Life is short - wear the outfit

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Life is short - wear the outfit

Post by Coder »

A few days ago Instagram suggested this to me:

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cf9W3WXgYZq/

Not all of you will be able to view this, unfortunately as Instagram blocks access if you don't have an account. Essentially, as she puts together a "crazy" look, she explains:
You know, a question I see a lot is, how do people have the confidence to wear all of their crazy outfits in public.

My answer, practice.

Most people aren't born with confidence. It's a process. You start with an outfit slightly outside of your comfort zone and then as your confidence strengthens, you work your way up to your wildest looks. After a while, you truly stop caring about what other people think about you and you start realizing that you only have one life so you might as well have fun.

Life is short.

Wear the outfit.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Life is short - wear the outfit

Post by Fred in Skirts »

For those who can't see the post

affectionatelyaudrey's profile picture
affectionatelyaudrey
LIFE IS SHORT, WEAR THE OUTFIT! 😎
Finding the confidence to be your true self can be really hard. BUT I promise it gets easier the more you decide to do what makes you happy, regardless of what other people will think! SO wear what makes you happy because we need more of your creativity and light in this world! 🥰🙌🏻
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

And I should add - what she says is totally 100% true for me. I'm not quite there yet with the confidence part, but it has grown considerably through a gradual process.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

But she's a woman and so can wear anything. What she has on is quirky but wouldn't draw any second looks.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

Sinned wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 10:15 pm But she's a woman and so can wear anything. What she has on is quirky but wouldn't draw any second looks.
Yes - so true it pains me to agree. That freedom is something I lose a lot of sleep over, but I press on regardless.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Coder wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 10:36 pm
Sinned wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 10:15 pm But she's a woman and so can wear anything. What she has on is quirky but wouldn't draw any second looks.
Yes - so true it pains me to agree. That freedom is something I lose a lot of sleep over, but I press on regardless.
The parts about confidence, however, are absolutely and universally true.

It took me perhaps a couple of months to head out "into the wild" wearing a skirt -- and it was interestingly with the encouragement of my late ex- I'd shocked her a bit a few months before with a request to construct a skirt from an old curtain I'd found in the basement, ad she spent a little bit of time fretting about, "What does this mean?" -- and eventually came to the conclusion of, "Nothing", followed up with a comment of, "There's 15 seconds I'm never going to get back!".

I'd like to think I've gotten pretty good at rocking skirts since then.

I just wish women didn't find me frightening because I have dangly bits between my legs (which only a tiny number have actually seen). Being a man in a third-wave feminist world is tough. For the gods' sake, I have a house-mate who remains scared of me after knowing me for seven years simply because I'm a man. How fair is that?
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Sinned wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 10:15 pm But she's a woman and so can wear anything.
Hi Sinned, as guys it is up to us to prove that we can too.
Sorry man, but like it says on the tin "Wear The Thing"!
If you choose not to, that is your right but no point complaining.
crfriend wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 12:54 am I just wish women didn't find me frightening because
Carl, I have those "bits" too, the fact that they are less than fully functional isn't that obvious, I hope! Yesterday, I had a delightful chat with a lady of my own age who I'd say has her own "confidence" issues. She was very happily telling me about quite personal problems that she has faced in her life. As we parted, she seemed to realise that she'd let "rip" and said, "thank you" to me.
In reality, I felt honoured, the down at heart look on her face had been replaced by a smile and a tinkly laugh and just because I listened.
Now, fashion aside but many men are intimidated by strong confident women. Could it be that a strong confident guy in a skirt has the identical affect on some women or are you really a part-time ogre?
Steve.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Stevie, I agree with you. I would wear a lot more girls' stuff but even so some of the things I do wear is beyond my wife's expectations. I push the boundaries with her often, then reign back a little so she can increase ( decrease? ) her tolerance of my attire. The only person's opinion I really care about is hers even though it iterates [0] the hell out of me that she can't see that what I wear doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things. Occasionally she rants.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.