket. All-up, I can deal with -10 (F) temperatures more warmly that I ever had with trousers. With all the layers below, it's like mittens for your legs -- vastly warmer than trousers.

The trick is not getting the hemline wet. Wet in temperatures like that will kill you.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

crfriend wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 5:48 pm
ScotL wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 5:37 pmJust curious as a newbie here, when it gets cold out, what do you wear with a skirt. Or do you forgo skirts then?
I cannot speak for others here, but my normal tactic when it starts getting cold is to opt for sheer tights first, then start shifting the hemlines lower, then the skirts getting heavier, the tights getting heavier, eventually down into the depths of winter which can reach -5 or -10 (F) in these here parts where the skirt will be a very long Victorian-style "walking skirt" of heavy wool, a petticoat under that for control (and warmth), a slip under that for friction control, opaque tights in a contrasting colour, and every heavier stuff up top eventually culminating in a heavy camisole under a dress shirt, under a woollen waistcoat, usually under a heavy jacket. All-up, I can deal with -10 (F) temperatures more warmly that I ever had with trousers. With all the layers below, it's like mittens for your legs -- vastly warmer than trousers.

The trick is not getting the hemline wet. Wet in temperatures like that will kill you.
This is what I expected to hear but Mishawakskirt says he doesn’t like tights or even long socks. So I’m interested to learn of his tactics to avoid them and wear a skirt in the cold.
mishawakaskirt
Member Extraordinaire

Post by mishawakaskirt »

ScotL wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 5:52 pm

This is what I expected to hear but Mishawakskirt says he doesn’t like tights or even long socks. So I’m interested to learn of his tactics to avoid them and wear a skirt in the cold.

Thank you for the question

I'm a part-time, under ground skirter and a timid kilter
And grab almost every opportunity to skirt up when the wife is not around. Or in instances where people are not going to not be around.
In the cold season skirts certainly do lose a lot of their appeal. I do wear them less when it's cold.
But that doesn't mean I stop wearing them.

I've worked multiple hours in a unheated barn in a jacket and a just above the knee skater style skirt. And it was right around freezing.

The last two winters I tried to wear my kilt with ankle socks on one of the coldest day of the year. I try for the coldest but haven't been totally successful hitting the right day.
To date -8 degrees F is the lowest I have achieved for about 15 minutes in my kilt. In long skirts I sure I could manage for alot longer.

Multiple long skirts is another way to help keep warm.
Several elastic waistbanded ankle length skirts. Would keep you warm.

It's been my experience as long as my upper body and my feet stay warm with a good jacket and boots. The Rest of me don't feel cold.

I encourage you to just get outside in the cold and see what option (s) you feel work best for you. Just be smart about it.
Have something warm nearby. And depending on where you are trying your limit. Make for certain you don't accidentally lock yourself out of your house or car. In the freezing cold. While in a skirt.

I will try and remember this post, and I will try to record this winter's cold days in a skirt in a future post.
Mishawakaskirt @2wayskirt on Twitter

Avoid the middle man, wear a kilt or skirt.
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

mishawakaskirt wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 7:23 pm
ScotL wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 5:52 pm

Thank you for the question

I'm a part-time, under ground skirter and a timid kilter
And grab almost every opportunity to skirt up when the wife is not around. Or in instances where people are not going to not be around.
In the cold season skirts certainly do lose a lot of their appeal. I do wear them less when it's cold.
But that doesn't mean I stop wearing them.

I've worked multiple hours in a unheated barn in a jacket and a just above the knee skater style skirt. And it was right around freezing.

The last two winters I tried to wear my kilt with ankle socks on one of the coldest day of the year. I try for the coldest but haven't been totally successful hitting the right day.
To date -8 degrees F is the lowest I have achieved for about 15 minutes in my kilt. In long skirts I sure I could manage for alot longer.

Multiple long skirts is another way to help keep warm.
Several elastic waistbanded ankle length skirts. Would keep you warm.

It's been my experience as long as my upper body and my feet stay warm with a good jacket and boots. The Rest of me don't feel cold.

I encourage you to just get outside in the cold and see what option (s) you feel work best for you. Just be smart about it.
Have something warm nearby. And depending on where you are trying your limit. Make for certain you don't accidentally lock yourself out of your house or car. In the freezing cold. While in a skirt.

I will try and remember this post, and I will try to record this winter's cold days in a skirt in a future post.
I’ve had similar experiences in shorts in the winter if I’m active. But I’ve found adding a leg layer to be better than being cold when wearing shorts. Haven’t had the opportunity to wear a skirt or kilt in the cold. So I was curious as to whether there was a different way than leggings/tights. I found if you size tights appropriately they’re comfortable. Mess that up, and well, you ain’t comfortable. I liken it to shoes. You can wear the wrong size but it’s gonna cost you
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

I live where it seldom gets below 15C (60F) and try to make my travels align with pleasant temperatures; but the wind can penetrate some fabrics and add a big chill factor; and wet fabric is seldom pleasant, so my first defense is a slip; merely adding that second layer warms things up quite a bit. Skirts with built-in liners accordingly offer more warmth, and you can add a slip to that to get down right toasty. Carl called it with layering and length. Tight weave, and thicker fabrics often aide.

