Wardrobe malfunction

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
rivegauche
Member Extraordinaire

Wardrobe malfunction

Post by rivegauche »

I was shopping for clothes in two Scottish villages on Tuesday. White male T-shirt, maroon leather big skirt and flat stone-coloured women's sandals. As always, there were no reactions. In the last shop in the second village, I had been trying on dresses and was getting back into my skirt when the zip disintegrated. It was a grown-on zip so there was no button or clip, and the zip just undid itself, leaving my skirt with no visible means of support. Fortunately the shop sold belts. The skirt had no belt loops so I had to walk very carefully about 200m back to my car. Fortunately no undies were exposed to the good people of Broughty Ferry (near Dundee). The shop assistant was very helpful and sympathetic. And yes, I bought a dress as well as a belt. In hundreds of excursions in public in skirts and dresses this is the first wardrobe accident I have had, and I will think twice about wearing this sort of skirt fastening in public again without a back-up.
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Wardrobe malfunction

Post by Big and Bashful »

I have had a couple of zips fail, luckily enough , not in public. Now I have shrunk significantly I am trying out the skirts I could never get into, so I need to get those zips fixed.
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
Bodycon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Bodycon »

Big and Bashful wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 11:03 pm I have had a couple of zips fail, luckily enough , not in public. Now I have shrunk significantly I am trying out the skirts I could never get into, so I need to get those zips fixed.
If wearing a zip only skirt, maybe put a safety pin somewhere hidden on the skirt just in case...may never happen again, but like the 1 in 200 year storm the clock is ticking....
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

If you put S-T-R-E-S-S on a zipper be it metal (the most rugged type) the hidden nylon type (sometimes easy to fix) or the
exposed plastic tooth as fate would have it failure is only matter of time and constant abuse.
Safety pins (also kilt pins) duct tape super glue are some of the immediate repairs possible.

Like Dirty Harry a man has to know his limits
Don't push yours wearing flimsy easy to compromise fastenings

And like your mama said wear clean underwear just in case ! LOL !
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
partlyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by partlyscot »

Grown on zip?

Sown on?
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

I experienced a very similar event a number of years ago.
Fortunately, I was in the office at the time and a lady colleague came to my rescue with a safety pin.
I now carry one tucked away at the bottom of my wallet but never used it in anger.
Be Prepared, Dib Dib, Ging Gang etc etc etc,
Steve,
Andy_G

Post by Andy_G »

Sound a bit of a nightmare!! Did you not just put your new dress on? What is a “leather big skirt”?
rivegauche
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rivegauche »

It was leather so not really suitable for a safety pin. It was expensive - even half price it was £147 - so I would not have wanted to damage it. A grown on zip is one where the zip alone fastens the skirt. And a leather big skirt is a big skirt (long and very flared) made of leather. Calling it a big leather skirt doesn't sound right to me. I couldn't put my dress on as I was about to go to a work event and needed to be able to change back to traditional male clothing easily. It was only the next day that I thought of asking for a skirt instead of a belt, but I don't recall seeing a skirt in the shop - skirts are definitely getting rarer on the rails. Fortunately I like dresses.