Zirts

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Zirts

Post by Coder »

Instagram has been getting better and better at advertising to me, not going to say I like it doing that, though. This is an interesting concept - this skirt would pretty much work for anyone here - just buy a few and zip on additional strips to get a maxi:

https://bramvik.com

Not sure the concept is going anywhere (looks like the product was released in 2020), but out of curiosity I ordered one via Amazon - it gets free returns and I can at least figure out my sizing.

They show a maxi skirt configuration - not really my style - but without a slit I have no idea how one walks in it. Really, anything longer than below knee seems like it'd be restrictive.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Zirts

Post by STEVIE »

Hi Coder,
Cool idea but not in Amazon UK unfortunately.
I had hike trousers which converted to shorts, same principle.
it would be good if they sold the tiers separately, get creative!
Steve.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

STEVIE wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 4:06 pm Hi Coder,
Cool idea but not in Amazon UK unfortunately.
I had hike trousers which converted to shorts, same principle.
it would be good if they sold the tiers separately, get creative!
Steve.
I didn’t find any on their site. Seems the only way to get them would be to buy multiple colors (each tier has a different color on the other side). I also found a video of the maxi skirt version - they don’t show the woman walking but she turns around in place and it looks dreadfully restrictive.
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

Looked at their website :|
Adult skirts are 'straight pencil skirts' :(
No A-line skirts offered, that I could find.
I'll pass - off to brighter and better areas.....

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

Uncle Al wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 8:18 pm Looked at their website :|
Adult skirts are 'straight pencil skirts' :(
No A-line skirts offered, that I could find.
I'll pass - off to brighter and better areas.....

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
I know, right? That perplexed me as well. My guess is they did this to either make the strips compatible (the a-line would flare out more than the straight) or they thought the concept would take off and they could branch out. The other differentiator - the 28 is an aline. I was tempted to order that, but was concerned with no slit it would be too restrictive.

I’ll post a tiny review here when it comes - my guess is I’ll send it back, it’s probably too short (they didn’t post lengths).
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Coder wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 6:52 pm they don’t show the woman walking but she turns around in place and it looks dreadfully restrictive.
I guess they aren't called "hobble" skirts for nothing?
Steve.
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Big and Bashful »

I actualy like skirts that restrict me a bit, these however don't go large enough even for my now shrunken dimensions. I would have liked to try a zirt out.
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

I'd guess that the taper in an a-line skirt would be produce too many permutations for the tier principle.
Complications cost money and the product would not justify it.
I'm like B&B, I'd love to try one.
Steve.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Interesting concept and in the short configuration looks pleasing to the eye... but the long ones.... I never have even crazy about long straight maxi (or midi) skirts. To me it's not a flattering look on men or women...

Kinda looks like the wearer is wearing a giant toilet paper core.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

Coder,
Looking forward to your findings and more informative pics on the practical/technical side.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

I bought their 30" / small and it's too tight in the hips (oddly enough, being a guy, lacking, well, hips) so I placed an order for the 32". The waist will be too large, but it might be more comfortable (there's an internal drawstring to tighten the fit). However, I like the details, fabric, and zipper gimmick/tiered effect. If this works out both go back to Amazon and I buy two colors directly from their website. I'll also compare whether strips between sizes are interchangeable (probably not). Ultimately though, it is a short skirt - shorter than what I typically wear - and a straight skirt, not my favorite cut. I could remedy the length by simply adding a strip, but it might be too long at that point. Also, depending on length and shape I either wear skirts at my hips or naval - since it's so short I want to pull it down to my hips, but again, due to skirt proportions I can't do that with this one.
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

Consider buying one or two sizes bigger and then have a tailor or DIY put in DARTS in the rear waist area.
Keeps the hip area the same and reduces the waist by a pinch on either side.
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Big and Bashful »

If only! I may have shrunk in the wash but I am still way too big to try these out!
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
new2skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by new2skirts »

Extendable skirts... one can't be taken seriously in one of these, looks like a faff to unzip and release another section of material to make it longer. Cue perplexed faces as you go in a stall in a mini skirt, to emerge in a shapeless calf length one.

It's a no from me... :mrgreen:
Formerly Kilty / Joe Public etc...
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

Not quite the review I promised but at least a followup. The 32 was way too big - even with adjusting the inside elastic it kind of fit all wrong. So I sent both back - but before I did so tried the 30 (Small) on again and it fit if I wore it up at my navel. I angsted a bit and ordered from their main site as the size (30) and color (olive green) were not in stock on Amazon.

Things I liked about them:

1) The zipper system is quite clever, and well sewed. I don't know how they were able to have a garment manufactured with four zippers and have them be interchangeable without issue. I know we aren't talking NASA here, but can you just imagine the QC the factory has to do?

2) The fabric is nice - not too thick, but not too thin.

3) While I likely won't use the self-belt (who knows, maybe I will) it's nice to have as an option

4) I really like the shape. Even though they call it a straight skirt, it is somewhere between a straight an aline. I think, when you add in extra strips, since they don't flare it becomes a straight skirt vis a vie geometry

5) Inside elastic is clever - the elastic adjustment uses buttons and button holes sewed in the elastic to take the skirt in. A detail - well - feels like that part was over-engineered.

6) I like the tiered look the zipper flaps give.

Finally, while I think the length is on the shorter side, it is only a real concern when sitting - and even then only if you don't pay attention to how you sit.

IMHO - I worry a bit that it's such a unique product with limited styles that it won't sell or pick up in popularity. I realize that isn't my problem, but I hate to see cool ideas fade away into obscurity.