I like slips even when not really needed for insulation to reduce the laundry cycles on my skirts and still have all the benefits of skirts without resorting to more restrictive items. Knee high socks and ditching my sandals if it is really nasty out will extend ones skirting season even in cold weather. Having lived in the Arctic a couple of years, layering offers great flexibility for moving between the outside, bus/car/airport to light shelter, and the office/house with relative ease. I did not wear skirts much in the Arctic, but have found them adequate to about about 0C (32F) without much enhancement, and down to say -6 or -7 with a dash of planning.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

I experimented a bit last winter going bare legged (ankle-length socks, of course) in the winter - I think down to 20 was about as much as I could take. I should keep closer track of this. What gave me courage was seeing women at church on Sunday during the winter - most would cover up one way or another, but some did not and I was curious. Plus, there's the occasional guy in shorts that you see year round.
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

mishawakaskirt wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 4:12 pm

You can't convince me a slip isn't underwear. I've also converted some boxers to be unbifurcated.
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

Coder wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 2:32 pm I experimented a bit last winter going bare legged (ankle-length socks, of course) in the winter - I think down to 20 was about as much as I could take. I should keep closer track of this. What gave me courage was seeing women at church on Sunday during the winter - most would cover up one way or another, but some did not and I was curious. Plus, there's the occasional guy in shorts that you see year round.
Beauty is pain is what I hear women say when they’re freezing but refuse to cover up
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

The day has finally arrived. I have been seen by one of the members of my shooting clubs (I do a bit of clay pigeon shooting at the weekends).

I have kept the skirts side of my life away from shooting. It's a very gruff male sport with very few women here in Berkshire. I did not wear a skirt because of the potential micky taking and the risk or me being ostracised. I also don't wear a skirt to the shooting ground because I want to concentrate on the clay and not worrying about my skirt wafting around.

Anyway today one of the men said in a loud voice "hey Adrian not wearing your skirt today?" He must have seen me in town. I froze but quickly regained my composure. "No, im not wearing a skirt today john" and went off to pay. By the time I got back to the group, there were a few sheepish looks and nobody said a word. The shoot was OK and maybe i think some people avoided me. John called across the ground when he saw someone swing a gun a bit near me and said goodbye when I left.

So he seems OK I don't know about the rest. We will see. I'm not gay so they have no need to worry. Right now I'm fine with them knowing. I'll still carry on shooting. It's better that they know, better than living in fear.
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

Barleymower wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 5:10 pm The day has finally arrived. I have been seen by one of the members of my shooting clubs (I do a bit of clay pigeon shooting at the weekends).

I have kept the skirts side of my life away from shooting. It's a very gruff male sport with very few women here in Berkshire. I did not wear a skirt because of the potential micky taking and the risk or me being ostracised. I also don't wear a skirt to the shooting ground because I want to concentrate on the clay and not worrying about my skirt wafting around.

Anyway today one of the men said in a loud voice "hey Adrian not wearing your skirt today?" He must have seen me in town. I froze but quickly regained my composure. "No, im not wearing a skirt today john" and went off to pay. By the time I got back to the group, there were a few sheepish looks and nobody said a word. The shoot was OK and maybe i think some people avoided me. John called across the ground when he saw someone swing a gun a bit near me and said goodbye when I left.

So he seems OK I don't know about the rest. We will see. I'm not gay so they have no need to worry. Right now I'm fine with them knowing. I'll still carry on shooting. It's better that they know, better than living in fear.
Excellent work sir!! You acted brilliantly by being nonchalant and answering a question in even tone without embarrassment. It’s like he asked you “not wearing pants today?”
lithaborn

Post by lithaborn »

Coder wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 2:32 pm I experimented a bit last winter going bare legged (ankle-length socks, of course) in the winter - I think down to 20 was about as much as I could take. I should keep closer track of this. What gave me courage was seeing women at church on Sunday during the winter - most would cover up one way or another, but some did not and I was curious. Plus, there's the occasional guy in shorts that you see year round.
I've been caught in a -10c snowstorm in a heavy 8yd kilt, thick jumper and long socks and was toasty warm, while my other half was frozen to the core in ski jacket and jeans. I may have teased her about that a few times. Yes there were undies. No slip.
Nunquam scienter normalis
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Progress - maybe lack of it

Post by Barleymower »

Life has taken an unexpected turn. I've been affected by this experience and now I have fallen out with my wife.
Nevertheless I am still in a skirt.