Compliments

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
crfriend
Master Barista

Compliments

Post by crfriend »

And so it came to pass that I found myself at my old local this afternoon, in the company of casual acquaintances (although they were not aware of my presence at the time) and strangers -- and received a very nice compliment from a young woman who remarked, that I "looked splendid" and that she "really liked my outfit" and even commented on the barrette that was restraining what little is left of my ponytail.

"Hi, I'm Kaitlin, and I just wanted to say...", and I arose to greet her the way that men are supposed to. It was absolutely delightful, and a feather I'll wear for some time. Life, sometimes, is good even factoring in recent events.

Outfit: Black dress shirt, burgundy double-breasted waistcoat, yellow miniskirt, black lattice-work knee-highs, navy 2" block heels, a fairly simple jewelled barrette in my hair, and my assorted timepieces that I usually carry.

The familiar acquaintances saw me on their way out and a request was made to share mobile numbers so as to potentially coordinate things going forward which I demurred on as I do not want to get between her and her current paramour. (It'd be a bad match anyway, I suspect. Like the last attempt.)
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Compliments

Post by denimini »

Great to hear of such a positive experience ............ no doubt an antidote to the other stuff.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Awww Carl,
Way to go man and I am currently turning an interesting green shade at the moment.
No potential for any follow up but I got a nice one from a lady on Wednesday, alas a client.
Kept a smile on my old mug for quite some time too.
Ego boosts are always most gratefully received and freely given as possible.
Steve.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

denimini wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 6:28 amGreat to hear of such a positive experience ............ no doubt an antidote to the other stuff.
It helped in some small way, because the other "stuff" has been festering of late and I need to find a way of either throwing it over the side or somehow deadening the raw pain.
Stevie wrote:Way to go man and I am currently turning an interesting green shade at the moment.
Don't turn green! "It ain't easy being green", as Kermit the Frog once said.

Yes, it was a good evening, and the good feel lasted for the rest of it once I returned home. The occasional stroke indeed works wonders.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Just in the last week or so I was over meeting a lot of UK based friends and relatives, none of whom I had seen since before Covid and inevitably came the compliments, totally unrelated to one's attire, but about one's physical bearing and appearance.

My replies all started with the admonition that any such compliments be directed through the 'Mutual Admiration Society' channel. The fact that we are still turning up at gatherings at our age(s) at all means that we are feeling and presumably looking good also.

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

Last night we went to a quinceañera for twins of a family here. My neighbor also showed up at the party ---probably about 100 of us in an outdoor pavilion. My wife picked out my outfit for the evening, not my choice, but low and behold the neighbor with his new girlfriend and (MIL to be?) in tow took one look, and said "I need to get one of those". (He has said similar things once or twice before, but not acted.) Anyway, kind of a compliment. The host showed me a picture he caught of my dancing with MOH...and may send it along. Since I so rarely take pictures, and very rarely a 'selfie', I'll see if I can attach it here, if and when it comes. A couple of ladies indicated they liked the skirt, which as Carl noted are rewarding, but it was another of the rare male 'compliments' that sometimes gives you a glimmer of hope that the world is changing for better in some small ways.

Now, had I Carl's flare for a true full ensemble I might have rated "splendid" & "outfit" not just 'one of those'! :) Good on you, Carl.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Maybe there is a thaw of sorts. We are having a heatwave over here with temperatures in the high 20's/early 30's centigrapes. I leave the front windows of my car open ( we live in a quiet cul-de-sac on the edge of town so I can do this ) and tonight she reminded me to close them so I trotted off outside in my pale blue polycotton skirt ( and little else ). She was already out and I expected whinges about the skirt but, nothing. In fact after closing the windows she led me round the back of the house to show me something. I deliberately prolonged the outage enjoying the freedom. That is the best compliment I have had from her for a long while. I am not at work tomorrow so I'll see what else I can get away with skirt-wise and the great outdoors, like going out to open the windows skirted and inventing other reasons to go out skirted.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

When I was starting to check out at ALDI in Peoria, a young woman employee, not the one checking me out, came over and said, "Sir, you might think this is strange, but I really, really, like your outfit!" I responded "Thank you," and went back to unloading my cart.

