Fashion brand ClHu — Clothes for Humans

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Myopic Bookworm
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Fashion brand ClHu — Clothes for Humans

Post by Myopic Bookworm »

ScotL wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 11:58 pm Thanks for that. I’m not interested in stiff skirts er kilts. Just got a utility kilt in the mail. Sent from Pakistan which was a bit odd to me. Gonna try it out tomorrow
There seems to be a thriving kilt industry in Pakistan, selling over the internet. Some of the cheap kilts you used to buy in Scotland, aimed at tourists and football fans, were probably made in either Pakistan or China, though Gold Brothers (purveyors of Scottish tat) claim to have shifted more of their manufacturing to Scotland.

I once had the curious experience of wearing a black kilt to a "Renaissance Festival" in the US, and having a stallholder suddenly call out knowingly "that is a Gold Brothers Kilt". Almost as weird as having a passer-by at a Highland event correctly identify the maker of one my handmade kilts (Matt Newsome).
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

Myopic Bookworm wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 4:54 pm
I once had the curious experience of wearing a black kilt to a "Renaissance Festival" in the US, and having a stallholder suddenly call out knowingly "that is a Gold Brothers Kilt". Almost as weird as having a passer-by at a Highland event correctly identify the maker of one my handmade kilts (Matt Newsome).
Must’ve been someone else really interested in kilts. I can’t place the kilt maker of any of my own kilts and I bought them
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

I broke down and ordered two skirts from them - the Decon cargo and the utility skirt. Bot fit so perfectly I could cry - cry because I promptly returned them. They were nice, I really liked both. I thought the fabric on the Decon cargo was too thin. The utility skirt was strangely comfortable, and the shorts peeking out of the skirt had a futuristic vibe to it I couldn't place. The inner shorts were also made out a nice thick fabric. But they were just too expensive. There was nothing special about them to justify the high cost. Length on both was perfect.

I bought size 2 (green) in both. Green utility / kaki cargo. Both had elastic, and both were a bit tight to pull on. If they ever have a major sale or clearance I'd be tempted to order again and go with one size up.
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

Coder wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 11:22 am They were nice, I really liked both. I thought the fabric on the Decon cargo was too thin.
Too thin? Like you could see through it? Or like so thin it was stupidly comfortable but just didn’t feel like you were wearing anything
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

ScotL wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 1:01 pm
Coder wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 11:22 am They were nice, I really liked both. I thought the fabric on the Decon cargo was too thin.
Too thin? Like you could see through it? Or like so thin it was stupidly comfortable but just didn’t feel like you were wearing anything
Neither. The khaki material was thin like a thin pair of Dockers (or thin dress pants), and a bit stiff. It might have softened up in the wash, but I was not going to take that risk for $135.

And here's the real stupid part of it all. The part that bugs me the most. I'm comfortable - to some degree - buying and wearing "women's skirts". But, these are being sold as unisex, modeled on male models, and somehow that makes them more acceptable to me. For instance, I have skirts the same length and similar style as the Decon cargo and when I put them on I feel, well, frumpy. Maybe the hips on my skirts are cut too wide, but essentially they are the same skirt. Perhaps it was the price tag that gives it an allure of specialness. Regardless, I was like, "Dang, this really works".
FLbreezy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by FLbreezy »

I have one of the utility skirts (I got a coupon thing from them way back when this thread started) and I like it, but I need to lose another inch-ish around my waist before it will really fit the way I'd like (I'm working on it!). The shorts peeking out, well, I didn't think I'd like it but it grew on me. The sweats/skirt combo will be nice when the weather gets cooler here.
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

Coder wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 2:40 pm
ScotL wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 1:01 pm
Neither. The khaki material was thin like a thin pair of Dockers (or thin dress pants), and a bit stiff. It might have softened up in the wash, but I was not going to take that risk for $135.

And here's the real stupid part of it all. The part that bugs me the most. I'm comfortable - to some degree - buying and wearing "women's skirts". But, these are being sold as unisex, modeled on male models, and somehow that makes them more acceptable to me. For instance, I have skirts the same length and similar style as the Decon cargo and when I put them on I feel, well, frumpy. Maybe the hips on my skirts are cut too wide, but essentially they are the same skirt. Perhaps it was the price tag that gives it an allure of specialness. Regardless, I was like, "Dang, this really works".
Interesting observations. Does make me wonder if fashion designers have altered their cuts (doubt that’s the right word but…) to accommodate the male physique.

Or, I have been scouring an online thrift store for skirts and there are some that just look so restricting. The pencil or straight ones or ones that seem to have an even smaller leg opening than waist opening perplex me. I ordered one by accident and really disliked it. I had to kneel and it stopped me. Almost fell over. So have unisex fashions gotten rid of that restriction and that works for men and women? I’ve put on some womens skirts and also felt that funniness cause it seems they flow outward to much.

I find kilts comfortable because the aprons seem to never restrict movement. Awesome. As long as they ain’t wool. Allergic.

I like lightheartgear hiking skirts cause they have a lightweight fabric that’s comfortable, do not restrict movement and have good pockets. Have an outdoorsy look. Not cheap. Only chink in the armor. And they do talk about how they don’t restrict movement while hiking. Maybe it is a design thing…
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

I think it’s that they don’t have as full of hips. Not sure if that’s because they are unisex or that’s just how they cut them - some brands are like this.
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

Coder wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 4:12 pm I think it’s that they don’t have as full of hips. Not sure if that’s because they are unisex or that’s just how they cut them - some brands are like this.
Like more fitted in the hips but still has a flare on the bottom?
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

ScotL wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 5:09 pm
Coder wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 4:12 pm I think it’s that they don’t have as full of hips. Not sure if that’s because they are unisex or that’s just how they cut them - some brands are like this.
Erm, I think (can't check anymore) they were cut kind of straight. Some Boden skirts I've bought secondhand fit very well like this, so I don't think this is necessarily a unisex cut, just perhaps cut for less hip than others.
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

Coder wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 8:59 pm
ScotL wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 5:09 pm
Erm, I think (can't check anymore) they were cut kind of straight. Some Boden skirts I've bought secondhand fit very well like this, so I don't think this is necessarily a unisex cut, just perhaps cut for less hip than others.
Make sense that that would be maybe more male cut than unisex since men typically have less hips than women. I think you’ve likely hit on why they feel less frumpy.