#7DaySkirtChallenge on Instagram

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
crfriend
Master Barista

Re: #7DaySkirtChallenge on Instagram

Post by crfriend »

The part I found hilarious was the link to "hate dressing" which may go some way as to explaining some of the worst of the things we're seeing at the moment. Not all of it, mind, but some.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

I think that with men, and increasingly with women, they just don't think about what they are wearing and don't want to. They just wear what they have always worn as that is the easiest way out. By sticking to the drab colours they don't have to consider whether colours are harmonious or clash. This is not just confined to garment types. Jeans are neutral and a comfort so are a safe choice. Some on this site wouldn't consider wearing the bright colours I do, others would embrace them. Maybe it's laziness, I don't know, but many on this site, and I am one of them, suffer an almost painful concern as to what to wear before going out the door, trying on several combinations. The rejected outfits just don't seem to match what we feel at that time even though they are ultimately wearable at other times.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

I really don't want to derail this thread... but Sinned just mentioned drab colors, and I read this article the other day:

https://metro.co.uk/2021/12/09/woman-li ... -15742590/

One part of that article stuck out to me:
‘I think the great thing about living in the now, and not in the past, is that we have the right to choose how we dress. As a woman, I have the right to decide if I want to wear trousers without a second glance or judgement.

‘I can choose to wear all black or pastels, head to toe. I don’t have to adhere to modern trends if I don’t want to. I know it is a big step to separate yourself from the masses and do your own thing, but I think we all have that bravery in us.’
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Hi Coder
I rather like this lady's attitude and she also echoes the thread title, "challenge"
"As a woman, I have the right to decide if I want to wear trousers without a second glance or judgement."
Insert guy and skirt in place of woman and trousers then we have it, "Dare to be Different", as Carl said earlier.
She certainly seems to have done that alright and looking good with it too.
As guys, we just have to rise to it in our uniquely guyish way.
Steve.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

STEVIE wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 9:02 pmI rather like this lady's attitude and she also echoes the thread title, "challenge"
"As a woman, I have the right to decide if I want to wear trousers without a second glance or judgement."
Insert guy and skirt in place of woman and trousers then we have it,
There's a not-so-subtle difference in play, in case nobody's noticed. Dresses and skirts are unusual on women nowadays, but nobody bats an eyelash about them save, perhaps, in admiration.

For guys, on the other hand, we do not seem to "have" the "right" to wear such things, but must rather seize that opportunity -- which, if we are very fortunate -- may become a right one day. For us, it's very much "Dare to be different". And that act can both open -- or close -- avenues of opportunity.
As guys, we just have to rise to it in our uniquely guyish way.
Seek out your own style, and choose wisely. We may not have much time left.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

There's a young lady who comes into my store on occasion ans she wears 40s/50s dresses even to the tied headband. She really lifts my spirits every time I see her.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.