Sacaï Men's Spring and Resort 2023

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Sacaï Men's Spring and Resort 2023

Post by Grok »

Coder wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 6:58 pm This got me thinking though - culottes/split skirts were a precursor to women wearing pants (if I have my fashion history down right) - I wonder if the opposite could be true for men. Introduce a pair of shorts that - like these - have a vaguely skirt-like appearance - market for men. Then that same product line could sell a "undivided" pair for greater comfort.
Womens' culottes/divided skirts were actually wide, flow-y trousers. These garments did have a skirt like appearance, which apparently resulted in these being tolerated, if not fully embraced, by society. So, yes, women had a bifurcated option at an early date.

There is the concept of stealth skirts. Skirts that resemble shorts. Legs would be hinted at by deep pleats center front and center back of the skirt. (As I recall, one member had something like this, to which he added a button so the front and back of the hem could be fastened between his legs.) I think this concept could be regarded as a version of a divided skirt.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

That being said, what I think will gain traction within our lifetimes will be denim skirts. One advantage is that with little money and meager sewing skills, a man can convert a pair of jeans into a skirt. That gets around the problem of there not being enough demand (initially) to be commercially viable.

There have been a couple threads in the sewing section about such DIY conversions.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Grok wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 7:05 pmThat being said, what I think will gain traction within our lifetimes will be denim skirts.
Oh, dear god I hope not. Because if it comes to that, it'll stop there and that'll be that -- possibly permanently.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

I don't care much for denim skirts either. But I see it as one of the few possibilities for getting around the chicken/egg problem.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

It also depends on the style, right?

https://www.g-star.com/en_us/shop/women ... 3-b503-392

Or is there a general aversion to denim the fabric? I'm always curious when people state they don't like denim.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Denim is a rather harsh fabric against the skin.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

Grok wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 7:57 pm Denim is a rather harsh fabric against the skin.
I have had what is called "Brushed Denim".
It is really soft and easy on the skin it is light weight and very comfortable. I used to work for the Graniteville Company and we produced it. I had several shirts as well as shorts made from it.
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Coder wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 7:41 pmIt also depends on the style, right?
No. "Style" in denim is an oxymoron.
Or is there a general aversion to denim the fabric? I'm always curious when people state they don't like denim.
I have an categorical detest of the stuff, having had to wear it for far too much of my childhood, and the fact that its pervasiveness in the modern world reduces it to "visual noise". The pervasiveness is down to skilful marketing and US propaganda campaigns from years past. It's not because of any redeeming qualities of the fabric. The fabric tends to be abrasive on the skin, and in spite of its abrasiveness (which might suggest hardiness and sturdiness) is astonishingly fragile on certain bodies. I, for instance, cannot wear the stuff (even if I wanted to) because my body chemistry quite literally digests it and it disintegrates after a few weeks.

Denim, to me, is like "snow" on an old-school analogue TV; it obscures things that might otherwise be interesting, (Modern digital TVs fail in more "blocky" ways before going black; analogue ones failed slowly and gracefully according to the noise level as received. Another case where we have not really improved things.)

The problem is, is that the stuff is here to stay. I just hope that it doesn't sweep all other fabrics before it in the ever-accelerating race to the bottom.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

I thought it interesting that members would experiment with skirt suits. Didn't really expect this concept to gain any traction beyond the membership.

However...there was that image of actor Brad Pitt wearing skirt and jacket of similar color.

I was wondering if this famous person had devised his own version of a skirt suit. If so, this sort of thinking isn't necessarily limited to the membership.

Could skirt suits gain traction amongst a faction of men? After all, Kilties are a group.