Houdini Unisex Skirts

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Houdini Unisex Skirts

Post by Grok »

I believe that this is the first time I have come across the term "shell skirt".

I have commented on this topic before...I think these garments might be useful in dealing with cold or rain. But I am skeptical about blocking out wind. :roll:
Dust
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Dust »

The right material, and they may help quite a bit with wind. Look decent, but no way on the price point.
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

Jim,

I wonder (a) how good they are for the environment and (b) how much the workers are being paid in their sweat shop.

Buying cheap stuff like that is likely to be irresponsible.
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

Ray wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 1:58 pm Jim,

I wonder (a) how good they are for the environment and (b) how much the workers are being paid in their sweat shop.

Buying cheap stuff like that is likely to be irresponsible.
YES, these are important considerations. But I have no assurance the more expensive stuff is any better in this regard. Houdini's written philosophy on sustainability is at least hopeful.

I buy almost all my clothing used. The world has much more clothing than is needed.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Dust wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 1:22 am The right material, and they may help quite a bit with wind.
Hi Dust,
That would only work if it is floor sweeper length and highly insulative too.
I certainly would not venture out on high ground in winter in one of these skirts.
That said, I would be unlikely to in any kind of skirt, that's for the balmy summer days.
The temperatures can reach a scorching 10 C on a really good day in Scotland, it may not even rain.
Steve.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

One chilly day, years ago, I noticed a woman putting on a long skirt over her jeans. She explained that the skirt was an extra layer of insulation.

Made sense.