#7DaySkirtChallenge on Instagram

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
photoguy207
Member Extraordinaire

#7DaySkirtChallenge on Instagram

Post by photoguy207 »

Check it out on Instagram. #7DaySkirtChallenge

https://www.instagram.com/p/CYBdw1ro10o ... =copy_link
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Re: #7DaySkirtChallenge on Instagram

Post by STEVIE »

Hi Photoguy
Sorry but if you had a thought thar this would be good for cafe members, please reconsider.
If you are a social media fan, how about you mount your own "skirt challenge"?
Sure, post on that one and you will may get some response but it is really just "hitching a ride".
Try thinking of something for regular guys who just happen to wear skirts, nothing too complex or over thought.
I did note that the lady wears trousers too and that is simply because she can and won't feel any need for permission to do so.
There we have one angle at least, most men don't feel "permitted" to wear skirts as men and won't until it is proven otherwise.
Nice suggestion though and I hope you can appreciate this response too.
Steve.
photoguy207
Member Extraordinaire

Post by photoguy207 »

If this post is inappropriate.

Please delete.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

photoguy207 wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 3:42 am If this post is inappropriate.

Please delete.
Nope. I'll not call it "inappropriate" in the least. The rationale behind that is that it was posted in the same vein as the original, but only failed to miss the detail that in out case it's about guys' skirts not gals' skirts which the original was entirely likely about.

I think somewhere in the "Pics and Looks" section I posted a 7-day spread of me -- and Kilted John is famous for those.

I just got back from a week in Savannah, GA/USA where I didn't don a pair of trousers even once. I'll just need to search back through the memory banks to figure out precisely I wore on any given day. One thing I was quite surprised about there is that the folks are quite quick to give compliments and ask questions; I found this rather charming.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

I am not sure why it is considered a challenge. Perhaps remembering to take a photo each day.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

photoguy207 wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 3:42 am If this post is inappropriate.
Hi Photoguy
My apologies if I made you feel this.
As Carl has said, do one for the guys.
My thought about social media in general is that it will reach a wider audience than The Cafe ever will.
Around here it's too much like preaching to the converted we need to spread the word as men to men who inhabit a mans world.
I don't think our Mods will mind me saying this but most blokes coming here do so in a skirt, not so many curious tourists and even less will become converts.
If you are involved in the media in any way, you may be in a position to give the revolution the kick in the ass it actually needs.
Fundamentally, the idea is good enough, not surprising that a female got there first, shame really.
Denimini, may have a valid point too. Why does it have to be a "challenge" and not just a bit of a lark for no reason other than the hell of it?
Steve.
photoguy207
Member Extraordinaire

Post by photoguy207 »

A little back story:

When I saw the original post on Instagram and clicked on the hashtag, up came a guy in a skirt posting the challenge.

I thought, the Cafe needs to see this asap since it is going on this week.

There actually is a lot of men in skirts activity on Instagram, great inspiration. I agree, more social media would help spread the word.

As for me, I'm not on there yet in a skirt.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

I don't see the harm in participating (except that I'm not really out to my family, so erm, not going to participate). What does it matter who started it or why?

That being said - @STEVIE - what challenge would you come up with? The #marcbchallenge (with his approval)? I think for these things to take off, the challenge has to be charity-related, dangerous (ie, milk crate challenge), or silly (target farm dress challenge). It has to pique social media's random sense of importance, and needs to have rules that define what to do. There have been some outfit swap ones, but I don't recall any that took off and reached my notice (if I notice, they must really be popular as I don't social media much).
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

As far as guys wearing anything but trousers, I'd bill it as the Dare to be Different! Challenge. Because, once you put both logs down one pipe you are most definitely different from the mass of lemmings out there. You will stand out, and that takes courage, stamina, and strength -- and those traits show through, especially if you pull it off effortlessly.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Coder wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 8:00 pmmarcbchallenge
Hi Coder
Sorry, but unless you mean Mark as in Mark from the cafe, I have no idea who you mean or why I'd be seeking permission to do anything at all.
As for "challenges", I'm out and about every day as it is and I don't do stunts.
The point I was trying to make originally is that, that specific one adds nothing to the move toward more men adopting skirts as a go to garment.
The real challenge is how we encourage other men to give it a try, I don't believe this is the answer and I don't actually claim to know it either.
Except perhaps that I dare to be different to the fullest extent of my tastes, imagination and wallet.
Steve.
mishawakaskirt
Member Extraordinaire

Post by mishawakaskirt »

denimini wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 7:26 am I am not sure why it is considered a challenge. Perhaps remembering to take a photo each day.
For some of our cafe members it's certainly no challenge.
Now for the women folk it might be a real challenge.
It means they might have to give up their leggings and or ripped blue jeans for 7 days and gasp wear skirts.
Mishawakaskirt @2wayskirt on Twitter

Avoid the middle man, wear a kilt or skirt.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

How about 100 days?

https://www.theguardian.com/fashion/202 ... r-100-days

Oddly enough, this popped up in my Instagram feed. I'm not suggesting anyone here actually try this, but through the article you can see the kind of community clothing/fashion/style can build. I kind of doubt - outside of MIS - this kind of "community" exists among men... perhaps I'm wrong!
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Hi Coder
When I saw your "100 day" post, I thought surely not, the same dress for a hundred days?
Ok I was wrong and it is exactly that. I don't think I know of anyone of any gender who would attempt this one.
Most certainly not me.
With regard to your comment re. community building, men don't seem to have the knack for it.
It is something that we should learn though as it would benefit us greatly.
Just another example where women have us beaten I'm afraid to say.
Steve.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

I could be up for that challenge if it were a skirt and top but for the family constraints! I presume that the offending garment(s) are washed periodically, although there is no enlightenment on this aspect. I would have to think very carefully as to which items as 100 days would almost certainly encompass all four seasons over here.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

I didn't click through to the Facebook page, having avoided that site for years... from the article it sounds like they keep the same dress but change up accessories - belts, scarves, jewelry, etc... If one was to pick a top and skirt, I assume you'd do the same - maybe layer a cardigan when it gets colder, or wear some sort of legwear.

Without going to the retailers site, or delving into how it began, this sure feels like a gimmick that was started to sell dresses, that caught on with a life of its own.