I was wearing a black and white checked dress, with an off-white guayabera shirt and navy blue sweater on top. When I got home, my wife asked, "You went out in that?" so I had to tell her the story about ALDI.

Maybe she'll go tell her husband or boyfriend what she saw and how good it looked.
DSCN2425cs.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

Jim wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 12:13 am When I was starting to check out at ALDI in Peoria, a young woman employee, not the one checking me out, came over and said, "Sir, you might think this is strange, but I really, really, like your outfit!" I responded "Thank you," and went back to unloading my cart.
Well, technically, she was checking you out.

(sorry, couldn't resist)
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

It is rare that anyone comments on my skirt wearing but today was an exception.
I went to a "garage sale" at the local school where they were selling off items and furniture surplus to requirements.
I was carrying a couple of small benches and a teacher I had not met called out from a bit of a distance "That skirt looks very comfortable".
I replied "Yes it is. They are good to wear".
"Where did you buy it?"
"Shein .......... online"
There were plenty of people around but everyone there had got used to my mini skirts and had no reaction to the conversation at all.

It was the skirt picured here: http://www.skirtcafe.org/forums/downloa ... &mode=view
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
big_daddy_thong

Post by big_daddy_thong »

Yesterday, I went downtown to pick up a coworker at his hotel. It was in the lower 30's with snow flurries and windy. I wore my gray fleece winter leggings and a black knee length corduroy skirt with a jacket with tan Boots. I was getting in the elevator to the lobby from the parking garage, 3 ladies in their 80's got in. We exchanged hellos and commented on the cold weather. Out of the blue, one mentioned how much she loved my outfit especially the skirt and tights. And her friends chimed in on how warm I must be in the cold climate. I Thank them. One of them said I wear it well and can pull it off and I have great gams(legs) to show off. Needless to say I was smiling from ear to ear. These elderly ladies made my day for sure.
e2k2houck

Post by e2k2houck »

I also have received plenty of complements. From both man and woman. Some when hiking or backpacking, I've had people stop me and ask me where I got my skirt when hiking, some woman have taken my picture. I had a woman chase me down in an airport to ask me where I got the skirt I was wearing.
big_daddy_thong

Post by big_daddy_thong »

Instead of the usual tights/leggings I have been wearing yoga skirts to practice.
My last two yoga classes I worn different outfits.
One day I wore a teal - aqua green yoga skirt with a muted orange sleeveless top and headband, Which in fact I wore all day out running errands and out working on my drive routes. Today I wore a sliver grey yoga skirt with a Gray thong bodysuit underneath and a grey t shirt combined with a black and gray camo headband.

One of the yoga teachers that I'm friendly with always compliments me on my outfits asked me why I was not wearing my wild and bright pattern tights anymore. I said it has been to hot out for tights and I just wanted to mix things up with my outfits for a change of pace. She said I look great no matter what I wear. She said that she always looks forward to what kind of outfit I will wear when I come in to the studio.
Kieran

Post by Kieran »

I had my first compliment today after paying for petrol (my first time doing so while skirted).
On my way out, one of the members of staff said to me "I like your skirt, looks fabulous".

Certainly a nice feeling when someone takes the time to compliment your outfit, don't recall it ever happening when I've worn shorts!

Outfit: Black tennis mini skirt, White & black striped t-shirt and black trainers.
Same as outfit two in my pics & looks thread, just without the tights and jacket (viewtopic.php?p=245619#p245619)
Bertino56
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Bertino56 »

All compliments I get are from women.
Nobody notices the skirts I'm wearing. I'm not fishing for compliments,
attention, or approval. I wear what's comfortable and practical.
What they notice is (1) my Harry Potter cap that says "I solemnly swear that
I am up to no good," picked up at a garage sale; (2) my Lularoe leggings, one is
Kermit the Frog and the other is Mickey Mouse, inherited from a dear friend;
(3) my Saltwater sandals; (4) my Duckfeet Himmerland and Lolland shoes.