Much skirt wearing over the jubilee?

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
howardfh
Member Extraordinaire

Much skirt wearing over the jubilee?

Post by howardfh »

Would have thought it was a great opportunity for men to skirt up a bit, but seen nothing apart from doing my bit. Thinking flags worn as skirts etc.

I have a union-flag skort which I wore as a man to badminton, but the rest of the weekend I've worn it as a transvestite with some good feedback and a plus from people who only know me as a "man". But so disappointed that men have simply kept to wearing normal clothes but just in the red/white/blue colours. Booo....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JeffB1959
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Much skirt wearing over the jubilee?

Post by JeffB1959 »

Well, I’m glad to see you’re doing your part. That’s a super cool outfit! 8)
I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman.
howardfh
Member Extraordinaire

Post by howardfh »

JeffB1959 wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 10:27 am Well, I’m glad to see you’re doing your part. That’s a super cool outfit! 8)
Thanks! I've not been called "super cool" for years! Plenty of other things... :D
Stu
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Stu »

The only unexpected sartorial event I spotted over the Jubilee was a Muslim family attending a street party with all the mum and two girls wearing hijabs with Union Flags all over them.

For some reason, I felt a wave of joy when I saw that.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

I was out and about in the Skruit.
It was also my 10th anniversary of being skirted at work on 1st June too.
Steve.
KiltedintheValley

Post by KiltedintheValley »

That is such a cool outfit!
"Be weird. Be random. Be who you are, because you never know who would love the person you hide." - Alan Watts

Life is too short to talk yourself out of wearing what you want because “I can’t pull off that look”.
Myopic Bookworm
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Myopic Bookworm »

I didn't think a skirt would go down well at our church jubilee event, and it was a good excuse to wear my Union flag shirt with a Black watch tartan kilt. One visiting lady did commend the kilt and made a vague comment about men having problems with wearing skirts, so I hinted vaguely that I had some other skirts.
shadowfax
Member Extraordinaire

Post by shadowfax »

howardfh wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 10:20 am Would have thought it was a great opportunity for men to skirt up a bit, but seen nothing apart from doing my bit. Thinking flags worn as skirts etc.

I have a union-flag skort which I wore as a man to badminton, but the rest of the weekend I've worn it as a transvestite with some good feedback and a plus from people who only know me as a "man". But so disappointed that men have simply kept to wearing normal clothes but just in the red/white/blue colours. Booo....
Nicely put together outfit Howard.
You look great in it. :)
howardfh
Member Extraordinaire

Post by howardfh »

shadowfax wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 3:16 pm
howardfh wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 10:20 am Would have thought it was a great opportunity for men to skirt up a bit, but seen nothing apart from doing my bit. Thinking flags worn as skirts etc.

Nicely put together outfit Howard.
You look great in it. :)
Thanks! *Blushes*
Midas
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Midas »

Whatever happened to the Union Jack?
howardfh
Member Extraordinaire

Post by howardfh »

Midas wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 1:11 pm Whatever happened to the Union Jack?
The "Union Jack" is a Union Flag but mounted on a ship (probably warship); the one on land is the Union Flag. So same thing, different position.
Bodycon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Bodycon »

howardfh wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 1:15 pm
Midas wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 1:11 pm Whatever happened to the Union Jack?
The "Union Jack" is a Union Flag but mounted on a ship (probably warship); the one on land is the Union Flag. So same thing, different position.
I thought the white ensign was the flag of the Navy, which is a George cross with the union flag in the corner?

Then there's the red......

At least Jerry Halliwell wasn't wearing union jack knickers....
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Bodycon wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 5:58 pmI thought the white ensign was the flag of the Navy, which is a George cross with the union flag in the corner?
The ensign is typically flown from the stern or the mizzen mast of the vessel and the jack from the "jackstaff" which is right at the bow.

If it sounds more complex than it needs to be, that's because it is. Traditions can get that way, and navies tend to be steeped in them.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
howardfh
Member Extraordinaire

Post by howardfh »

crfriend wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 6:18 pm
Bodycon wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 5:58 pmI thought the white ensign was the flag of the Navy, which is a George cross with the union flag in the corner?
The ensign is typically flown from the stern or the mizzen mast of the vessel and the jack from the "jackstaff" which is right at the bow.

If it sounds more complex than it needs to be, that's because it is. Traditions can get that way, and navies tend to be steeped in them.
The UK is probably the most complicated country in the world. Four countries as one but not countries but they are, the largest one by population doesn't have it's own parliament but the other three do, Great Britain isn't the United Kingdom just part of it, don't say "British Isles" in front of an Irishman (unless they come from the North and are Unionists).

At least the Channel Islands, Gibraltar and the Isle Of Man are simpler.....oh....
Bodycon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Bodycon »

crfriend wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 6:18 pm

Yikes, we're off at a tangent again.... shh....and you a mod.... :lol:

So it seems, however Wiki tells me that the union flag (no longer called the union jack) is only to be flown by ships in port or at anchor.

Enough of flags. I wore my bright green hiking skirt over the weekend for a couple of walks around the local hills. The young calves on the farm I pass through were intrigued and a few grouse out on the moor startled. I had the place to myself otherwise and only met other folk on the cycle / walking paths and the neighbours at home. Not really much call for the jubilee locally, I don't think the few events that were on were well attended. Weather has been great though, I always carry a jacket when out, but had no need of it.
Upper Garnock.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.